By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mistakes a console companies tend to make

disolitude said:

6. Lack of or bad copyright protection to prevent piracy - Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, 3DO, Sega CD, PSP

I disagree.  DS has less copyright protection than most of the above, and it hasn't hurt it.  Pretty much every system from PS1, PS2, etc... all have mod kits to get around it, etc...

Around the Network

@catprog

I see where you're coming from with using Disks for psp. Portable system with rediculous load time is a problem.

@jlauro

Thats a valid point. Despite the copyright issues DS is kicking butt and software sales are not affected.

@mesoteto

I would create a new point here...
Underestimating your competitor - Snes(for underestimating Genesis), Saturn(for PS1), PS3 and XBOX 360(for wii)

@disolitude

what are you talking about games loading faster on XBox?? PS3 has a standard HD and games will taking advantage of it (oblivion)

and multi-dvds vs 1 blu ray would be a tipping point for someone deciding which to buy or the deciding point for someone who owns both consoles

and you complain about games?? but I am currently overrun with games. i mainly play CoD4 and Pixeljunk Monsters but I am also working my way through Uncharted and Ratchet. Also got Assasins as a gift and havent even started. and on year 2015 with my NCAA franchise. and got 2 friends i race motorstorm with about once a week. i am unstoppable on calling all cars, have a higher score on stardust then any of my friends, and use the media center funcions to play my music on my killer speakers in the living room (over 800 songs organized with media player 11) also got a few downloaded movies that are only a click away

for me the PS3 has more then delivered and it isnt even close to peaking with the games

The greatest mistake console makers have made before recently: recycling the same system model ad nauseum, with only incremental upgrades to how it worked. To be fair, the model started by the Atari 2600 and refined control-wise by the NES (separate games playable on a core system that hooks up to a TV, controlled by a two-handed device with directional input on the left and buttons on the right) worked remarkably well. But nobody was willing to really venture beyond that model beyond adding more buttons and directional controls until Nintendo said "enough" and made the highly accessible Wiimote.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

dgm6780 said:
@disolitude

what are you talking about games loading faster on XBox?? PS3 has a standard HD and games will taking advantage of it (oblivion)

and multi-dvds vs 1 blu ray would be a tipping point for someone deciding which to buy or the deciding point for someone who owns both consoles

and you complain about games?? but I am currently overrun with games. i mainly play CoD4 and Pixeljunk Monsters but I am also working my way through Uncharted and Ratchet. Also got Assasins as a gift and havent even started. and on year 2015 with my NCAA franchise. and got 2 friends i race motorstorm with about once a week. i am unstoppable on calling all cars, have a higher score on stardust then any of my friends, and use the media center funcions to play my music on my killer speakers in the living room (over 800 songs organized with media player 11) also got a few downloaded movies that are only a click away

for me the PS3 has more then delivered and it isnt even close to peaking with the games

I know this is off the original topic but I have to reply...

1. Blu-ray 1x sequential transfer at 36mbps (4.5MB), 2x @ 72mbps (6.75MB). Non-sequential access will drastically decrease the transfer speed in videogames.
DVD 16x (360 DVD drive) sequential transfer speed at 22,160,000 KB(21.13MB)
PS3 has a Blu-ray drive @ 2x, its still 6.75MB/s compared to DVD 16x 21.13MB/s transfer rate.  Xbox 360 drive is much faster than PS3.

2. I need an argument why 2 DL DVD's are worse than one bluray. It sure isn't because you say so.  No one I know cares if its 3 DVD's or 1. The actual tipping point in buying a multi platform game are achievement points and online service both of which are superior on xbox 360.

3. I'm happy you are pleased with your PS3. However there isn't a must play experience on ps3 that is exclusive to ps3 at this point. If there was, I would buy it immediatly. All that other stuff you mentioned...COD4, Assasins Creed, NCAA, music, movies can be played on xbox360 ...with better online service...and sometimes better graphics.

Around the Network

what you are totally ignoring is that HD is standard on PS3. DMC4 is going to load faster on the PS3 then XBox. its not all transfer speed from the disc that determines load times. on this point you are 100% WRONG

and seriously you think achievements are a tipping point for someone trying to decide which to buy? Home will introduce these to PS3 anyways, but that was a pretty weak point

and i dont know what to tell you if you cant see why 1 blu ray is better then multiple DVD's. guess you like getting up and swapping discs.

hmm maybe think of something along the lines of The Orange Box. Lets call it The Capcom Collection. The Capcom Collection comes with every version of Resident Evil, every itertation of GTA, and older stuff (Final Fight, Ghosts & Goblins) all on one blu ray disc but on Xbox its 3-5 DVDs and totally loses that cohesive feeling of a collection at your fingertips and instead is a collection of discs.

dont know why i tried to make that point, you dont and wont agree. apparently to you swapping discs is a BIG TIME non factor i dunno

Sorry about the blank post lol. Too many delays for games, due to complex system to develop games = PS3, Sega Saturn. Terrible hardware that breaks down easily = XBox 360, PS2, PS1. Limited supply of hardware = Nintendo Wii.

@ Dark_Lord_2008 - you are correct there infact those are already on the list. Here is the full list thus far.

1. Price too high - Sega Saturn, PS3, 3DO, Neo Geo

2. Lack of games available at launch- Sega Saturn, N64, Sega 32X, PS2

3. System reliability - Xbox 360, Ps2, PS1, Atari Jaguar, Atari 5200

4. Pointless Ad-ons - Sega 32X, Jaguar CD, 64DD

5. Difficult to program for - PS3, Sega Saturn, PS2, N64

6. Lack of or bad copyright protection to prevent piracy - Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, 3DO, Sega CD, PSP - While some of these had copyright protection, for those systems listed it was broken in less than a year

7. Short Supply - Wii, PS2

8. Unnecessary Censorship - SNES, n64

9. Allowing only 3-5 games per company per year - NES, SNES

10. No 3rd party support - N64, Sega Saturn, Tubographix, Master System, gamecube

11. Using the wrong media format - N64(cardriges), PSP (UMD disks - think of the load time that could have been avoided if memory stick was used instead to load games)

12. Awful PR - Saturn, PS3, Jaguar

13. Gone mad with power (thinking technically superior means best) - PS3, Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo

14. Bad console idea to begin with - Virtual Boy, Sega 32X, Philips CDi

15. Underestimating your competitor - Snes(for underestimating Genesis), Saturn(for PS1), PS3 and XBOX 360(for wii)

Quite a big list...I don't know what else could be added.

@Sky Render - the point you made about lack of innovation of controlls is valid but I don't think it can be classified as a mistake on behalf of PS3 and Xbox 360. There are things Wii mote is good for and there are things its not...Mortal Kombat Armageddon for example.

16. Being Evil (Microsoft)

17. Using your evilness to muscle yourself into another market (Microsoft, Sony PS3/Blu-Ray)

18. No online support (Gamecube)