By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MORE WiiU Games Coming!

MTZehvor said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
MTZehvor said:
So...Nintendo had more games it could have shown...but deliberately chose not to in order to keep other companies from "copying" their game style?

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? E3 was the time for Nintendo to come out, guns blazing, and show it could compete with Microsoft and Sony. It was their chance to give people a reason to buy a Wii U. And yes, I realize it wasn't a big press conference like the other companies had, but nonetheless, it was still the most highly publicized and criticized Nintendo showing since...well...last E3.

Somehow, I have doubts that they would purposefully skip out on mentioning games that could convince people to buy a Wii U simply because they were concerned that someone might steal their ideas, or that people would have to wait.

But oh well. I guess time will tell if I'm right on that.

You're probably the only  one.  If Nintendo is talking about a late 2014 release, especailly something special and unique, why show it now?  MS copying Wii with Kinect significantly ate into Wii's market dominance, and Sony also copied with Move.  The longer it takes their competitors to match their innovation, the better for Nintendo.

The guess here is that Nintendo is working on a Wii Sports-like product for release in Christmas 2014.  There is no point in showing it now since it's still a long way away.  They will save it to have a big reveal at next year's e3, or maybe at the Tokyo Game Show.  If the product uses the Gamepad in a fun and crowd-pleasing way, it could be a game-changer, the kind of product that makes the mass market ignore the PS4 and XBOne.  Since these products already have some quasi-gamepad options in Vita and Smartglass, we would see them look to copy the new Wii U innovation as quick as they could.  The longer Nintendo waits to reveal the new product - in particular until after PS4 and XBOne have launched and the marketing underway - the better in terms of making copying more difficult.

Besides, this year PS4 and XBOne will bascially be sold out to their rabid fans.  The real competition for the mass-market is next year.

First off, why show it now? Well, let's think about that for a second. Nintendo's currently competing with two full fledged console launches for attention, and trying to help get their own console back into the race. How would they get their console back into the race? By getting more people to buy it and having comparable sales to the other two consoles. How do they get people to buy it? They give people reasons to buy it; namely, games.

So when someone goes to buy a console, and looks at the Wii U, PS4, and X-Box One, they no longer have as many reasons to buy the Wii U. Why? Because there aren't as many games announced for it that they know of. Even if your game isn't going to come out for another 2 years or so, it's still an excellent way to convince people to buy your system. People are willing to invest in something if they know that down the line, their investment will pay off. Nintendo announced all of one new game at E3 this year, in essence, giving people all of one new reason to buy the Wii U. That's not going to cut it in a competition with two new consoles.

And secondly....no, just, no. The Kinect and "Wand" as it were didn't do crap to eat at the Wii's dominance. By the point both those were released (mid 2011), the Wii essentially had no games being developed for it whatsoever (the only major titles that came out in the second half of the year for Wii were Return to Dreamland and Skyward Sword), and Nintendo had essentially abandoned it to begin working on the Wii U. By that point in time, very few people wanted a Wii because the motion control fad had died down by then, and no games were being developed for it. 

Here's a chart of video game console sales, with the only real worthwhile part being the bit at the end. As you can see, the Kinect boosted the 360s sales by...maybe 250,000 units for one month? Right after June ended, the 360 went back to its regular trend of selling slightly more than the PS3 and Wii each month. The Wii's dominance had essentially died down by the time mid 2011 rolled around, so saying that other companies motion control fads ate into it is more than a little disingenious.

I don't believe copying eats into Nintendo sales nearly as much as anyone thinks, especially considering that all copying of Nintendo stuff comes after people get the chance to use it and play with it. No one is going to be copying stuff from a trailer they release and quickly designing a game to match it to compete for sales in that market. The fear of being copied off of a trailer they would release is more than a little paranoid, and nowhere near worth giving up reasons for people to buy their console.

LMAO.

Kinect was released in the fall of 2010.  Look at your chart.  XBOX 360's sales were nearly double the previous Christmas, while Wii sales plummeted.  For the first time they were close together in totals.  Get your facts straight, eductate yourself, then come and discuss.

Kinect is widely credited with giving 360 a big foothold on the North American casual market that up until that point was dominated by Wii. Kinect was a massive success.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
So...Nintendo had more games it could have shown...but deliberately chose not to in order to keep other companies from "copying" their game style?

Am I the only one who doesn't buy this? E3 was the time for Nintendo to come out, guns blazing, and show it could compete with Microsoft and Sony. It was their chance to give people a reason to buy a Wii U. And yes, I realize it wasn't a big press conference like the other companies had, but nonetheless, it was still the most highly publicized and criticized Nintendo showing since...well...last E3.

Somehow, I have doubts that they would purposefully skip out on mentioning games that could convince people to buy a Wii U simply because they were concerned that someone might steal their ideas, or that people would have to wait.

Regardless of the "Stealing our ideas" bit, which does have some merrit considering Sony and MS have in fact blatantly ripped off even recent Nintendo concepts, the fact of the matter is, announcing games is a double edged sword. Sure, IF perhaps, they're working on, let's say, Star Fox or F-Zero or Wave Race or whatever, and they announced those at least as being "in development" at E3, sure, it could have lifted enthusiasm to a higher pitch, and many fanboys might have soiled themselves. But on the other hand, what do they have left to announce during the course of 2014? And then people would complain next year they they don't have enough "big surprises".

Proof of this is in the equally dual-edged nature of the Nintendo Directs themselves. Nintendo kind of sabotaged themselves, by announcing games like Yarn Yoshi, and Sonic: Lost World, and SMT x Fire Emblem, etc., earlier this year. If those games had been all announced at E3, along with what they did show, I think that alone might have helped put it over the top. But at the same time, they kind of had to announce some of that stuff back when they did, because they had an enormous drought going on, and needed to show people that there were in fact games coming. So they were kind of fucked either way. Show stuff then, but no longer have those games as big surprises for E3, or hold off for E3 ammo, but then have silence for all those months, in which people shit their pants more.

It was, and is, a no win, in that respect. Trust me, I was hoping the rumors or Star Fox were true, perhaps more than anybody. I've been waiting for a REAL SF sequel for over a decade. But I also respect the fact that, even IF they're working on it, it surely won't be out till 2014, if not later, so why announce it so far ahead of time? It's a dual edged sword, it really is.

For me, not having even 1 RPG planned in the first year of the consoles release is a travesty.

TheLastStarFighter said:
MTZehvor said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
MTZehvor said:

You're probably the only  one.  If Nintendo is talking about a late 2014 release, especailly something special and unique, why show it now?  MS copying Wii with Kinect significantly ate into Wii's market dominance, and Sony also copied with Move.  The longer it takes their competitors to match their innovation, the better for Nintendo.

The guess here is that Nintendo is working on a Wii Sports-like product for release in Christmas 2014.  There is no point in showing it now since it's still a long way away.  They will save it to have a big reveal at next year's e3, or maybe at the Tokyo Game Show.  If the product uses the Gamepad in a fun and crowd-pleasing way, it could be a game-changer, the kind of product that makes the mass market ignore the PS4 and XBOne.  Since these products already have some quasi-gamepad options in Vita and Smartglass, we would see them look to copy the new Wii U innovation as quick as they could.  The longer Nintendo waits to reveal the new product - in particular until after PS4 and XBOne have launched and the marketing underway - the better in terms of making copying more difficult.

Besides, this year PS4 and XBOne will bascially be sold out to their rabid fans.  The real competition for the mass-market is next year.

First off, why show it now? Well, let's think about that for a second. Nintendo's currently competing with two full fledged console launches for attention, and trying to help get their own console back into the race. How would they get their console back into the race? By getting more people to buy it and having comparable sales to the other two consoles. How do they get people to buy it? They give people reasons to buy it; namely, games.

So when someone goes to buy a console, and looks at the Wii U, PS4, and X-Box One, they no longer have as many reasons to buy the Wii U. Why? Because there aren't as many games announced for it that they know of. Even if your game isn't going to come out for another 2 years or so, it's still an excellent way to convince people to buy your system. People are willing to invest in something if they know that down the line, their investment will pay off. Nintendo announced all of one new game at E3 this year, in essence, giving people all of one new reason to buy the Wii U. That's not going to cut it in a competition with two new consoles.

And secondly....no, just, no. The Kinect and "Wand" as it were didn't do crap to eat at the Wii's dominance. By the point both those were released (mid 2011), the Wii essentially had no games being developed for it whatsoever (the only major titles that came out in the second half of the year for Wii were Return to Dreamland and Skyward Sword), and Nintendo had essentially abandoned it to begin working on the Wii U. By that point in time, very few people wanted a Wii because the motion control fad had died down by then, and no games were being developed for it. 

Here's a chart of video game console sales, with the only real worthwhile part being the bit at the end. As you can see, the Kinect boosted the 360s sales by...maybe 250,000 units for one month? Right after June ended, the 360 went back to its regular trend of selling slightly more than the PS3 and Wii each month. The Wii's dominance had essentially died down by the time mid 2011 rolled around, so saying that other companies motion control fads ate into it is more than a little disingenious.

I don't believe copying eats into Nintendo sales nearly as much as anyone thinks, especially considering that all copying of Nintendo stuff comes after people get the chance to use it and play with it. No one is going to be copying stuff from a trailer they release and quickly designing a game to match it to compete for sales in that market. The fear of being copied off of a trailer they would release is more than a little paranoid, and nowhere near worth giving up reasons for people to buy their console.

LMAO.

Kinect was released in the fall of 2010.  Look at your chart.  XBOX 360's sales were nearly double the previous Christmas, while Wii sales plummeted.  For the first time they were close together in totals.  Get your facts straight, eductate yourself, then come and discuss.

Kinect is widely credited with giving 360 a big foothold on the North American casual market that up until that point was dominated by Wii. Kinect was a massive success.

Derp, I looked at the Windows software development release date. My mistake.

The first part of my argument still stands, however. Keep in mind that at that point Nintendo essentially had no new major pieces of software coming out for it. SMG2 had already been released, and the only major titles left were DKCR, a couple of Kirby games, and Skyward Sword, which at that point was pretty iffy. Far less reasons existed to buy a Wii than the 360 at that point.

And certainly, in light of the correct release date, the sales helped more than I originally factored in. Perhaps an extra million-million and a half 360s were sold because of Kinect. Which means...all of very little.

Microsoft sold an extra million units in a very small contained period of time due to copying an entire portion of Nintendo's hardware. Thing is though that we're talking about software instead of hardware. Even if someone were to somehow copy a Nintendo game, and then bring it to other platforms, there's no way that that will even begin to get close to Kinect, which wasn't all that much of an advantage in the big picture to begin with.

Lastly, and perhaps the biggest point of all, is that people have had the ability to "copy" Nintendo games for generations. It hasn't made Nintendo games sell any worse. There's no reason to believe it will now.