By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WiiU is a generation ahead the Wii.

Is the WiiU a generation ahead from the Wii

Yes, cause HD, RAM, GPU, online... 254 69.97%

No, cause I hate Nintendo. 30 8.26%

Chinese food is way bette... 79 21.76%

Total:363
MohammadBadir said:
lt_dan_27 said:

I completely agree that the wiiU is a generation ahead of the wii. To bad the wii isn't a current gen console. It's between ps2 gen and this gen.

the bullshit haters say...

it's remarakble -___-

No HD, which is kind of the staple of this gen. How is the wii a current gen console in any way? It can barely keep up. The wiiU is known to be maybe 50% faster than current gen. No one can say that the wiiU is a next gen console though. It won't keep up with anything in a few years. 

Around the Network
lt_dan_27 said:
MohammadBadir said:
lt_dan_27 said:

I completely agree that the wiiU is a generation ahead of the wii. To bad the wii isn't a current gen console. It's between ps2 gen and this gen.

it's remarakble -___-

No HD, which is kind of the staple of this gen. How is the wii a current gen console in any way? It can barely keep up. The wiiU is known to be maybe 50% faster than current gen. No one can say that the wiiU is a next gen console though. It won't keep up with anything in a few years. 

yes because generations are defined by power -.-

lt_dan_27 said:
MohammadBadir said:
lt_dan_27 said:

it's remarakble -___-

If that's true, then no gen 8 system is truly next gen. All of the upcoming consoles are weaker than even a basic gaming PC, so they're all betting that power can't completely buy success. No suprise that Nintendo bet a good notch lower than MS or Sony to afford the gamepad, but ALL of them are betting low.

Soleron said:
Zero999 said:
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: lol, $50 tops. unless you think wii u would cost only a little more than x360 even though it has lots of more RAM, edram, much more expensive gpu/cpu ...

Miyamoto: PS4/Xbox One "easily $100 more if they came with Gamepad"

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/18/shigeru-miyamoto-apologizes-for-wii-u-game-delays-says-the-best-is-nearly-here

The direct replacement Wii U Pad cost in Japan out of warranty is also ~$100.

first of all, the link doesn't open. anyway it's like talking to a wall, the only way for the gamepad to cost $100 is at retail price with profits. It should cost at maximun $70 to manufacture vs 20-25 dollars for a regular controler. so if wii u had a regular controller instead of the gamepad, the difference in cost would only be about $50.

So you admit the difference in retail cost is $100. Therefore, I am not wrong in saying that it made the Wii U cost $100 more.

The link does open for me. I'm sure you can search around for another link if it doesn't for you. In it Miyamoto clearly states what I said. Is he wrong?

Are you some kind of electronics teardown expert that knows for sure it's $50 or $70 instead of $100? If not, please defer to the two pieces of evidence I have provided, versus the zero pieces of evidence you have provided.

"Because you think it can't be $100" is not evidence.

retail for a SEPARETE STAND ALONE GAMEPAD WITH GOOD PROFITS, not the one included with the video game.

wii u gamepad is a 3ds without a 3d screen, cpu, gpu and RAM memory, OR in other words: a regular controler + speakers, touchscreen, microphone, motion sensors... guess how much that would cost? not even close to $100.

lt_dan_27 said:
MohammadBadir said:
lt_dan_27 said:

it's remarakble -___-

considering ps360 are still 20+ million behind wii, they're the ones who couldn't keep up. Wii u is 4x stronger than the last gen ps360.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:

retail for a SEPARETE STAND ALONE GAMEPAD WITH GOOD PROFITS, not the one included with the video game.

No it's the repair/replace cost. Which should be close to actual cost. The retail cost is $150.

wii u gamepad is a 3ds without a 3d screen, cpu, gpu and RAM memory, OR in other words: a regular controler + speakers, touchscreen, microphone, motion sensors... guess how much that would cost? not even close to $100.

The screen is a touchscreen and quite large (6 inches). 3DS touchscreen is only 3 inches.

http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Wii_U_GamePad

Look at all those chips. $5-$10 each most likely.

It has 256MB of RAM. Microphone. Gyro. Wireless. Accelerometer. Magnetometer. Speakers. Camera. 

Dualshock: 1000mAh battery. Gamepad: 1500mAh. Battery capacity is expensive.

Xbox wireless controller is already $50. Add the RAM, big touchscreen, battery, camera, sensors, and so on and seriously tell me it's not $100.

And the Atari 7200 was a generation ahead of the Atari 2600 yet still considered Gen 1.

I believe history will lump WiiU in 7th gen with Wii, 360, PS3 and lump Nintendo's next console with Gen 8. Of course I could be 100% wrong but only time will tell.

Regardless you are completely correct in saying WiiU is a generation ahead of Wii for Nintendo.

SuperMarioWorld said:
Brutalyst said:
Yeah, the WiiU is a generation ahead of the Wii, but the Wii was a generation behind everything else out at the same time

yeah that's why PS3 introduced Move and Xbox introduced Kinect. To compete with a console a generation behind everythig else?!? You're so out of touch dude.

Well the fad has ended. POP!

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Egann said:
lt_dan_27 said:
MohammadBadir said:
lt_dan_27 said:

it's remarakble -___-

If that's true, then no gen 8 system is truly next gen. All of the upcoming consoles are weaker than even a basic gaming PC, so they're all betting that power can't completely buy success. No suprise that Nintendo bet a good notch lower than MS or Sony to afford the gamepad, but ALL of them are betting low.

I'd agree, I wish they were a little stronger. More in the range of a 7870 or 7950 as oppossed to 7850 and 7770. But remember how much people bitched about an expensive console? That's what we get. Even though microsoft and sony are betting a little lower than I'd hope, the wiiU is going to have trouble keeping up with next gen consoles, and 3rd party devs are going to have trouble making games for all three consoles because of the power difference. If it had twice the ram at a faster speed, it might be doable.

Of course the WiiU is one generation ahead of Wii. But don't forget the Wii was just an overclocked gamecube, literally, with a bit of ram added.

So now the gap between WiiU And PS3 is the same between gamecube/Wii and PS2. And I am generous.
And no released games yet (as an average) on WiiU proved this gap theory false.

In fact most of the multiplat games released on gamecube (an underclocked Wii) had better framerates and graphics than those released on PS2.
Can we say the majority of multiplat games on WiiU have better framerates and graphics than those on PS3? No.
And back in gamecube times the developers didn't put much effort in their gamecube conversion than today on WiiU.

And I love dearly my Wii and its games nonetheless.