By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nokia Lumia 1020- Phone with 41MP camera!

Is a good camera a reason to pick one phone over another?

Yes 50 50.51%

No 12 12.12%

Depends on what OS it is running 17 17.17%

actual cameras are always... 16 16.16%

Total:95

Arriving with exactly zero surprise factor, the Nokia Lumia 1020 has been officially unveiled at a exclusive launch event in New York.

The new phone comes with a 41MP camera, a xenon flash and LED light together atop the new Pureview sensor, and seems to have crammed it into a much thinner chassis compared to the original 808 Pureview.

Each shot will generate a 38MP picture for all the fancy imaging and editing you can do, but will also create a 5MP shot for sharing easily on social networks too.

The technology is made possible thanks to combining seven pixels into one, which Nokia is calling oversampling, giving you not only a 5MP image but one that has a large amount of detail in one place.

This oversampling is also going to be used in the video camera as well, bringing the same clarity to the HD movies.

Stable footing

Optical image stabilisation is on board, apparently completely redesigning the system, which now uses ball bearings and motors to maintain the stability when you're wiggling your phone around if taking photos and video.

Carl Zeiss wide angle lenses will be on offer, with six lens elements used to enhance the sharpness further. Nokia's CEO Stephen Elop spent a long time extolling the virtues of the zoom power of the 41MP lens, but the examples on offer didn't look as sharp when cropped down. However, the clarity is still high, literally picking out a needle in a haystack when zoomed in.

Nokia Pro Camera is also on board, giving a much wider range of settings than you'll see on other Windows Phone 8 devices, allowing you to control exposure, manual focus and white balance to really give more oomph to your shots.

Long exposure is there too, giving the opportunity to shoot up to 4 seconds of long exposure shots, giving it the power of much better cameras out there. There's also an improved video microphone, giving a higher dynamic range of sound, helping to reduce distortion as seen in the HTC One and iPhone devices - called Nokia Rich Recording here. Got to love brand names, right?

Snappy price and colours

The specs still aren't on the same level as the HTC One or Galaxy S4, with only a 4.5-inch WXGA AMOLED screen, although it does have the advanced PureMotion HD+ technology to improve the images on the screen.

There's the expected 2GB of RAM on board to help with the massive processing needed, but only a dual core Snapdragon S4 CPU on board, which is a lot lower in the power stakes and will be a stick for those that love to compare specs to beat the Nokia with.

It's also only got a 2000mAh battery too, which may struggle to keep up when you're snapping all day long, which is why the advanced grip with extended battery will be crucial to many. However, it's worth reminding everyone that Nokia's integrated approach to battery management means that it's not like for like when compared with the Android handsets of the world.

The good news for colour fans though: it's coming in yellow as well as white and black. Colours are important, people.

From ~http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-1020-officially-launched-as-41mp-toting-windows-phone-1164907

here's a video showing it off

~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUMNm9-dgJ0

it even has a camera grip accessory which even extends battery life!

~http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/accessories/accessory/pd-95g/

Here are some pictures taken with it

~http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/pictures-in-pictures-nokia-demoes-the-lumia-1020-s-snapping-prowess-1165325

Could this be the phone to finally rival cameras? 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

The phone is beyond impressive...but I don't want it at the moment.

I'm perfectly happy with the Lumia 920. It takes pretty bitchin photos too and rest of the specs aren't much different.

kowenicki said:
disolitude said:
The phone is beyond impressive...but I don't want it at the moment.

I'm perfectly happy with the Lumia 920. It takes pretty bitchin photos too and rest of the specs aren't much different.

Same here.  I have been out about for a walk on the hills today with my daughter in the sunshine and taken some stunnig pics with the 920.

Nice. I do hope that we get the "Camera Pro" app that comes on the 1020 though. Looks much more robust than the current stock camera app. Knowing Nokia, it should be delivered to all their devices within a month or two... They take care of their product line.

Dang its a windows phone, nit worth the camera

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

People still buy Nokia phones?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
papamudd said:

brilliant.  seriously.... brilliant.

Im sorry but their is nothing appealing to me about the floundering wp OS at this point in time. I already have an android so for me to switch phones would require something more. I mean i guess i could root the phone and install Android. I enjoy my galaxy phone and will most likely upgrade to a newer version at some point. For me to switch brands would require it to have something more than a better camera. Such as android os or possibly Ubuntu.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Carl Zeiss lense. This will be THE camera phone, no other way around it.
Should have used a full HD screen though, the other specifications are underwhelming unfortunately.

papamudd said:
kowenicki said:
papamudd said:

brilliant.  seriously.... brilliant.

Im sorry but their is nothing appealing to me about the floundering wp OS at this point in time. I already have an android so for me to switch phones would require something more. I mean i guess i could root the phone and install Android. I enjoy my galaxy phone and will most likely upgrade to a newer version at some point. For me to switch brands would require it to have something more than a better camera. Such as android os or possibly Ubuntu.

No one is asking you to post here though. If something doesn't interest me, I just move right along...

You have your preferences but obviously some people are interested in Nokia Windows Phones as they are expected to sell 5-10 million of them every 3 months. You're just shitting on them and their preferences with your post. 

i wonder how good such 7in1 pixel oversampling will work with a dslr or a 40x superzoom compact cam

This phone is amazing. Only if Nokia made an Android version :(