By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Captain_Yuri said:

PCI-E 4.0? Isn't AMD just officially supporting 3.0 with Zen and thats coming out near 2017? When will AMD cpus/motherboards get 4.0 I wonder? :T

JEMC said:

That's what happens when you don't launch a new chipset in years. AMD's 990FX only supports 2.0.

That said, newer AMD APUs do support PCIe 3.0.

Pemalite said:

GPU compute should see significant gains.

Also AMD's Crossfire should love it, they don't do things over a bridge anymore, it's all done via PCI-E.

PCI-E 4.0, USB Type C, hopefully Sata 4 soon, DDR4, m.2... Slowly getting tempted to upgrade. Just need decently priced CPU's.

Luckily, unless AMD plans on ZEN be exclusively making APUs based on it or exclusively relying on 3rd parties for chipsets from now on, ZEN CPUs will require AMD to finally make new chipsets, and it will be a sensible choice to support other new technologies too in them, not just DDR4.

If I'm not mistaken, AMD will unify its motherboards, with the upcoming AM4 platform, and the first chips that will use that new platform are the Bristol Ridge APUs that will launch soon.

What I don't know is if AMD will still rely on a Northbridge to provide the PCIe lanes or if they'll go like Intel and put that into the CPU.

There was a blurry (of course) pic of the AM4 motherboard AMD used to demonstrate the new chips at Computex, and it doesn't seem to have a Northbridge chip.

http://wccftech.com/amd-am4-motherboard-bristol-ridge-apu-spotted/

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Luckily, unless AMD plans on ZEN be exclusively making APUs based on it or exclusively relying on 3rd parties for chipsets from now on, ZEN CPUs will require AMD to finally make new chipsets, and it will be a sensible choice to support other new technologies too in them, not just DDR4.

If I'm not mistaken, AMD will unify its motherboards, with the upcoming AM4 platform, and the first chips that will use that new platform are the Bristol Ridge APUs that will launch soon.

What I don't know is if AMD will still rely on a Northbridge to provide the PCIe lanes or if they'll go like Intel and put that into the CPU.

There was a blurry (of course) pic of the AM4 motherboard AMD used to demonstrate the new chips at Computex, and it doesn't seem to have a Northbridge chip.

Having already the northbridge included in APUs it would perfectly make sense, with unified mobos, a northbridge on board would be redundant when using APUs, and it also offers the possibility to get an updated northbridge when upgrading the CPU, and for a modest increase in CPU cost it probably generates bigger savings on mobos.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Pemalite said:

GPU compute should see significant gains.

Also AMD's Crossfire should love it, they don't do things over a bridge anymore, it's all done via PCI-E.

PCI-E 4.0, USB Type C, hopefully Sata 4 soon, DDR4, m.2... Slowly getting tempted to upgrade. Just need decently priced CPU's.

Yeah their chipset stagnation was pretty terrible.  The 990FX is (I think) essentially just a rebadged 700 series chipset... AMD relied on 3rd party chips for things like USB 3.0 and PCI-E 3.0 and Sata 3.1.

With that said, Socket AM3+/AM3 was neglected whilst they pushed APU's.

JEMC said:

AMD integrated the full North Bridge a long time ago on it's APU's, Intel did the same around the same time with Sandy Bridge.
On the full desktop side though, AMD started migrating parts of the North Bridge starting with the Athlon 64.

I think with Zens release though, AMD could take two apparoaches... Integrate the North Bridge fully onto the CPU die or Combine what's "left over" with the South Bridge. (Which will likely have some elements migrated over to the CPU also.)
There are advantages to either approach.

You are also correct. AMD will use one socket to rule them all.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm puzzled about the Zen and the supposed 40% increase in IPC, which sounds so damn little for five years of CPU development.

How do popular Intel CPUs in the last few years like Core i7-2600, i7-3770, i7-4790 and i7-6700 compare to each other in gaming performance?

Slimebeast said:
I'm puzzled about the Zen and the supposed 40% increase in IPC, which sounds so damn little for five years of CPU development.

How do popular Intel CPUs in the last few years like Core i7-2600, i7-3770, i7-4790 and i7-6700 compare to each other in gaming performance?

A 6700k is less than 20% faster than a 2600k in games. That is with a 10% higher clock.

However that does not make the Zen improvement impressive as they basically started from the very bottom already.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
JEMC said:

Let's go with the news:

HERE IS 9 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE FROM PIRANHA BYTES’ ELEX

http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-is-9-minutes-of-gameplay-footage-from-piranha-bytes-elex/

Piranha Bytes showcased its new open-world action RPG title, ELEX, at this year’s Gamescom and YouTube’s ‘World of Piranha Bytes’ has captured 9 minutes of gameplay footage from it. ELEX is set against the backdrop of a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that promises to immerse players in a vast, seamless game world full of interesting characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and of course, some thrilling action. The game is planned for a Q1 2017 release.

See, that's how you do news, what that so hard?

Gotta love TB's trademark stiff animations and low poly models. They say it's pre-alpha but I doubt a lot is going to change from the current state. The only thing that needs to change is the regenerating health.

The animations won't change because those are the standard Piranha' ones. I don't think i saw much better from them before.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Slimebeast said:

CPU performance in games really depends on the king of game you're playing, and if they are more CPU or GPU intensive.

For example, and I'll use TechSpot as they benchmark games with different CPUs too, Star Wars: Battlefront, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division, DOOM or even The Witcher 3 aren't very CPU intensive games, so there's little difference between an i5-2500K and a i7-6700K.

Other games, like Project Cars and FallOut 4, do show improvements with more powerful CPUs, and then there are games like Overwatch that show big improvements the faster your CPU is (but given that all the AMD FX chips and even Intel's i3 achieve 60fps, does it really matter?).

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Teeqoz said:

Oooh, also guys, I had the chance to try out an HTC Vive for like 45 minutes just recently. I know it's not the new thing anymore since it has released, but ask questions if there's anything you want to know about what I thought.

Which games did you play? Were it roomscale games or some games in sitting position? How did you like them? Feld some dizziness, vertigo or something else which made you uncomfortable?

How comfortable was the headset? Did the cables were in the way (if it were roomscale games)?

Were you happy with the resolution / pixel density?

I'm collecting some first-hand experiences in this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=219648&page=1#

I have no idea how this would look, but they've done it:

Mozilla Publishes WebVR 1.0 to Nightly Releases

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Mozilla-Publishes-WebVR-10-Nightly-Releases

Earlier this month, the W3C published an Editor's Draft for WebVR 1.0. The specification has not yet been ratified, but the proposal is backed by engineers from Mozilla and Google. It enables the use of VR headsets in the web browser, including all the security required, such as isolating input to a single tab (in case you need to input a password while the HMD is on your face).

Firefox Nightly, as of August 16th, now supports the draft 1.0 specification.

The browser currently supports Oculus CV1 and DK2 on Windows. It does not work with DK1, although Oculus provided backers of that KickStarter with a CV1 anyway, and it does not (yet) support the HTC Vive. It also only deals with the headset itself, not any motion controllers.

Surfing the web with a VR headset. I guess it has its advantages if you're watching videos or pictures, but I can't see the point for forums like ours.

JEMC said:

Surfing the web with a VR headset. I guess it has its advantages if you're watching videos or pictures, but I can't see the point for forums like ours.

It will make a lot more sense with the future generations of VR when they finally include eye tracking. Not only will that make navigation in menus and browsers great but the next step would be virtual keyboards you can use with your eyes.

The coming years and gens of VR are gonna be exciting. Not sure if we will see eye tracking in the next gen or even gen 3. but Gen 4 could be something great with Gen 5 perfecting it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.