By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Snowden applies for political asylum in Russia

Updated with video from the meeting:
http://vk.com/video-30380412_165821436?list=e9f356659e30c55851

Shared on the vk.com, it's local social network. Do not worry, NSA isn't spying on you there, FSB does.

Around the Network

I just hope we can find him and execute this guy because this traitor disgusts me and put his entire country in jeopardy, and now he going to blab to other countries about our secrets. I just want him dead and buried hopefully in an unmarked grave in the desert.

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

oh well, not much difference between governements anymore. some places will be like home. this government is full of shit. good for this guy.

Ji99saw said:
I just hope we can find him and execute this guy because this traitor disgusts me and put his entire country in jeopardy, and now he going to blab to other countries about our secrets. I just want him dead and buried hopefully in an unmarked grave in the desert.

Explain how he put the country in jeopardy. As Arnold Rimmer said, anyone up to anything illegal who isn't a complete idiot was already aware that law enforcement can tap communications, and would be taking countermeasures against it anyway. All Snowden did was reveal that they were doing it to *everyone*, not just suspected bad guys.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

That's it, Obama is calling Putin today :D

There're number of official DoS statements in the news already. Typical "We're disappointed bla-bla-blah", nothing too serious at the moment. Psst, being hypocrites as usual.

Around the Network
Ji99saw said:

You want to execute someone for telling the truth to the people? Welcome back in the dark ages.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

USA should be ashamed they even spy Brazilians? I hope this guy can find a country to live.

kowenicki said:
sales2099 said:

Seems like this guy didn't think far ahead. He does a righteous act, but in doing so ruins his life and is now a nomad looking for a country that will take him in. What about his income, family, and friends? He really messed his life up.

And do you think homegrown terrorists in the United States are going to talk important things by the phone/internet anymore? Offcourse not, they will do it all in person from now on. The NSA's job of finding evidence on terrorist suspects just got THAT much harder.

That's why I have no qualms saying this guy deserves what he gets. He did more bad then good, essentially telling terrorists to not talk electronically anymore.

Nailed it.

And what a hypocrit this geek is... He thinks the US and western governments are corrupt and manipulative, so he chooses... Russia.  Yep, that bastion of democracy, freedom and a caring state with zero corruption at all levels is his new choice of a great place to live.

lmao. What a pillock.

Couldn't it be he just sacrificed any possibility of living well in the hopes of making the country he actually cares about a better place?  Assange can't move much either.  He's not picking places based on how good they are, but if he can live without being in prison.  That's what it seems like anyway.  If he can enlighten the U.S. populace while limiting the damage he does I'd be happy.

Also, everyone here assuming no other country is doing this stuff when they obviously are are a little out of touch no?

NYANKS said:
kowenicki said:
sales2099 said:

Seems like this guy didn't think far ahead. He does a righteous act, but in doing so ruins his life and is now a nomad looking for a country that will take him in. What about his income, family, and friends? He really messed his life up.

And do you think homegrown terrorists in the United States are going to talk important things by the phone/internet anymore? Offcourse not, they will do it all in person from now on. The NSA's job of finding evidence on terrorist suspects just got THAT much harder.

That's why I have no qualms saying this guy deserves what he gets. He did more bad then good, essentially telling terrorists to not talk electronically anymore.

Nailed it.

And what a hypocrit this geek is... He thinks the US and western governments are corrupt and manipulative, so he chooses... Russia.  Yep, that bastion of democracy, freedom and a caring state with zero corruption at all levels is his new choice of a great place to live.

lmao. What a pillock.

Couldn't it be he just sacrificed any possibility of living well in the hopes of making the country he actually cares about a better place?  Assange can't move much either.  He's not picking places based on how good they are, but if he can live without being in prison.  That's what it seems like anyway.  If he can enlighten the U.S. populace while limiting the damage he does I'd be happy.

Also, everyone here assuming no other country is doing this stuff when they obviously are are a little out of touch no?

I wouldn't really compare Snowden with a rapist.  Paranoia aside Assange would be able to live just about anywhere but the US were it not for his penchant for rape. (and no... it really is "real" rape if you look at the criminal charges and accounts that were leaked, which amusingly assange was totally against being leaked.)

Even when it comes to leaking, the two did it in such totally different ways.  Assange did it for fame and profit... and was having fun traveling around like nothing happened because nothing could be held against him. 

Snowdon... I can't say he didn't do it for those things... but if he did he sure didn't make a good plan of it.  Due to him actually committing a crime with his leaking he actually needs asylum.  He's really much more analogus to Bradley Manning then Julian Assange.

Mr Khan said:
Ji99saw said:

Explain how he put the country in jeopardy. As Arnold Rimmer said, anyone up to anything illegal who isn't a complete idiot was already aware that law enforcement can tap communications, and would be taking countermeasures against it anyway. All Snowden did was reveal that they were doing it to *everyone*, not just suspected bad guys.

Well argueably tapping everyone was getting SOME results.  It's something that shouldn't be acceptable, but no doubt there are plots that will take longer to discover/not be discovered.

Putting the country at  risk is a bit hyperbolic since really, I don't think there are any plots that big that a regular net would miss but there likely would be some danger... if the NSA ends up stopping it's program.  (Probably not going to happen honestly.)

That said, it's a danger we should really be willing to face.