By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How has Nintendo done with their 1 year lead?

So?

Good 26 4.84%

Terrible 183 34.08%

Whats a Wii U? 64 11.92%

They dropped the ball. 144 26.82%

ok, could've been so much better though. 120 22.35%

Total:537
the_dengle said:
BloodyRain said:
the_dengle said:
You expect us to judge the console's first year... halfway through it?

lol

fair enough. Ok then how has Nintendo been doing with their head start in general then?

That's better. They got off to a good start but they've been doing awfully since January.

Context is important, though. With hardly any significant releases in the past 6 months, the Wii U has still sold nearly a million consoles year-to-date, while it has at least one major release lined up for each of the remaining six months of the year.

And yet, whether it winds up with a head start of 4 million sales or of 14, it hardly matters until we see how well the PS4 and Xbone sell at launch.

I'm very interested to see how well sales start to pick up once games are actually being released.

Ya, thats the thing with games though. Nintendo practically stopped supporting the wii early on, to work on the wii u. Yes game wise, they honestly don't have much to show as of now. They could've done so much better with compelling software and really get a head start on the competition. I presume that was their reason for launching the wii u so early. I'm not sure anymore though. It seems like maybe they just want to get the wii u out the door for those initial holiday sales then the slow adoption afterwards.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
think-man said:
Their one year head start doesn't mean anything, I can already see the Ps4 outselling it by mid to late 2014 & the Xbone will outsell in early 2015. I think the WiiU will probably be discontinued by 2017 aswell.

That would be quite a feat. In comparison, the Wii which has seen phenomenal sales (pushed by many non-gamer buying the console) in the 7th gen passed the Xbox 360 in the month of August 2007 so 9 months after launch. You're pretty much forecasting the same kind of success for the PS4 which I highly doubt we will see.

But the WiiU has sold very poorly and I can't see it really picking up steam apart from small bursts of sales with big game releases and black friday sales etc. I'm expecting the Ps4 with its price point to be selling well over double what the WiiU is pulling everyweek. 7-12 months Is not unbelievable in my eyes.

kljesta64 said:

casuals burned how ? they knew what they are buying and enjoyed wii sports(resort),wii fit, mario etc...at a super price point. and most people(casuals) buy it for someone as a gift.

How hyped it was, they bought it, used it for a week, then most never touched it again.  The marketing and technology of the Wii got them to purchase it and afterwards I'm sure they felt they blew their money. So yeah, they got burned.

There's a difference between getting hyped up about the marketing of the George Foreman grill and using it every day and the Wii where you use it for a week and realize you threw $200  on something you're never going to touch again.  No pun intended for the prior sentence if they're casual, pun intended if they're a gamer who bought the Wii and PS3.

Awesome.

Not launching with noteworthy exclusives was brilliant.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

think-man said:
TruckOSaurus said:

That would be quite a feat. In comparison, the Wii which has seen phenomenal sales (pushed by many non-gamer buying the console) in the 7th gen passed the Xbox 360 in the month of August 2007 so 9 months after launch. You're pretty much forecasting the same kind of success for the PS4 which I highly doubt we will see.

But the WiiU has sold very poorly and I can't see it really picking up steam apart from small bursts of sales with big game releases and black friday sales etc. I'm expecting the Ps4 with its price point to be selling well over double what the WiiU is pulling everyweek. 7-12 months Is not unbelievable in my eyes.

While I don't think it'll make up the ground necessary to catch up to what the 360 was at when Wii/PS3 launched, I do believe the fall/holiday lineup will jump start the Wii U sales and create a momentum that hopefully won't crash and burn come January 2014. It also remains to be seen if Sony can maintain a steady flow of games past the launch window. Hopefully they will have learned from the PS3 and Vita launches.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

The whole Wii U concept has been one big clusterfuck. Coupled in with green lighting software this early in U's life cycle that will do little to spur hardware sales and this is what you get. They abandoned Wii to chase...-I dunno what.

I do think people are overestimating PS4/1 though on their initial performances. But this is neither here nor there. As Nintendo has really fucked themselves at the start of this gen. Maybe they can turn it around, but it will be like turning a Sea Vessel and will take time. Time they don't have. I hope they can, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

kupomogli said:
kljesta64 said:

casuals burned how ? they knew what they are buying and enjoyed wii sports(resort),wii fit, mario etc...at a super price point. and most people(casuals) buy it for someone as a gift.

How hyped it was, they bought it, used it for a week, then most never touched it again.  The marketing and technology of the Wii got them to purchase it and afterwards I'm sure they felt they blew their money. So yeah, they got burned.

There's a difference between getting hyped up about the marketing of the George Foreman grill and using it every day and the Wii where you use it for a week and realize you threw $200  on something you're never going to touch again.  No pun intended for the prior sentence if they're casual, pun intended if they're a gamer who bought the Wii and PS3.

used for a week ? then how did they manage to sell 30 mil. wii sports resort and  over 20 mil. wii fit plus games/accesories 3 years after launch ? how do you explain over 65 mil. wiimotes sold ? for what reason are people buying wiimotes then for games. if we look at the DS why did it drop in sales ? no one can say it didnt have games or that it was a casual handheld or games didnt sell..simply put all people who care about games already had one  be it casual or not and thats the case with the wii. 

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kupomogli said:
kljesta64 said:

I'm not sure about that. If anything the poor 'hardcore gamer' seems to be most gullible to marketing hype. Games that rely on production values and story are the games hyped to high heaven and end up in the bargain bin the next week. Hell just look at RE5/6, Or most recently, The Last of Us. These cinema type games COMBINED won't sell as much as Wii Sports Resort. 

Hell I remember back in Wii's hey day, Bars in NYC had TV's set up with Wii Sports. It was amazing. And beautiful, ball busting bitches from NYC were playing the damn thing. 'Casual Gamers' aren't some ding bat consumers. They are pretty discriminate. 

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=206773

"Time for Nintendo to really start kicking their Wii U advertising into high gear. That starts off in the UK with a sponsorship deal for the Tour De France, which is said to attracts an audience of 3.5 billion people. I'd say it's a good thing to get out in front of them with Wii U!"

its time for advertisment

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Ya the delay of 1st party games is really unfortunate, had Pikmin, Rayman, W101, Wii Fit all been out by now then Wii U would probably be selling pretty decent. The only exclusives so far this year have been Lego City and Game & Wario so it makes sense why sales have been bad. Add those games to NSMBU, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, and Wii U line up starts to look pretty solid.

So overall id say they have messed up so far but there is a chance for a recovery. Starting in Aug there is an exclusive releasing about every 2-3 weeks, that combined with a new marketing campaign will build up momentum going into the holidays. During the holiday season they have Wii Fit, DKC and 3D World, those games are all pretty much gauranteed to sell 5m+ and with retailer discounts/bundles, Wii U will have a strong holiday.

They will need to continue that momentum in 2014 by releasing the big guns throughout the year, Mario Kart-spring, Smash Bros-summer, Wii Sports/Zelda combo-holidays and have 1-2 smaller exclusives like Yoshi, SMTxFE, Bayonetta, X mixed in between. A price cut alongside Mario Kart would be a great way to sell consoles early next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.