By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

I'm guessing the Kinect is having trouble identifying differences between Asians. Needs some more work, I think.

Around the Network

lol no biggie. So the X1 will not sell an extra 100k units this year.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cool, I mean sure some will probably blow this out of proportion but hey what can you do. It's not like their is much incentive to have Xbox One ready at launch for Japan in a country that has never really supported Xbox.

Makes sense, Japan is handheld nation anyways. If I were Sony, I'd do the same and push more stock towards the Americas and Europe and delay the Japanese release. Japan has become a small market, even for Sony.

Sales are sales i guess... but if they cannot make enough for the market then its probably best to not stretch too thin. Want to launch in that market with software/games that will sell the console and with stock available.. otherwise whats the point.

What will be interesting is when Sony can sell the PS4 in Japan... if they can do it by March and MS are still way off... pretty much game over in Japan i would think.

Though granted, considering how the Japan Market has been of late, I don't see either console doing stellar for a while.

Also 2nd tier - it's not a great word, feels like 2nd class....

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Another reason is probably that it is a nice gesture to stay on good terms with Japanese third party publishers. A presence at TGS shows that Microsoft still cares about the Japanese market.

I don't think so.  I mean, how many times have they skipped TGS?  Their presence means they must have bought another exclusive/timed exclusive game or seven for the Xbox One launch window.

Calling Japan tier 2 sounds bad. I expect this to be their worst selling one to date. They better hope does sell good here in the US or they are pretty much screwed in the next gen.

Gosh, how stupid do you have to be to flat out call a country second tier? All you have to say is, "We want to ensure a successful launch with plenty of great games and a practically nonexistent console failure rate for our Japanese fans."

Hire me as a PR guy, I don't ask for much.

burninmylight said:
Gosh, how stupid do you have to be to flat out call a country second tier? All you have to say is, "We want to ensure a successful launch with plenty of great games and a practically nonexistent console failure rate for our Japanese fans."

Hire me as a PR guy, I don't ask for much.

Second tier in terms of selling potential. Given Xbox sales in Japan, it is fitting.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

kowenicki said:
RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:
By the way... as i said in the other thread...

Isn't this the same for the PS4?

It's similar, but not quite the same. Microsoft spells out what Sony only thinks. This has basically been Microsoft's main problem over the last weeks.

100% correct assessment of the current situation.

transparency v mis-direction

or

stupidity v cunning

take your choice.

because you both know what Sony is thinking, nevermind the fact that Sony IS a Japanese country, please

I actually agree that this isnt a big deal since the Japanese gamers seem to treat xbox as a tier 3 console anyway.