By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ZombiU Was "Not Even Close" to Profitable, No Plans for a Sequel

The game had a huge marketing budget based on what I saw. I guess Ubi were hoping it would do 1m by the end of its life but it doesn't look like it will pass 500k at this rate.

The sales have nothing to do with the wii U's demographic, the game has been sold to 1/6 of the systems userbase which is solid. The problem is the userbase size.

By any means it not like this is a must have anyway. Redsteel was similar in that it was quite mediocre mechanically, but the concept was so exciting.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Slimebeast said:

It's easy to say in hindsight that the game wouldn't become a success.

But at the time everybody thought it would sell fairly well. 1-1.5 million was probably a reasonable target lifetime (some copies at discount) and upside was +2 million.

Probably it cost $20 million. All AAA games cost at least $20 million. That requires 1 million copies at full price to break even.

Well it would need to sell about 700k at full price if the budget was $20m. Though that doesn't include advertising costs and as far as I remember it had TV spots.

Well that also depends on how you do the accounting. Fixed costs versus variable costs etc.

Generally speaking, I don't think it's fair to separate all games from their publisher and count all the revenue towards the core development budget when we know that publishers, especially big publishers like Ubisoft, have huge costs on the publisher side of the company, not just costs of their development teams. All the infrastructure, legal stuff, administration, insurance, trademark management & patents, head-hunting, executive salaries and big office buildings must be paid too. The whole organization must be paid for. And their revenue comes only from games.

A game at full price gives roughly $30 to the publisher. I don't think it's fair to assume that just because those $30 covers the core development costs of a certain game, the game broke even. Technically and in publisher accounting it might be registered as breaking even (although I doubt it), but in the eyes of the publisher if every single Dollar from game sales goes towards the development team I doubt they regard that game as breaking even. To the publisher such a game lost them money.

outlawauron said:
Conegamer said:
pezus said:
Well, that confirms it. WiiU needs a price cut this year. Next year will be too late. Even Ubisoft is ready to jump off soon

Let's not jump the gun. This is one game we are talking about, and they have a good 3 or 4 games on the way by the end of the year. If those games underperform, then we can worry. But right now it seems a tad pre-emptive to say they're ready to "pull the plug" on the system, because that doesn't seem to be true.

Having said that, if none of their forthcoming titles sell over, say, 200k LT then I could see them ending support.

I do think you agree it needs a price cut though. It needed one months ago. $350 for the Wii U is far too much.

Yes. But I don't think the price is the issue, as most areas are already selling the system for £200/£250 as opposed to £250/£300. It's the games and advertising which are needed, though an official cut could obviously up the buzz for the system.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

ghettoglamour said:

Release it on non-dead consoles if you want to break even at least.

Edit: I've just checked up its sales here and it actually sold quite decently (460k). What were they expecting, to sell more than Mario Bros? They should have spent less money to make it then. It's their fauolt

they were expecting that wii u would sell twice as much consoles and therefore they can sell twice as much zombie u's=1mio+

it's definitivly not their fault as ubi soft is supporting the wii u better than nintendo-and that is extremly unusual.A similar support from nintendo for the wii u as ubi soft does and wii u would have sold twice as much consoles.

Conegamer said:
outlawauron said:
Conegamer said:
pezus said:
Well, that confirms it. WiiU needs a price cut this year. Next year will be too late. Even Ubisoft is ready to jump off soon

Let's not jump the gun. This is one game we are talking about, and they have a good 3 or 4 games on the way by the end of the year. If those games underperform, then we can worry. But right now it seems a tad pre-emptive to say they're ready to "pull the plug" on the system, because that doesn't seem to be true.

Having said that, if none of their forthcoming titles sell over, say, 200k LT then I could see them ending support.

I do think you agree it needs a price cut though. It needed one months ago. $350 for the Wii U is far too much.

Yes. But I don't think the price is the issue, as most areas are already selling the system for £200/£250 as opposed to £250/£300. It's the games and advertising which are needed, though an official cut could obviously up the buzz for the system.

The US isn't as lucky as EU when is comes to unofficial price drops. An official price drop with a big release (pikmin 3?) would help generate some positive buzz which the system sorely needs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Well. You can't really expect it to sell all that much more than 500k as a launch title, and since that what exactly have Ubisoft released for the system?

No sequel is a shame, but no surprise. But if they were expecting millions they have no one but themselves to blame.

Why not? especially when Ubi's mature launch title on WIi did WAY better sales wise and was reportedly an even bigger piece of crap? It is kinda Ubi's fault, they put their faith blindly into WIi U and thought it was going to do much better than its already doing. Well you live and learn i guess. 

outlawauron said:
JGarret said:
Was about to post this.I saw it on GI (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday)

There´s also an interview with Peter Moore: "The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."

To be expected when Nintendo puts such a low priority on their online infranstructure.

What gives you the impression they put a low priority on it?

at least we can put this Zombi U made money debate to rest.

Barozi said:
osed125 said:

The top 10 is definitely higher. This image is old, there are definitely much more expensive games that are not there.

You have games that have costed more than $100 million to make (with the biggest exaggeration of all time which has been Star Wars the Old Republic, with $200 million total in budget). 

The image was made or updated in 2012 (The Old Republic numbers are from January 2012) so it's not that old.
What else should be on there ?

GTA V will certainly be there, but it's not out. GT6 is surely cheaper than GT5 (Polyphony said that themselves). Halo 4 maybe but even then the 10th and 9th and 8th place would be $60m.

Also from various Google research I've noticed that there are many unconfirmed numbers flying around. I would only trust the ones coming from the developers or publishers.

Kotaku says Halo 3 was $55m (that's what's in the image), Polygon says it's $30m (and another $30m advertising costs).
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/25/spencer-halo-4-is-microsofts-most-expensive-game/

I also don't think that Max Payne 3 had a $105m budget.
Here the salary of people in the industry:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167355/
About $80k per year,  which means that Rockstar hired 200 people for 6 1/2 years to work on Max Payne 3 or 400 people for 3 1/4 years (time between announcement and release were 3 years).

Btw. after they shipped the game 35 people worked at Rockstar Vancouver:
http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1712961&highlight=

Salary is only one of the many things that goes into development cost, given that game took a lot of time to make (plus some delays) I don't see why the game wouldn't cost $105 million (especially given Rockstar record). 

This is the best I could find about Halo 4, it's all speculation, but Spencer said that it's not even close to anything they have made before, and they say that it might have costed $100 million (not sure if that includes marketing).

I remember someone saying that Bioshock Infinite was also very expensive, but I can't find any source.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Actually this is not to surprising.. Nintendo consoles depend on Nintendo games first and foremost to move systems... now if Zombie U came out say next year.. it might have done better.. (Though I have to admit 460,000 on a system of 4 million or less total users.. does not sound that bad really) But I doubt many early adopters of the Wii U was a huge fan of Zombie games.. (Though once again.. it still does not sound that bad.. when you look at the numbers.. I guess the only question maybe is that the pack in's as seen on Amazon's bundle?? or is that just the game??) Anyway.. it makes one wonder if they should not have had Rayman Legends ready at launch instead of this.. (It would have most likely remained a exclusive.. and would have sold a little better at least.. ) Sorry that this could not have had another game at least.. and been a franchise.. I don't like survival horror games.. but even I have to say this one did have potential.. sad to see it go..

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)