By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WiiU is a generation ahead the Wii.

Is the WiiU a generation ahead from the Wii

Yes, cause HD, RAM, GPU, online... 254 69.97%

No, cause I hate Nintendo. 30 8.26%

Chinese food is way bette... 79 21.76%

Total:363
Gamerace said:
And the Atari 7200 was a generation ahead of the Atari 2600 yet still considered Gen 1.

I believe history will lump WiiU in 7th gen with Wii, 360, PS3 and lump Nintendo's next console with Gen 8. Of course I could be 100% wrong but only time will tell.

Regardless you are completely correct in saying WiiU is a generation ahead of Wii for Nintendo.

atari 2600 is gen 2 and atari 7800 is gen 3

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

retail for a SEPARETE STAND ALONE GAMEPAD WITH GOOD PROFITS, not the one included with the video game.

No it's the repair/replace cost. Which should be close to actual cost. The retail cost is $150.

wii u gamepad is a 3ds without a 3d screen, cpu, gpu and RAM memory, OR in other words: a regular controler + speakers, touchscreen, microphone, motion sensors... guess how much that would cost? not even close to $100.

The screen is a touchscreen and quite large (6 inches). 3DS touchscreen is only 3 inches.

http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Wii_U_GamePad

Look at all those chips. $5-$10 each most likely.

It has 256MB of RAM. Microphone. Gyro. Wireless. Accelerometer. Magnetometer. Speakers. Camera. 

Dualshock: 1000mAh battery. Gamepad: 1500mAh. Battery capacity is expensive.

Xbox wireless controller is already $50. Add the RAM, big touchscreen, battery, camera, sensors, and so on and seriously tell me it's not $100.

Just because the Xbox 360 controller is sold for $50 doesn't mean that it costs $50 to produce. It only cost $11 to produce back in 2006. The Wii U Gamepad might cost $100 at retail, but it is much cheaper to produce.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

globalisateur said:
Of course the WiiU is one generation ahead of Wii. But don't forget the Wii was just an overclocked gamecube, literally, with a bit of ram added.

And Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SD card slot, USB ports, Motion Controller, and a whole load of services and software compatibility that the Gamecube didn't have.

But don't let all these facts get in the way of a chance to make a snide comment.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
globalisateur said:
Of course the WiiU is one generation ahead of Wii. But don't forget the Wii was just an overclocked gamecube, literally, with a bit of ram added.

And Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SD card slot, USB ports, Motion Controller, and a whole load of services and software compatibility that the Gamecube didn't have.

But don't let all these facts get in the way of a chance to make a snide comment.

I thought the OP was talking about HD and shiny graphics.

Flanneryaug said:
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

retail for a SEPARETE STAND ALONE GAMEPAD WITH GOOD PROFITS, not the one included with the video game.

No it's the repair/replace cost. Which should be close to actual cost. The retail cost is $150.

wii u gamepad is a 3ds without a 3d screen, cpu, gpu and RAM memory, OR in other words: a regular controler + speakers, touchscreen, microphone, motion sensors... guess how much that would cost? not even close to $100.

The screen is a touchscreen and quite large (6 inches). 3DS touchscreen is only 3 inches.

It has 256MB of RAM. Microphone. Gyro. Wireless. Accelerometer. Magnetometer. Speakers. Camera. 

Xbox wireless controller is already $50. Add the RAM, big touchscreen, battery, camera, sensors, and so on and seriously tell me it's not $100.

Just because the Xbox 360 controller is sold for $50 doesn't mean that it costs $50 to produce. It only cost $11 to produce back in 2006. The Wii U Gamepad might cost $100 at retail, but it is much cheaper to produce.

But it adds $100 retail to the cost of the console.

That is literally my only point, and one with plenty of evidence.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Flanneryaug said:
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

Even if you were right wich you aren´t Nintendo sold the system at a loss so it never actually added it´s full value to the cost but you knew this allready.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

they can charge as much as they want for replacement's, doesn't change the fact that it's not even close to that cost.

Zero999 said:
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

thei can charge as much as they want for replacement's, doesn't change the fact that it's not even close to that cost.

Could you address the rest of it please?

vaio said:
Soleron said:
Flanneryaug said:
Soleron said:
Zero999 said:

Even if you were right wich you aren´t Nintendo sold the system at a loss so it never actually added it´s full value to the cost but you knew this allready.

EXACTLY. saying it adds $100 is the same as saying the xbox controller corresponds to one third of the current xbox360 price. and I'm sure wii u gamepad will retail for less than $100 when it comes to US.

Zero999 said:

EXACTLY. saying it adds $100 is the same as saying the xbox controller corresponds to one third of the current xbox360 price. and I'm sure wii u gamepad will retail for less than $100 when it comes to US.

I'll one month sig bet you $100+.