By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

So the Steam survey data for August 2017 are out, and there are a lot of big changes!

Some of them are really strange, so I wouldn't be surprised, if the data gets corrected within this month (wouldn't be the first time Valve fucked up the survey data). But if they are validated by the next surveys, we have to talk about some (good and bad) trends.

As usual take all these numbers with a big grain of salt and only read any further, if you like numbers, charts and rankings!

Let's begin with the GPU percentage changes and the GPU rankings. Many Nvidia GPUs had some huge percentage gains, surprising even some older cards. Some older AMD series also had some good percentage gains:

Where there are winners, there also have some losers to keep the total at 100%... and this month the losers seem to be the Intel APUs.

This leaves a lot of room for interpretations: Is PC gaming on desktops gaining popularity? Do more laptops get dedicated GPUs than before? Or is Valve getting better at excluding APUs from the GPU charts, if a dedicated GPU is also in the same system? Only time will tell.

The next big surprise is the huge shift to DX12 hardware: almost five percent in a mere month, while the usual growth is 0.5 to 1 percent... that can only be true, if it is connected to the excluding of DX12-incompatible Intel-APUs:

In the picture above I also tried to show the difference of the GPU percentages in the different survey charts. The 100% base of "all video cards" in the "PC video card usage" section excludes the Mac and Linux systems, the 100% base of the GPU ranking in the main section includes the Mac and Linux systems. Therefore the percentages in the GPU section is around 3 - 4% percent higher than in the main section.

To go more into detail: the "All video cards" chart in the "PC video card usage" section seems to be identical to the "DirectX 10 systems" chart in the "DX10/11/12 systems" section. 

The 100% base of both of these charts therefore includes all PC systems with DX10 hardware and software or higher (so Vista and newer with DX10, DX11 or DX12 GPUs) and excludes the Macs, Linux systems and Windows systems with DX9 or lower.

Since the charts in the "DX10/11/12 systems" section have more individual data (5 month trend + GPU models with less than 0.31% or 0.16% share don't get cut off), I'll keep using that data. My previous calculations of "Million GPU units" (GPU percentage x estimated Steam accounts) were wrong by not taking into account that 3 - 4% of these estimated Steam accounts aren't windows based... I fixed that in the new charts:

Which brings us to the next topic: the comparison of AMD and Nvidia GPUs on Steam, especially the dedicated graphic cards.

People like me who prefer a bit of competition are getting worried by the overall GPU trend on Steam:

Taking the Intel GPUs out of the picture, we are talking about 83.5% (Nvidia) vs. 16.5% (AMD/ATI), a ratio of 6:1

And that ratio gets even crazier if we only compare the dedicated gamer GPUs, so no "Geforce GT"-crap or the older mobile chips: 

Maxwell has a ratio of 11:1 compared to all R7 + R9 cards (including the Fury series), Pascal has a ratio of 10:1 compared to the RX cards.

But lets move to a less depressing topic: Steamspy's estimate about the total number of active Steam accounts. They raised the estimated from last month (242 million active Steam accounts by whooping 13 million to 255 million active Steam accounts:

I personally can't really believe that number. The last official number (125 million active Steam accounts) is from February 2015, that would mean the number of active accounts has doubled since then. The peak record from late 2014 to 2017 has increased from 9.3 million to 14.21 million concurrent users: https://www.statista.com/statistics/308330/number-stream-users/

That's an increase of only 53%, so I estimate the number of active Steam accounts more in the 200 million area instead of 255 million. But since SteamSpy collects much more data than me, I'll go with their estimates for now. 

Also the last record of January is already topped today (on a normal weekend without any Steam sale):

If the number of SteamSpy's estimate (255 million active Steam accounts) is correct, that would result in about 246 million active Windows Steam accounts (96.3% Windows share).

That would mean that around 107 million gaming PCs are "out there", which can keep up with the 8th gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One. Not too bad, since PS4 + XBO combined sales are approximately 95 million consoles:

VR-ready systems made also a huge jump from 17% to 20% of the Steam hardware base. If the number of SteamSpy's estimates of this and last month are correct, that would result in a jump of 40 to 50 million VR-ready systems. Again, not too bad compared to 64 million PSVR-ready PS4s. And I didn't even include the lowered VR specs, that should be enough in many PC VR games.

As you can see below, I also tried to estimate the number of Steam PCs, which can keep up with the Xbox One X... they should be around 16 million units (or at least 10 million, if the SteamSpy estimate is totally bogus)... not too shabby against 3 - 4 million PS4 Pros and zero Xbox One X.

Since we are already talking about PC VR... the success of the "Summer of Rift" price cut is already showing in the Steam data.

The "consumer version" of the Oculus Rift climbed from 0.14% to 0.19%, that's an increase of one third within a month. 

Including the Oculus Rift DK1 + DK2, the Rift and Vive are almost tied (47.69% vs. 52.31%). I'm curious about the development next month: is the Vive price cut to $599 / €699 will be enough to keep them in advantage or will the Rift bundle (including the Touch controllers) for $399 / €449  stay the better deal?

Around the Network

Lot's of charts this month, with big changes. We'll have to wait until the next batch to see how true they are.

Also, it looks like the Oculus Rift sale had a big impact. As you said, we'll have to see if the Vive sale will changes that.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I know I was counted in those statistics as I participated this month. So I am probably one of 5 people in the world with a Radeon RX 580 who actually uses it for gaming. Haha

255 million Steam accounts? Christ. #PCGamingIsDying.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I totally had an impact on the survey !

On my desktop : I bought a 1080Ti to replace my old 970

I bought a laptop computer with a 1060 with Win10 (directx 12 ^^ rise)

VR wise I'm interested to buy a set but I'd be more interested by the Vive and its recent pricecut, but recent news about HTC willing to get out of the market make me wait a bit more...

JEMC said:

WARNING: If you have a Ryzen CPU and a Gigabyte K5 or K7 motherboard, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION!

Latest Gigabyte X370 K7 Motherboard BIOS Broken Dynamic vCore, up to 1.7v
https://www.techpowerup.com/236659/latest-gigabyte-x370-k7-motherboard-bios-broken-dynamic-vcore-up-to-1-7v
A warning to users of Gigabyte's X370 K7 motherboard: the most recent F5 BIOS version, which was posted as a stable release on the company's BIOS support page, has been originating reports from users as having increased the dynamic voltage applied towards stratospheric values (from a "healthy CPU vCore baseline.) The problem appears to be related to the usage of Gigabyte's Dynamic vCore functionality, where users that were seeing vCore values of around 1.2v started seeing those dynamic values, as set by the motherboard, being set to a crispy 1.55v instead, at the same clocks as before the BIOS update. If you have such a motherboard, and have recently updated your BIOS to revision F5 or planned on doing so, please do yourself a favor and set vCore manually to your value of choice, compensating with LLC (Load Line Calibration) so that your CPU isn't shocked to death with additional vCore.

Update: It seems that the vCore voltage can go up to 1.7v, which has resulted in at least one claim of a fried Ryzen CPU on Gigabyte's forums. Multiple users are reporting this issue, and apparently the problem isn't limited to Gigabyte's K7 motherboard: users on the Gaming K5 motherboard are also reporting similar issues with the latest BIOS for their respective motherboard.

In summary, the latest BIOS, F5 for the K7 mobo and F7 for the K5 mobo, can change the vCore value from the nominal 1.2v up to a dangerous 1.7v, seriously damaging your CPU. Do not upgrade or, if you already did, set the vCore value to 1.2 (or the value you had before installing the new BIOS) manually.

Yeah I read that.. scary stuff. Glad I wasn't the one suffering from this with my Gaming 5.

Gigabyte have released a new bios for the K8/K5 on the 1st (revison F8), to correct the voltage issue.

Also added more compatibility for more RAM. Which.. strangley enough, allowed for a larger overclock on my RAM :)

Around the Network
hinch said:
JEMC said:

WARNING: If you have a Ryzen CPU and a Gigabyte K5 or K7 motherboard, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE LATEST VERSION!

Latest Gigabyte X370 K7 Motherboard BIOS Broken Dynamic vCore, up to 1.7v
https://www.techpowerup.com/236659/latest-gigabyte-x370-k7-motherboard-bios-broken-dynamic-vcore-up-to-1-7v
A warning to users of Gigabyte's X370 K7 motherboard: the most recent F5 BIOS version, which was posted as a stable release on the company's BIOS support page, has been originating reports from users as having increased the dynamic voltage applied towards stratospheric values (from a "healthy CPU vCore baseline.) The problem appears to be related to the usage of Gigabyte's Dynamic vCore functionality, where users that were seeing vCore values of around 1.2v started seeing those dynamic values, as set by the motherboard, being set to a crispy 1.55v instead, at the same clocks as before the BIOS update. If you have such a motherboard, and have recently updated your BIOS to revision F5 or planned on doing so, please do yourself a favor and set vCore manually to your value of choice, compensating with LLC (Load Line Calibration) so that your CPU isn't shocked to death with additional vCore.

Update: It seems that the vCore voltage can go up to 1.7v, which has resulted in at least one claim of a fried Ryzen CPU on Gigabyte's forums. Multiple users are reporting this issue, and apparently the problem isn't limited to Gigabyte's K7 motherboard: users on the Gaming K5 motherboard are also reporting similar issues with the latest BIOS for their respective motherboard.

In summary, the latest BIOS, F5 for the K7 mobo and F7 for the K5 mobo, can change the vCore value from the nominal 1.2v up to a dangerous 1.7v, seriously damaging your CPU. Do not upgrade or, if you already did, set the vCore value to 1.2 (or the value you had before installing the new BIOS) manually.

Yeah I read that.. scary Stuff. Glad I wasn't the one suffering from this with my Gaming 5.

Gigabyte have released a new bios on the 1st (revison F8) to correct the voltage issue..

Also added more compatibility for more RAM, which.. strangley enough allowed for a larger overclock on my memory :)

Thanks for pointing out that the new BIOS.

Both AMD and motherboard partners have been working with those RAM issues since launch, up to a point where picking a correct set shouldn't be a problem anymore. And if that allows you to have higher clocks on your kit, it's even better!

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

No probs.

Yeah. I'm a bit bummed that I returned my Teamgroup 16gb - 3466Mhz set as it wasn't compatible with XMP at the time. RAM prices are crazy high now and a set at that speed would probably cost around £160 plus.

Still.. pretty happy with my Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666; which I got for £50 from Amazon. Overclocked to 2993Mhz on F5 bios, and now 3066 on F8.

Another Monday.... full of news:

SALES & "SALES"/DEALS

Steam's top 10

1. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  2. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  4. Absolver
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. The Escapists 2
  8. XCOM 2
  9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  10. Divinity: Original Sin 2

Save 70 percent on Total War: Warhammer and DLC this week
http://www.pcgamer.com/save-70-percent-on-total-war-warhammer-and-dlc-this-week/
Total War: Warhammer II is coming out at the end of the month, and in preparation, Bundle Stars is offering money off the pre-order, and you can also get the first Total War: Warhammer for 70 percent off.

>>Here are the deals: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collections/total-war-warhammer

Talking about stores and deals, with September has come a new Humble Monthly offer, and this time they're using Rise of the Tomb Raider to make you fall for it.

Last but not least, there's GOG with a new weekly sale with games from XSEED, Anuman or GSC up to 90% off. Games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cossacks, Moto Racer, Syberia, Trails in the Sky or Little King's Story can be yours: https://www.gog.com/promo/20170904_weekly_sale_xseed_gsc_anuman

SOFTWARE

Windows 10 – Fall Creators Update will improve Game Mode, goes live on October 17th
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/windows-10-fall-creators-update-will-improve-game-mode-goes-live-on-october-17th/
Microsoft has announced that the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 will go live on October 17th. This brand new update for Windows 10 will improve Game Mode; a functionality that promises to allow players’ games to use the full processing power of their device as if it was an Xbox game console.

MODS/EMULATORS

Here is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild running in native 4K with 60fps
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-is-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-running-in-native-4k-with-60fps/
YouTube’s member ‘Bradley’ has shared a video showing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild running in 4K with 60fps in CEMU. In order to achieve something like that, Bradley used an unreleased beta version of Xalphenos’s 60fps patch.

Fallout: New Vegas mod Project Brazil renamed to New California, out this year
http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-new-vegas-mod-project-brazil-renamed-to-new-california-out-this-year/
It was early 2013 when we first heard about Project Brazil, a tremendously ambitious mod that promised an entirely standalone prequel campaign for Fallout: New Vegas. Set in the year 2260, long before the events of New Vegas, the aim was for a Fallout 3-sized map with a new Vault, an original cast, and "5000 lines of professional-quality dialog" delivered by more than 20 different voice actors. Fast-forward four years and some, and it's still not out, but it's getting closer—and it's got a brand-new name, too.

>>Here's the Nexus Mods page of the mod.

GAMING NEWS

Despite Square Enix’s promises and after almost six months, NieR: Automata has not received any patch on the PC
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/despite-square-enixs-promises-and-after-almost-six-months-nier-automata-has-not-received-any-patch-on-the-pc/
Back in June, we informed you about the lack of any patch/update for the PC version of NieR: Automata. Normally we wouldn’t be posting another story about it, however Square Enix attempted a damage control in June, claiming that it’s been working with both NVIDIA and AMD in order to release a patch for NieR: Automata. Well, it’s been almost two months since that statement so what’s the status of NieR: Automata PC?

Here is 25 minutes of gameplay footage from THQ Nordic’s upcoming open-world RPG, BioMutant
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-is-25-minutes-of-gameplay-footage-from-thq-nordics-upcoming-open-world-rpg-biomutant/
IGN has shared a video, showing 25 minutes of gameplay footage from THQ Nordic’s open world action RPG, BioMutant. BioMutant is a kung fu fable filled with fantastic creatures to discover, dangerous factions to navigate, and colorful worlds to explore with mechs, paragliders, balloons, mounts, jet skis and more.

No Man’s Sky – Latest update introduces ship handling variances
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/no-mans-sky-latest-update-introduces-ship-handling-variances/
Hello Games has released another big update for No Man’s Sky. According to the release notes, this patch introduces ship handling variances between types/classes, adds the ability to craft more of the same product on top of an existing stack, adds the ability for player to enable torch while in caves and adds an option in the galactic map to toggle user waypoints.

Hajime Tabata warns that nude mods may affect the moddability of future Final Fantasy games
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/hajime-tabata-warns-that-nude-mods-may-affect-the-moddability-of-future-final-fantasy-games/
Square Enix appears to be ready to support modders in the PC version of Final Fantasy XV. And while back in August Hajime Tabata claimed that nude mods are left up to the moral sense of all the players, he went ahead and re-stated – during this year’s PAX West event – that such mods will most likely have a negative affect on the moddability of future Final Fantasy games.

>>I guess that means that the next FF games on PC won't have mod support...

Albino Moose Games is working on a new Nightmare Creatures game
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/albino-moose-games-is-working-on-a-new-nightmare-creatures-game/
Nightmare Creatures is a survival horror third-person game that was released back in 1997. And surprisingly enough, Albino Moose Games revealed that it is currently working on a brand new game in this long forgotten series.

Duck Season VR Will Arrive On Steam September 14th
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/duck-season-vr-will-arrive-on-steam-september-14th/
Duck Season a VR remake of the NES Duck Hunt, has come to VR showing off ’80s culture with multiple ending horror twists.
Stress Level Zero has created a VR game which starts you off on a summers day in 1988 blasting ducks on a rented copy of Duck Season. In the game you learn that the dog that you are accompanied by is collecting your kills but also not what he seems to be. The game features seven different endings,multiple subplots and short videos to find.

Dino Dini’s Kick Off Revival is coming to the PC on September 12th
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dino-dinis-kick-off-revival-is-coming-to-the-pc-on-september-12th/
Dino Dini and The Digital Lounge have announced that Dino Dini’s Kick Off Revival will be released on Steam for PC September 12th. According to the press release, the Steam version will benefit from all the improvements made to the game on the PS4 and Vita versions since its release on PS4TM in June 2016.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 – PC demo is coming on mid-September
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/pro-evolution-soccer-2018-pc-demo-mid-september/
Konami has confirmed that a PC demo for Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 will be released on mid-September. This demo will be identical to the one released for consoles on August 30th, and will most probably hit Steam right after the game’s launch on September 12th.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Captain Mode – Khuzait vs Empire
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/mount-blade-ii-bannerlord-captain-mode-khuzait-vs-empire/
TaleWorlds Entertainment has released a new gameplay video for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord’s Captain mode. Captain Mode puts players in command of their own detachment of troops in multiplayer battles of up to 5 vs 5, and in this video we see the Khuzait against the Empire.

Here is your first look at the 3D remake of Secret of Mana
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-is-your-first-look-at-the-3d-remake-of-secret-of-mana/
At this year’s PAX West event, Square Enix showcased the 3D remake of Secret of Mana. Thankfully, TwitchTV’s ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ has shared a video, giving us our first look at this upcoming remake that will be released next year.

2018 Will Feature New Square Enix Project
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/2018-will-feature-new-square-enix-project/
Final Fantasy XV development team Square Enix has been doing relentless work on the highly successful Final Fantasy XV even with it’s debut to PC Hajime Tabata confirms the team will be starting a new project in 2018.

>>Hopefully, it will also come to PC, when it launches in... 2020?

Assassin’s Creed Origins Features “Thousands” of Living AI NPC’s
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/assassins-creed-origins-features-thousands-of-living-ai-npcs/
In the latest addition to the gaming magazine ‘Play’ Ubisoft has discussed the new AI framework that will be featuring in their upcoming new title, confirming that there will be “thousands” of people living within the world.

CD Projekt Red Thanks Players of The Witcher Series With 10 Year Anniversary Video
http://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/cd-projekt-red-thanks-players-of-the-witcher-series-with-10-year-anniversary-video/
CD Projekt Red have released a video on their ‘The Witcher’ YouTube channel thanking players of the Witcher series for all of their hard work throughout the games keeping Geralt and has friends alive all these years.

The rest of the news:

Ark's next expansion will contain underground biomes and chest-bursting critters
http://www.pcgamer.com/arks-next-expansion-will-contain-underground-biomes-and-chest-bursting-critters/
Ark: Survival Evolved, in addition to launching from Early Access this week, announced a $45 season pass, which includes the Scorched Earth DLC as well as two unannounced expansions. We've now learned a bit about one of those expansions, called Aberration, which is set to arrive in October of this year.

High Hell is a game about kicking in doors and burning down drug labs
http://www.pcgamer.com/high-hell-is-a-game-about-kicking-in-doors-and-burning-down-drug-labs/
High Hell is a game about making entrances—the kind of entrances that begin with a large boot applied forcefully to a fragile door, followed shortly thereafter by gunfire, flying bodies, and burning drug labs. Developed by Terri Vellmann, the creator of the strange yet oddly compelling FPS Heavy Bullets, and Adam "Doseone" Drucker, whose music and audio work has previously appeared in Enter the Gungeon, Gang Beasts, and Nuclear Throne, it looks a bit like a first-person Hotline Miami, and it's set to come out later this year.

Shadow of War DLC character will raise funds for family of producer who died of cancer
http://www.pcgamer.com/shadow-of-war-dlc-character-will-raise-funds-for-family-of-producer-who-died-of-cancer/
Forthog Orcslayer is not a character that fans of Tolkien's Middle-earth lore are likely to be familiar with. That's because he's actually a new addition to the universe, created by Monolith for the upcoming Middle-earth: Shadow of War to pay tribute to executive producer Mike Forgey, who died of cancer in 2016.

>>Nice gesture for their part.

Stardew Valley publisher teases its 'magic school' RPG with a new image
http://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-publisher-teases-its-magic-school-rpg-with-a-new-image/
Chucklefish, the developer behind Starbound and publisher of Stardew Valley, is taking some inspiration from the latter for one of its next games. Aside from the Advance Wars-inspired game it's working on, the publisher-studio told us in January that it's creating "an RPG/Sim set in a magic school, something like Stardew Valley meets Harry Potter."

Cultist Simulator, from the co-creator of Sunless Sea, is now on Kickstarter
http://www.pcgamer.com/cultist-simulator-from-the-co-creator-of-sunless-sea-is-now-on-kickstarter/
As promised, the Kickstarter for Cultist Simulator, the new game from Fallen London and Sunless Sea co-creator Alexis Kennedy, got underway today. And oh, look at that, it's already funded.

A surprise update restores Star Wars: Empire at War's multiplayer
http://www.pcgamer.com/a-surprise-update-restores-star-wars-empire-at-wars-multiplayer/
Petroglyph and Disney released an update that re-enables multiplayer support through Steam, in both the core game and the Forces of Corruption expansion. The patch also adds mod support via Steamworks and fixes a number of graphical and stability issues, "so you won’t get interrupted by errors and glitches as you fight for control of the galaxy."

Action RPG Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr blasts into early access
http://www.pcgamer.com/action-rpg-warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-blasts-into-early-access/
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr is an open-world, isometric action-RPG with more star forts, mutants and daemons than you can shake a Staff of Light at. It's just entered Early Access and developer Neocore Games says it's around 60-70% complete: the story campaign won't be added until launch but you can get to grips with two Inquisitor classes in PvE missions and one PvP mode.

Enforce child labour and feed citizens sawdust in grim Frostpunk trailer
http://www.pcgamer.com/enforce-child-labour-and-feed-citizens-sawdust-in-grim-frostpunk-trailer/
Frostpunk is a city builder, but as its first gameplay trailer shows it's more about making tough moral decisions than planning a pretty road network. When a child is injured at work, do you outlaw child labour or give them some kind words and send them back to the factory? When your citizens are starving, do you bulk up their meals with sawdust and risk them falling ill or let them go hungry?

PUBG producer: AFK farming is something 'we will definitely be addressing'
http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-producer-afk-farming-is-something-we-will-definitely-be-addressing/
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds has sprouted an idler problem—that is, players who join matches but don't actually play, letting their characters die while they accrue in-game currency just by being there. This allows the idlers to buy items to sell on the marketplace without putting in the hours of actual playtime everyone else does, and hampers the experience of genuine players.

Swery's new mystery game The Good Life is looking for $1.5 million in crowdfunding
http://www.pcgamer.com/swerys-the-good-life-is-looking-for-15-million-on-fig/
Deadly Premonition and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die creator Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro announced his newest game, The Good Life, in August, describing it as a "mystery RPG" set in a small town in England where everyone turns into cats at night. The debut trailer, released a week later, didn't do a whole lot to clarify that undeniably bizarre setup, but it did have clips of cats, and that makes it a net positive as far as I'm concerned.
Today Swery and his team at White Owls took the next step by launching a crowdfunding campaign on Fig. The studio is seeking a whopping $1.5 million "to achieve Swery-level greatness," and backers can opt for conventional reward tiers or actual investments in the project.

Rising Storm 2 ANZAC Update will add new guns, new maps, and a new chopper
http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-storm-2-anzac-update-will-add-new-guns-new-maps-and-a-new-chopper/
The next big Rising Storm 2: Vietnam update was announced at Tripwire's PAX West panel today, and we have exclusive screenshots and a video for you. The working title is 'ANZAC Update,' and it's a big one.

Act 1 of Homestuck adventure game Hiveswap coming out this month
http://www.pcgamer.com/act-1-of-homestuck-adventure-game-hiveswap-coming-out-this-month/
It's been a long road to release for Hiveswap, the point-and-click adventure set in the universe of webcomic Homestuck. It received nearly $2.5m of backing on Kickstarter back in 2012 before multiple planned release dates—first in 2015, then this January—came and went. Well now it's finally upon us, with the first episode coming September 14.

Rainbow Six Siege to overhaul casual matchmaking and add Theme Park map to ranked play
http://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-siege-overhauls-casual-matchmaking-and-adds-theme-park-map-to-ranked-play/
Ubisoft has overhauled Rainbow Six Siege's Casual matchmaking system ahead of the game's new season. For the last four months the game grouped players for Casual games based on their Ranked matchmaking rating (MMR) but Season 3 will introduce a separate MMR for Casual play. Ubisoft says it will provide "better quality matchmaking".

Blizzard will reveal a nerf to Hearthstone's Druid class this week
http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-will-reveal-a-nerf-to-hearthstones-druid-class-this-week/
If you've been watching Hearthstone's HCT Europe Summer Playoffs this weekend, you'll have noticed a distinct lack of Druid. Not because the class isn't popular—quite the opposite, everyone of the 77 players participating brought a Druid deck—but because it's so good they've all been banning it. We wrote about the Druid problem earlier this week, predicting that multiple nerfs were on the way. And it sounds like that's about to happen, judging by this tweet today from game director Ben Brode.

American McGee is working on an Alice 3 proposal
http://www.pcgamer.com/american-mcgee-is-working-on-an-alice-3-proposal/
Just over a month ago, American McGee asked fans to stop pestering him about his surreal platformer, Alice. He has no control over the series, so go bug EA, was the gist. Now he’d like them to bug EA even more because he’s working on an Alice 3 proposal.

Developers share their hidden mechanics on Twitter
http://www.pcgamer.com/developers-share-their-hidden-mechanics-on-twitter/
I spent most of last weekend holed up in my bedroom, wondering if I had the flu or if my years of good living had finally caught with me, which also meant I had a lot of free time to aimlessly browse Twitter. Thankfully, this was also the weekend where developers started tweeting about hidden game mechanics, and it was fascinating.
Earthlight game design lead Jennifer Scheurle got the ball rolling on Friday, and was soon inundated with examples of the sneaky and sometimes brilliant tricks developers use.

Cliff Bleszinski teases a LawBreakers roadmap
http://www.pcgamer.com/cliff-bleszinski-teases-a-lawbreaker-roadmap/
Despite positive reviews, LawBreakers has been struggling to find an audience. Evan had plenty of nice things to say about it, but it’s not been enough to seduce people away from their go-to multiplayer mainstays. In the last 24-hours, according to Steam Charts, its concurrent players have amounted to a measly 362.
Cliff Bleszinski and Boss Key Productions are looking forwards, however, and have outlined the future of the multiplayer shooter in a roadmap that covers the rest of 2017.

90% of Gearbox are busy on what is almost certainly Borderlands 3
http://www.pcgamer.com/90-of-gearbox-are-busy-on-what-is-almost-certainly-borderlands-3/
Most of Gearbox, around 90%, are working on a new title, Randy Pitchford told the audience at a PAX panel on the weekend. According to the bossman, it’s the thing “most of you guys want us to be working on”. Borderlands 3, then.

The Tuesday news:

SALES & "SALES"/DEALS

Skullgirls hits one million sales on Steam
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/skullgirls-hits-one-million-sales-on-steam/
Lab Zero Games’ Mike Zaimont? revealed that Skullgirls has hit its one million sales goal on Steam. Skullgirls was released on the PC in 2013 and it took Lab Zero Games four years to hit this goal.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has sold more than 10 million copies
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-has-sold-more-than-10-million-copies/
Bluehole announced today that as of September 1st, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) – the first standalone Battle Royale video game – has sold over 10 million units since its Steam Early Access launch on March 23rd. PUBG also set a new mark for peak concurrent users (e.g. CCU) with over 970,000, highlighted by the strong reception at the PUBG Invitational at gamescom 2017.

>>People have gone nuts for this game!

After the sales, let's check the deals that Steam has for us and... it doesn't tells us much. There's no banner with XXX deals as usual (maybe we'll have a surprise later this week?), so I'll refer to the ones shown:

SOFTWARE

Sonic Mania’s Denuvo has been cracked in just eight days since launch
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sonic-mania-has-been-cracked-in-just-eight-days-since-launch/
And we all saw that coming. When SEGA announced that Sonic Mania would be using the Denuvo anti-tamper tech, a lot of PC gamers got frustrated, especially since this was not indicated on the game’s Steam store page prior to its release. And while SEGA has not removed this anti-tamper tech from its title, pirates have managed to crack the game.

Steam's rules about adult content continue to baffle
http://www.pcgamer.com/steams-rules-about-adult-content-continue-to-baffle/
Valve opened the floodgates to any old rubbish appearing on Steam a long time ago, but the store still occasionally acts like a draconian gatekeeper—specifically when it comes to adult content. Steam’s had a turbulent relationship with pornographic games, and currently doesn’t permit graphic nudity or games that could be considered pornographic onto the store. The problem is that it’s a bit inconsistent.

MODS/EMULATORS

-empty-

GAMING NEWS

Reaching For Petals Officially Released On Steam
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/reaching-for-petals-officially-released-on-steam/
Last week Blue Entropy Studios released a new trailer for their upcoming Unreal Engine 4-powered adventure Reaching For Petals, now the game has been officially released to the Steam market.

Dauntless Closed Beta Test Now Available
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dauntless-closed-beta-test-now-available/
Danutless, the Monster Hunter inspired action-RPG has just given the public access to their live closed beta test with a purchase of one of their exclusive Founders Pack.

Rainbow Six Siege Operation Orchid goes live tomorrow, will add a new map & three operators
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rainbow-six-siege-operation-orchid-goes-live-tomorrow-will-add-a-new-map-three-operators/
Ubisoft announced today that Operation Blood Orchid, the Year 2 Season 3 add-on content for Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, will launch September 5th. This add-on content will introduce a Theme Park map that will be available at no additional cost for all players. Starting September 5th, season pass holders will be able to access three new operators and their signature weapons skins. All other players will be able to unlock the new content starting September 12th using Renown or R6 Credits.

Piranha Bytes’ ELEX won’t have any DLCs because they “stink”
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/piranha-bytes-elex-wont-have-any-dlcs-because-they-stink/
In an interview with Gamestar, Björn Pankratz, project director at Piranha Bytes, claimed that ELEX will not have any stinking DLCs. According to Pankratz, this whole post-launch DLC trend does not fit in with Piranha Bytes, which is why it decided to not invest on such a thing.

>>And I agree, for the most part.

Unreal Engine 4-powered first-person horror adventure game, Scorn, gets new gameplay trailer
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/unreal-engine-4-powered-first-person-horror-adventure-game-scorn-gets-new-gameplay-trailer/
Ebb Software has released a brand new trailer for its upcoming first-person horror adventure game, Scorn, showing almost 8 minutes of gameplay footage. Scorn is powered by Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 and is set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry.