By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

RDR2 getting DLSS
Doom Ethernal getting Ray Tracing and DLSS

Lots of other games getting Ray Tracing and DLSS and Nvidia Reflex

Not much other news.

I'd skip the 3070 Ti and get a 3080 instead. 8GB vram for $600 is way too low imo. I guess $1200 is the new MSRP for the Ti series going forward which is urghh!

I remember buying my 1080ti for around £700ish, which makes it close to a £500 uplift in price...

It's sad how fast the Ti models went out of my price range in just a few years, and even the 3080 is too expensive for me, but at the same time I do not want to downgrade myself from going for Ti to 60/70 models going forward, because I've always seen their gains as minimal at best for what I'm looking for in GPU perf gains. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I think the main problem FSR is going to have is convincing developers to use FSR instead of their own solutions. The reason why DLSS 1.0 didn't get much traction when it released was because many game engines already had their own up scaling solutions that were better than it. So while FSR will work on any GPU, that doesn't really matter because engines that have their own upscaling technologies (which most do) already work on any GPUs. The reason why DLSS is getting mass adoption right now is because DLSS 2.0 is massively better than every other upscaling solution in the market.

Remember, it's not about the performance that FSR brings because every Upscaling solution on the market will give you similar performance... It's going to be about the image quality vs current solutions. That's why DLSS 1.0 failed and if FSR can't bring better image quality than current upscaling solutions like Unreal's Temporal Super Resolution, I doubt it will gain much traction.

So we will see how it goes but so far, it's not looking good going by Anandtech's article.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:

Captain_Yuri said:

RDR2 getting DLSS
Doom Ethernal getting Ray Tracing and DLSS

Lots of other games getting Ray Tracing and DLSS and Nvidia Reflex

Not much other news.

I'd skip the 3070 Ti and get a 3080 instead. 8GB vram for $600 is way too low imo. I guess $1200 is the new MSRP for the Ti series going forward which is urghh!

I remember buying my 1080ti for around £700ish, which makes it close to a £500 uplift in price...

It's sad how fast the Ti models went out of my price range in just a few years, and even the 3080 is too expensive for me, but at the same time I do not want to downgrade myself from going for Ti to 60/70 models going forward, because I've always seen their gains as minimal at best for what I'm looking for in GPU perf gains. 

Yea pretty much. I remember with the Tis were exciting refreshes but these days, it's just to fill in the price gaps which is very lame. The only good Ti that's out there is the 3060 Ti. Curse you mining craze! These companies ain't gonna care about anything if all their GPUs sell out regardless of price and performance...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

haxxiy said:
Cyran said:

After reading this I now expect best case for FSR is going to be as good as DLSS 1.0 which was not very good.  Well hopefully that mean by FSR 2.0 they finally have a useful alterative to DLSS 2.x but look like we going to have a long wait for a competitive alternative.

I think that'll depend on how it looks in motion. There has to be a reason for AMD to be confident in their spatial scaling implementation if they already knew the kind of temporal issues Nvidia was getting with DLSS 1.0.

My thoughts exactly

I expect it to be somewhat behind how DLSS is today, but not by very much. Otherwise, they could have simply made a checkerboard solution like they did on the last gen consoles, as that worked already much better than DLSS 1.0.

I don't know if DLSS has a quality slider, can somebody inform me on that? If not, then I think AMD came with a great solution here, as you can (at least in theory) sacrifice a bit of visual quality if the framerate is still not good enough. This would then be great with low-power GPUs and specifically mobile chips, as they could then really get some playable framerates from games without looking too badly.

haxxiy said:
Cyran said:

The reason could be it is the best solution they can do at the moment without delaying it another year and they made the calculation getting something out now even if it not great is better then having nothing at all.

They could have went for checkerboard rendering and temporal upsampling if that was the case. These are already fairly comparable to DLSS 1.0 IMO.

What would be the point of bringing something like that when most games already got something like that as a option.  it would get 0 traction.  They needed something that they could at least say they got a alterative to DLSS since DLSS been getting so much praise lastly.  Also maybe FSR is a good building block to take in account motion vectors in the future which those other solutions would not of been.

All am saying is my experience is 9 out of 10 times when the initial reaction is that don't look good on paper and I hear just wait too see it in x or y condition because surly such a large company know what they doing it turn out nope it exactly what the first impression was.

I hope this is the 1 out of 10 times that I am surprise and it actually turn out it better then what it appears to be but I wont believe it till I see it.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
haxxiy said:

I think that'll depend on how it looks in motion. There has to be a reason for AMD to be confident in their spatial scaling implementation if they already knew the kind of temporal issues Nvidia was getting with DLSS 1.0.

My thoughts exactly

I expect it to be somewhat behind how DLSS is today, but not by very much. Otherwise, they could have simply made a checkerboard solution like they did on the last gen consoles, as that worked already much better than DLSS 1.0.

I don't know if DLSS has a quality slider, can somebody inform me on that? If not, then I think AMD came with a great solution here, as you can (at least in theory) sacrifice a bit of visual quality if the framerate is still not good enough. This would then be great with low-power GPUs and specifically mobile chips, as they could then really get some playable framerates from games without looking too badly.

Yea DLSS has a quality slider as well

Cyran said:
haxxiy said:

They could have went for checkerboard rendering and temporal upsampling if that was the case. These are already fairly comparable to DLSS 1.0 IMO.

What would be the point of bringing something like that when most games already got something like that as a option.  it would get 0 traction.  They needed something that they could at least say they got a alterative to DLSS since DLSS been getting so much praise lastly.  Also maybe FSR is a good building block to take in account motion vectors in the future which those other solutions would not of been.

All am saying is my experience is 9 out of 10 times when the initial reaction is that don't look good on paper and I hear just wait too see it in x or y condition because surly such a large company know what they doing it turn out nope it exactly what the first impression was.

I hope this is the 1 out of 10 times that I am surprise and it actually turn out it better then what it appears to be but I wont believe it till I see it.

The point would be capturing the marketshare and mind share since AMD did not have any comparable technologies in their products. This will be AMD's first dive into this and they have to start somewhere. I mean there is a reason why they shown the GTX 1060 in their presentation since that card is most widely used (if we go by Steam survey) by PC gamers.

The bigger the userbase the bigger the audience. FSR will be optimised for AMD hardware no doubt and with RDNA 3 incoming, its a good time roll it out. Who knows maybe big changes and improvements for upcoming cards. Not saying it will but yeah I find it quite exciting stuff. For closed based systems like consoles and laptops/portable especially.

Though yeah, it does look quite rough from the screenshot

Last edited by hinch - on 01 June 2021

The Tuesday news and, since most of them are about what was announced yesterday, and Yuri already posted most of those (thanks bud, less work for me!), they're all in one post:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

GOG has a new release and also a gift for us!:

Steam has a new daily deal and a new range of weeklong deals:

The Humble Store has several new sales:

And Fanatical's new Star Deal is Outward, 73% off during the next 2 days: https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/outward

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

-Empty-

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

-Also empty-

GAMING NEWS

Here are 21 minutes of gameplay footage from Watch Dogs: Legion of the Dead
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-are-21-minutes-of-gameplay-footage-from-watch-dogs-legion-of-the-dead/
IGN has shared a video, showcasing 21 minutes of gameplay footage from the alpha build of Watch Dogs: Legion of the Dead. Watch Dogs: Legion of the Dead is a brand-new online PvE mode currently in Alpha phase on PC.

Saints Row publisher Koch Media is holding a Summer Game Fest livestream
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/saints-row-publisher-koch-media-is-holding-a-summer-game-fest-livestream/
The month of June just got a little busier, as Koch Media has announced that it will be holding its very own "Primetime Gaming Stream" on June 11 as part of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest.
>> Given how many studios they and THQ Nordic have bought, they could have tens of games to announce.

EA is pulling the plug on old Need for Speed games today
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/ea-is-pulling-the-plug-on-old-need-for-speed-games-today/
Electronic Arts is delisting a number of older Need for Speed games, which will also have their in-game stores closed and their online services retired. EA said the decision was made because it is "shifting gears to focus on the future of Need for Speed," and there just aren't enough players to justify supporting them anymore.

Cyberpunk 2077 will 'live up to what we promised,' CD Projekt boss says
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-will-live-up-to-what-we-promised-cd-projekt-boss-says/
CD Projekt president and joint CEO Adam Kiciński repeated his recent re-commitment to Cyberpunk 2077 during the company's first quarter financial results today, saying that a significant portion of the development team continues to work on it, even as the studio itself prepares to move to a parallel development system in 2022.

'Our story is political,' Far Cry 6 narrative director says
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/our-story-is-political-far-cry-6-narrative-director-says/
Far Cry 6 borrows some obvious visual trappings from the island of Cuba, particularly the cars and architecture, but narrative director Navid Khavari said in an interview last week that the game is not meant to be "a political statement about what’s happening in Cuba specifically." It's a reasonable position to take, but it was widely interpreted to mean that Far Cry 6 wasn't political at all, a pretty wild thing to say about a game built around a revolution against the fascist dictator of a Caribbean island.
(...)
The response was strong enough to prompt Khavari to go deeper on the matter in an update posted today, in which he explicitly states that "our story is political."

Angry goats arrive in Minecraft next week
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/angry-goats-arrive-in-minecraft-next-week/
The first half of Minecraft's long-trailed Caves and Cliffs update, which developer Mojang recently split in two, will arrive on PC on June 8 in both the Bedrock and Java editions of the game. The second part of what the studio calls "the most ambitious" Minecraft expansion to date is due sometime at the end of 2021.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Anandtech does have the Raw stills provided to them by AMD. Hopefully the game we will see in June 22nd will look better than that.

(Left 1440p Native, Right FSR Qualty Mode)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16723/amd-formally-unveils-fidelityfx-super-resolution-open-source-game-upscaling

hinch said:
Cyran said:

The point would be capturing the marketshare and mind share since AMD did not have any comparable technologies in their products. This will be AMD's first dive into this and they have to start somewhere. I mean there is a reason why they shown the GTX 1060 in their presentation since that card is most widely used (if we go by Steam survey) by PC gamers.

The bigger the userbase the bigger the audience. FSR will be optimised for AMD hardware no doubt and with RDNA 3 incoming, its a good time roll it out. Who knows maybe big changes and improvements for upcoming cards. Not saying it will but yeah I find it quite exciting stuff. For closed based systems like consoles and laptops/portable especially.

Though yeah, it does look quite rough from the screenshot

We on the same page.  My what the point comment was directed at haxxiy about why AMD would not use checkerboard rendering and temporal upsampling if FSR was not any better out of the gate.  My point was FSR could be the building point in future for something as good as DLSS and it give them something they can claim as a competitor to DLSS IE get some market share as you put it even if it don't compete very well out of the gate. 

I was making the case there no point for them to release a checkerboard rendering and temporal upsampling but there FSR solution make a lot of sense even if it not very good on first release.  For the reasons you stated.