By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Can't wait for Zen gaming benches and price. Hopefully it can help to push the price of CPUs a bit down

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Can't wait for Zen gaming benches and price. Hopefully it can help to push the price of CPUs a bit down

Do they really need to go down though? I doubt they have even changed that much in the last 5 years. That's while becoming even stronger and providing even better internal graphics. How often do you change a CPU that the price becomes relevant?

GPUs need to be upgraded much more often and their prices have exploded in comparison.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Anyone seen this? Amd zen vs intel 6900k

https://youtu.be/Hr-5NM6cO8g

Now it is from an amd press conf but holy shitz if it performs like that when it launches with a cheap price tag. They are both running at the same clock speeds too @_@

I would love it to be true, for the sake of having healthy competition, but I'll wait until reviews before getting hyped for it.

Still, there are two things worth mentioning:

1-It's good that AMD has matched Intel's ipc (more than good, it's a miracle), but Intel's i7-6900K runs at 3.2/4.0 GHz, so it will still be faster.

2-The i7-6900K is rated at 140W. The 8-core/16-thread Zen CPU is rated at 95W.

Exactly.
AMD Hyped the crap out of the original Phenom... It fell short.
Then Phenom 2 which is what the Phenom should have been, but also fell short.
And then wen't nuts with hyping Bulldozer which was the largest dissapointment in the CPU world since the Pentium 4. :P

vivster said:
Teeqoz said:

Do they really need to go down though? I doubt they have even changed that much in the last 5 years. That's while becoming even stronger and providing even better internal graphics. How often do you change a CPU that the price becomes relevant?

GPUs need to be upgraded much more often and their prices have exploded in comparison.

CPU prices have actually been increasing, not decreasing or stagnating.

My 3930K for instance I paid something like $450~ AUD almost half a decade ago.. And it's able to give the 6800K a good run for it's money which is priced at $650.
But my chips true successor is the 6850K which is $900.

Ignoring the fact my 3930K can overclock higher than all of them (5ghz) and thus out-perform them all anyway, hence why I haven't upgraded.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Solid-Stark said:

Crossing my fingers for the 490. I can go as high as $350 but would rather stick to $300. I don't PC game a lot, it would be mainly for Dark Souls games and maybe a couple others. But i'd be content with 2560x1440 resolution as the widescreen is mainly for work.

At this point i'm strongly leaning for Intel. I'm positive I wont have regrets. But I really like AMD

Don't go AMD for the CPU right now. They are terrible value for money.
They are hot and have terrible performance.

The Radeon 480 8Gb is actually a fairly decent card for 1440P, sure you won't get 60fps in every game, but at an average of 40fps across most titles, it's pretty respectible and it does switch into another gear entirely once you flick the Direct X 12 switch.

I would personally want more, but if you are on a budget, it's worth considering.

True. I will wait to see what the 490 brings to the table.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

JEMC said:

2-Gaming News

DENUVO HAS BEEN DEFEATED, FIRST WORKING CRACK FOR DOOM IS NOW AVAILABLE

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/denuvo-has-been-defeated-first-doom-crack-is-now-available/

Well, this was bound to happen. DOOM was released almost 2.5 months ago, and it has finally been cracked. DOOM was protected by Denuvo, and it appears that crackers were finally able to bypass/crack this anti-tamper tech.

*seconds*

DENUVO FIXES BYPASS EXPLOIT, PIRATED GAMES CAN NO LONGER BE ACTIVATED

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/denuvo-fixes-bypass-exploit-pirated-games-can-no-longer-be-activated/

Two days ago, we informed you about a bypass “crack” for id Software’s DOOM. This bypass, created by Voksi, used the game’s demo in order to trick Steam into thinking that PC gamers were playing the demo itself instead of an illegal/pirated version of the game.

Denuvo, however, has just blocked the activation method that Voksi used in all of his “cracks”.

>>So... what did you felt during the brief moments that passed between learning that Denuvo was hacked to reading that nothing has actually changed? Did a small smile (even if you weren't going to use that hack) or did you get disappointed?

Disappointed. I was so upset during those few seconds (and the thought that the superb Doom of all games would become available for all the thiefs).

I am so happy about the Denuvo protection and that it still works.

Fuck all DRM-haters.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

2-Gaming News

DENUVO HAS BEEN DEFEATED, FIRST WORKING CRACK FOR DOOM IS NOW AVAILABLE

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/denuvo-has-been-defeated-first-doom-crack-is-now-available/

Well, this was bound to happen. DOOM was released almost 2.5 months ago, and it has finally been cracked. DOOM was protected by Denuvo, and it appears that crackers were finally able to bypass/crack this anti-tamper tech.

*seconds*

DENUVO FIXES BYPASS EXPLOIT, PIRATED GAMES CAN NO LONGER BE ACTIVATED

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/denuvo-fixes-bypass-exploit-pirated-games-can-no-longer-be-activated/

Two days ago, we informed you about a bypass “crack” for id Software’s DOOM. This bypass, created by Voksi, used the game’s demo in order to trick Steam into thinking that PC gamers were playing the demo itself instead of an illegal/pirated version of the game.

Denuvo, however, has just blocked the activation method that Voksi used in all of his “cracks”.

>>So... what did you felt during the brief moments that passed between learning that Denuvo was hacked to reading that nothing has actually changed? Did a small smile (even if you weren't going to use that hack) or did you get disappointed?

Disappointed. I was so upset during those few seconds (and the thought that the superb Doom of all games would become available for all the thiefs).

Fuck all DRM-haters.

You should read the news I posted one or two days later...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Slimebeast said:

Fuck all DRM-haters.

No. It can't be true.

I have to brace myself for more crappy online and Free to play titles.

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

No. It can't be true.

I have to brace myself for more crappy online and Free to play titles.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

Are you going to upgrade the ole' Radeon 5850 at all? That came out in late 2009.  :P
Vega might be worthy of the jump. ;)

I'm trying to upgrade from my trusty 5850, but with what's on the market is right now (and because of some unexpected expenses, like a big dentist bill) I may hold a bit longer.

Honestly, I'm disappointed with AMD because, despite what they may say, they have undelivered. Yes, yes, I know that they have only launched the x80 and lower parts, but they should at least be able to beat the 390/390X cards. What's the point of lanching a new product if offers nothing new? They should have made the full Polaris 10 a 40CU chip. At least it's cheap... when there's stock.

And I'm angry with Nvidia, because they have delivered, performance wise, but they have gone totally nuts with their prices. The 1070 for $449 (because good luck finding one for $379), that translates to 500 € is a f*cking joke, and the price of the 1080 is even worse. At least the 1060 is ok, with some models retailing for the same as the 480.

So right now I'm between getting a 480 and feel like I'm getting less performance than I should, get a 1060 and feel stupid for having to get that card despite my budget being bigger than that or simply wait until whatever comes next.

I'm still deciding.

It must be tiring to read all the reactions to your Radeon 5850, but I really would like to ask, that a PC gamer so interested in hardware such as yourself is still playing with ancient technology, does it have to do with you living in Spain rather than say Germany?

I myself upgraded from a Radeon 4850 to a R9 290 in 2014 but that was because I couldn't be bothered with all the hazzles of PC gaming for a while (it's much better than it was back in 2008 and the 4850 days but there's still enough issues that it's pissing me off more and more, especially with old games or if you play with mods).

Btw, I haven't seen you game much on Steam lately.

Slimebeast said:
JEMC said:

I'm trying to upgrade from my trusty 5850, but with what's on the market is right now (and because of some unexpected expenses, like a big dentist bill) I may hold a bit longer.

Honestly, I'm disappointed with AMD because, despite what they may say, they have undelivered. Yes, yes, I know that they have only launched the x80 and lower parts, but they should at least be able to beat the 390/390X cards. What's the point of lanching a new product if offers nothing new? They should have made the full Polaris 10 a 40CU chip. At least it's cheap... when there's stock.

And I'm angry with Nvidia, because they have delivered, performance wise, but they have gone totally nuts with their prices. The 1070 for $449 (because good luck finding one for $379), that translates to 500 € is a f*cking joke, and the price of the 1080 is even worse. At least the 1060 is ok, with some models retailing for the same as the 480.

So right now I'm between getting a 480 and feel like I'm getting less performance than I should, get a 1060 and feel stupid for having to get that card despite my budget being bigger than that or simply wait until whatever comes next.

I'm still deciding.

It must be tiring to read all the reactions to your Radeon 5850, but I really would like to ask, that a PC gamer so interested in hardware such as yourself is still playing with ancient technology, does it have to do with you living in Spain rather than say Germany?

I myself upgraded from a Radeon 4850 to a R9 290 in 2014 but that was because I couldn't be bothered with all the hazzles of PC gaming for a while (it's much better than it was back in 2008 and the 4850 days but there's still enough issues that it's pissing me off more and more, especially with old games or if you play with mods).

Btw, I haven't seen you game much on Steam lately.

Oh, it's not tiring at all, and some of them are funny XD.

The reasons why I'm still using that card are several:

1-First of all, I'm catalan. Do you know what some (mostly from the UK) say about the Scotish being cheap, miserly, miser or stingy? Well, the same applies to Catalans in Spain. Even more, I'm from a catalan region that even the other catalans say that are cheap. So imagine how cheap I am!

2-I didn't start looking for a new GPU until three or four years ago. My 5850 runs most if not all PS360 ports at mid-high or high settings on my 1080p monitor, so I didn't felt the need to get something better until the PS4/X1 rumors gained traction, at which point I felt the necessity of getting a card capable of running ports from those machines.

3-I prefer having a quiet PC, and with that in mind is how I bought my parts, like a quiet PC case like Antec's P183. That's ok, but besides the limited airflow problem, it also brought another one: card length. Only cards up to 10.5"/a bit less than 27cm. *ouch!*

4-Because of point 3, the AMD 2xx/3xx series where out of the equation, they run too hot for my case and the third party coolers made them also too long. That left the GTX 970 as the only viable option, and I have to say that I was on the brink of getting one, but coil noise problems at first and lack of availabilty later prevented me to do that. And then came the 3.5+.05GB reveal. Oh, God. But hey, not everything was lost, Nvidia said that it wasn't a problem because they only had to tweak a little the drivers to optimize the games for such memory configuration, that it will be ok. And then The Witcher 3 came and, somehow, the Kepler cards had bad drivers that crippled its performance. And I had to trust them to make special drivers for the 970 memory configuration? Yeah, right...

And that's how I ended up in my current situation, being pissed of by the performance of the new AMD cards and the silly price of Nvidia's offerings.

Oh, and I haven't played anything the last couple of months because there were some troubles in the family and I wasn't in the mood. Luckily, the situation is almost solved.