By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

irstupid said:
VGPolyglot said:
Wouldn't they have to delay the console? Or wouldn't that make it more expensive?

Ram is pretty cheap.  It shouldn't be that expensive to add an extra 4 gigs of ram.  Didn't it already have 8 gb?

you can buy a 4gb ram card easy for sub $30 for a single consumer.  For a big company like Microsoft buying millions and putting them into a console, they would get a good deal or already have deals, ect.  I doubt it would even cost $10 extra per console.  

Yes, it seems like an easy thing to do that would add the RAM – plus they would get some more ‘core gamer’ publicity.

I would think the easiest thing would be just use double chips.  But that would put you at 16gb of RAM. I don't think that will happen.

It would move the available RAM from 5gb to 9gb for games.  It would give them some good publicity and add some bragging rights and buzz.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Maybe if they do then Sony can do the same :P

No way.

They can't make a change like that when the console is coming in a few months.

Totally impossible, but if believe it helps someone... then be my guest.

It never gets old reading some people comments acting like they know what they're talking about. Anyway can't wait to see what the final specs are going to be if in fact they do change, but if I had to bet the current 8 gb of RAM will be the final spec for RAM.

Okay so if they increase it to 12 and 9 GB will be usable for gaming...what is better

9 GB DDR3
or
8 GB GDDR5

Legit question cause I haven't got a clue.

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
PScollector said:

It went from the rumor of underclocking because of performance issues, to now overclocking..........
and while 12gig of ram would be great, both of these rumors wont come to pass. Wouldnt the Xbox one be well into the production phase by now?

Aren't rumors fun?  Many of the rumors this year though have come true.

And as far as production - not necessarily.  The Xbox 360 didn't go into production until August 2005.  It was released in North America on 11-22-2005. 

I do think they will want to get it in so people can show their friends on the big Thanksgiving weekend.   (US Holiday that starts the Holiday shopping season.)

I'm not trying to be negative or anything but let's hope we don't have another massive hardware failure rate if they do change the specs last minute. I love the Xbox brand so I hope everything goes well in the hardware department. 

I heard adding 256 mb ram in xbox 360 (in 2006) cost microsoft cost $1 billion. But this time it might be different. Now ram is very cheap and microsoft have shitload of money to invest. If they add more ram then in the end it will be gamers who will have benefit.

riderz13371 said:

Okay so if they increase it to 12 and 9 GB will be usable for gaming...what is better

9 GB DDR3
or
8 GB GDDR5

Legit question cause I haven't got a clue.

That is a good question, but it would be 9gb DDR3 vs 7gb GDDR5, the PS4 still needs the 1reserved.

they would both have their own benefits i would imagine.  I guess alot depends on just what they can do with the ESRAM

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

NobleTeam360 said:
Zappykins said:

Aren't rumors fun?  Many of the rumors this year though have come true.

And as far as production - not necessarily.  The Xbox 360 didn't go into production until August 2005.  It was released in North America on 11-22-2005. 

I do think they will want to get it in so people can show their friends on the big Thanksgiving weekend.   (US Holiday that starts the Holiday shopping season.)

I'm not trying to be negative or anything but let's hope we don't have another massive hardware failure rate if they do change the specs last minute. I love the Xbox brand so I hope everything goes well in the hardware department. 

True, nobody wants another hardware problem.  But that particular problem was not caused by the increase in RAM.

I am more concerned about over clocking the GPU than adding more RAM.  Rumors say it is running cooler than expected. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

DD_Bwest said:

That is a good question, but it would be 9gb DDR3 vs 7gb GDDR5, the PS4 still needs the 1reserved.

they would both have their own benefits i would imagine.  I guess alot depends on just what they can do with the ESRAM

It really depends on the usage scenario.

If for example you weren't approaching the 7Gb memory limit, then the 7Gb of faster memory would be preffered.
However, if you are hitting the 7Gb limit and need to start sacrificing parts of the game in order to fit into that memory footprint, then more memory would be preferred over faster memory.

Obviously a mix of Fast+Large memory is always welcome over either scenario.

I would have liked for more and faster Ram thrown into both consoles, but I'm still interested to see how the current memory amounts on the consoles will translate over to console ports on the PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--