By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 6 demo vs. Gran Turismo 5

Tagged games:

Kyuu said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXriG8P31E

You're right. This video confirms your comment. But since Forza 4's AI was a step backwards from Forza 3, GT6 might suffer a similar fate but hopefully it wont.

Turn 10 did a really good job with Forza 3 AI... it is better than GT5, Forza 4 and GT6 (if they use the same used in GT5 or anything worst).

They will try to change that with Forza 5 using the Cloud but I can't say for now how that will improve the AI.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

So the only reasons to upgrade would be the ever so slight graphical upgrade and the subtle boost in realism. There was no reason to put this on PS3 again except to get the additional sales.

If Polyphony Digital didn't waste so much time and resources trying to get the full power or close to the full power from the PS3 with GT5, they would have actually been able to release a good looking game earlier than 2010 and get a much more noticeably better looking game with GT6 sometime in the future, The sales for both games would have been good and the PS3 would have probably sold a bit better with an exclusive that came out earlier rather than four years after the system launched.  It would have been far more profitable for Sony.

Polyphony DIgital is a great studio, but probably the worst of Sony's bigger studios when it comes to being profitable for whatever console. There's a reason why Motorstorm isn't on the PS4 as a launch title and DriveClub is, and it's not because the developers wanted to try something different. It's to have a simlike/simcade racing game on the console to compete with Forza and still push sales to car enthusiasts while Polyphony wastes time with Gran Turismo 7, like we all know they're going to do.

Sorry, Motor Storm is on ps4 cause the sales where dropping with each release and the same people are making drive club because they've wanted to for 10 + years. You do know it's the same guys right? 

Second GT will well anywhere from 22-25 million copies this gen alone. So I think as for as profitability goes they are number 1 for Sony. 

ps3-sales! said:
Never understood the passion behind Gran Turismo and Forza. Beneath the shiny visuals lies boring and monotonous gameplay in my opinion.

I don't think it's boring or monotonous in anyway way. It's hard to understand why the game is so good if you don't have a profound love for all things cars and racing. I'd be willing to bet i put more hours in to GT than most do in WOW. If I could only choose one game to play for the rest of my life, GT would be it. The Zen moments are the best, when you do everything right and get a good lap time. It's not for noobs for sure, a very hard game to master. But that’s why I love it so much, if you put the time into it to understand it and get good, it will reward you with a sense of satisfaction that can't be found in other games. 

These compromises were inevitable; it's 2013, the PS3 is pretty much maxed out.

Recent PS4 footage has spoiled us a bit, in reality there's no way we were ever going to see GT6 pumping out this level of visuals at true 1080p. Some low res shadows and aliasing here and there is par for the course for even the best looking PS3 games.

Gt6 looks better for sure

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
Nsanity said:

Is the AI really this bad?

LMAO, that's hilarious. XD
More like AS: Artificial Stupidity.

ethomaz said:
Shinobi-san said:
Impressed by the dynamic lighting. Does this game have a full day/night cycle?

I hope they fix the frame rate issues come launch.

It has like GT5... add weather too... full day/night with weather cycles... in the 24 hours races everything can happen (you need to choose the right tire and change for another if rain or the humidity changed.

You mean like DLC type features?

Mmmfishtacos said:

Sorry, Motor Storm is on ps4 cause the sales where dropping with each release and the same people are making drive club because they've wanted to for 10 + years. You do know it's the same guys right? 

Second GT will well anywhere from 22-25 million copies this gen alone. So I think as for as profitability goes they are number 1 for Sony. 

I know it's from the same people.  It even reads that very sentence I mentioned Motorstorm 

Also what I meant when saying Polyphony Digital is the worst studio for being profitable isn't how much Gran Turismo sold.  We all know Gran Turismo is going to sell well because it's Gran Turismo.  It's the fact that Polyphony Digital could have helped the Playstation brand so much more than they did by better management of the brand.  They didn't have to try and maximize the power of the PS3 on the very first game, because after all that, they still used higher resolution versions of most vehicles that people bitched about.

Turn 10 managed the Forza series far better than Polyphony managed Gran Turismo.  Forza 2 released in 2007 and every two years they released another Forza game with noticeably better graphics quality, noticeably better sound quality, and more content.  The Forza series didn't sell as much, but the Forza series also doesn't carry the Gran Turismo name brand.  It doesn't matter if Gran Turismo 5 was only as good as Forza 2, it would have sold around the same amount because of name recognition alone and this is the reason why Polyphony was far less profitable for Sony than any of the other developers under them.  Polyphony could have put a release deadline to get a Gran Turismo 5 out in 2007, not Gran Turismo 5 Prologue which released in 2008, but a full Gran Turismo 5.  The game didn't have to look as good as the Gran Turismo 5 we received, they didn't have to include 1080p, and it didn't have to have the content like B Spec or as many cars that they had.  Two years later they could have immediately started working on increasing the games quality and later release an updated version with more content, B Spec, etc.  Then two years later release Gran Turismo 6 with the graphical quality we have for Gran Turismo 5 now.

Gran Turismo 5 coming out in 2010, was poor for more than a few reasons.  First off, if they were to have released the game closer to when the system launched, it would have sold more consoles.  I'm sure many fans that wanted a Gran Turismo got a 360 because of Forza 2 and 3, and may have stayed exclusive to Microsoft since.  Gran Turismo 5 is better, but the series aren't that different.  There's no reason to jump from the 360 to PS3 if all you're looking for is a great racing simulator.  The second reason is that because of the ridiculously long development time, Gran Turismo 5 was hyped all to hell, with the 1000+ cars, etc, then once the game released and what we actually got, it was a huge disappointment on so many levels.  The game didn't run in full 1080p, screen tearing and framerate issues increased far more in 1080p, most of those 1000+ cars are upscaled versions of cars in Gran Turismo 4, etc.  Gran Turismo 5 being overhyped also probably hurt its sales, because this was reflected on news stories and reviews all over.      

Gran Turismo 3 released in 2001 sold 15 million copies, while Gran Turismo 4 sold another 11 million.  Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was a beta and nearly five million people purchased it, that's how powerful the name brand is.  Finally, Gran Turismo 5 sold 10 million, and you know a few million of those sold through bundle PS3 consoles.  It's pretty clear that the long development time for Gran Turismo 5 hurt the brand while also hurting the Playstation brand, pushing customers over to the 360 to purchase Forza 2 then 3 while Gran Turismo 5 still hasn't came out.

Nsanity said:

Is the AI really this bad?

I don't understand why it is so hard for PD to put in some competent AI. All of the GT games have abysmal AI. So I am not surprised at all to see a video like that from a GT demo.

fordy said:

You mean like DLC type features?

No. These are features in the GT5 and GT6 retail version... no DLC.

About DLC they said we will see a new track and cars every month.