By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 6 demo vs. Gran Turismo 5

Tagged games:

Shinobi-san said:
Impressed by the dynamic lighting. Does this game have a full day/night cycle?

I hope they fix the frame rate issues come launch.

It has like GT5... add weather too... full day/night with weather cycles... in the 24 hours races everything can happen (you need to choose the right tire and change for another if rain or the humidity changed.

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Hm, what's the point in upping the resolution if you have to manually downgrade it in order to boost the performance to an acceptable level? While the screenshots do look nice I prefer a stable framerate in racing games, something Polyphony Digital does not seem to be able to provide yet. But since there's still plenty of time until the release I think they'll manage to fix this.

They boosted everything and the famerate issues are minor in the demo (just noticiable in the cockpit view... well with SSD even in cockpit view I didn't have framerate issues).

The full game will have everything stable.

Nsanity said:

Is the AI really this bad?

It's still better than Froza 4 but worst than Forza 3 (I think Forza 3 have the best AI in consoles)... that's a demo and not everything was showed... the new sound, AI and the same damage found in GT5 are not implemented in the demo.

colafitte said:
Illumination and shadows have improved, and physics too. Is a notable advancement, but what i wanted most, was improving the IA (races with IA rivals are a joke) and engine sounds, and those are still work in progress....

Kaz said they will show a new sound engine in the final version... now the AI I have no ideia but maybe we can have some surprises at Gamescom.

artur-fernand said:
Is there any reason for GT6 not to be a PS4 title? I still don't understand that, it would be much better for both the game and the console. The only theory I have is that Polyphony wanted to keep the tradition of two GTs on every PS.

There is... GT6 is almost done for PS3... a PS4 version will need two or three years to get ready... they started the PS4 version last year so I think in 2015.

And PS3 needed a new GT version.

Around the Network

Kyuu said:

LOL that is hilarious thanks for sharing. I don't really know what's up with PD having much difficulties just making the AI slightly less embarrassing..

lol try to not look at the AI in Forza 4... this demo is using the same AI found in the GT5 Spec 2.0 that is the most close to Forza 3 AI (the best AI in a console racing game)... way better than Forza 4 AI.

kupomogli said:

So the only reasons to upgrade would be the ever so slight graphical upgrade and the subtle boost in realism. There was no reason to put this on PS3 again except to get the additional sales.

If Polyphony Digital didn't waste so much time and resources trying to get the full power or close to the full power from the PS3 with GT5, they would have actually been able to release a good looking game earlier than 2010 and get a much more noticeably better looking game with GT6 sometime in the future, The sales for both games would have been good and the PS3 would have probably sold a bit better with an exclusive that came out earlier rather than four years after the system launched.  It would have been far more profitable for Sony.

Polyphony DIgital is a great studio, but probably the worst of Sony's bigger studios when it comes to being profitable for whatever console. There's a reason why Motorstorm isn't on the PS4 as a launch title and DriveClub is, and it's not because the developers wanted to try something different. It's to have a simlike/simcade racing game on the console to compete with Forza and still push sales to car enthusiasts while Polyphony wastes time with Gran Turismo 7, like we all know they're going to do.

There are a lot of reasons to buy this games... it is in a complete different league than GT5 or any other racing simulator game in consoles.

Soleron said:
I have no eye for these things, but it looks about the same as GT5. The text description makes it sound worse. Effective AA > a few more pixels in one dimension. 16 cars > 6.

Drive Club etc can look better with less effort because they don't have to code to the absolute limit of performance or make tradeoffs.

There's no reason whatsoever it couldn't have been PS3+PS4.

First... the final game will have 16 cars... just the demo have 6 cars... it's a time trial game and not races.

The AA can be better or worst... it's a different approuch... less render AA and more post processing AA (less GPU AA and more Cell AA).. that's the same AA that make games like God of War III looks good.

GT7 on PS4 in 2015... just wait.

Dgc1808 said:
ps3-sales! said:
Never understood the passion behind Gran Turismo and Forza. Beneath the shiny visuals lies boring and monotonous gameplay in my opinion.

I find driving boring and monotonous. My car gets me from A to B an that's all I care about. This is why I have no interest in paying for GT5/6 or any other sim racer. Love Burnout and WipeOut, though. Really hope that Drive Club is more of an arcade racer than a sim. If not, then the social features really need to pull me in.

EDIT: Certain modes can be fun, though. Off-road racing in a sim game I can enjoy. It's something that I don't get to do every day.

DriveClub is arcade .

Just to make a fair comparison... the GT5 Demo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt5-time-trial-blog-entry

There are another Demo launched in 2010 but I can't find that... this one is more based in GT5:P than GT5.