By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I couldn't see yesterday's PC Gaming Show . How was it?

@green_sky: Thanks!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Uplay gets free games, similar to Origin's "on the House": https://club.ubi.com/#!/de-DE/ubi30

It starts with "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time"

Conina said:
Uplay gets free games, similar to Origin's "on the House": https://club.ubi.com/#!/de-DE/ubi30

Thanks!

I'm always open to free games .

By the way, there's something about the Xbox conference that I noticed and want to talk about here. It's about the Scorpio console.

During the "announcement" of the machine, the only two bits of data MSoft shared were those 6TFlops of compute power and a memory bandwidth of 320 GB/s.

Now, what most of us assumed was that these new machines (Scorpio and PS Neo) would feature a Polaris 10 chip, probably the one in the RX 480. The 6TFlops figure kind of confirms that, as the 480 with 2304 shaders running at 1,266 MHz delivers 5.8 TFlops, but the RX 480 has a 256 GB/s memory bandwidth, a lot slower than the quoted 320GB/s.

The question is: does it mean that MSoft is using an unknown GPU from AMD? Or the answer is simpler than that, and it's just that MSoft will use the RX 480 chip but with GDDR5X instead of the regular GDDR5 that the card will use? And if that's the case, does it mean that AIB partners could launch RX 480 variants with the faster GDDR5X memory?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Conina said:

Thanks!

I'm always open to free games .

By the way, there's something about the Xbox conference that I noticed and want to talk about here. It's about the Scorpio console.

During the "announcement" of the machine, the only two bits of data MSoft shared were those 6TFlops of compute power and a memory bandwidth of 320 GB/s.

Now, what most of us assumed was that these new machines (Scorpio and PS Neo) would feature a Polaris 10 chip, probably the one in the RX 480. The 6TFlops figure kind of confirms that, as the 480 with 2304 shaders running at 1,266 MHz delivers 5.8 TFlops, but the RX 480 has a 256 GB/s memory bandwidth, a lot slower than the quoted 320GB/s.

The question is: does it mean that MSoft is using an unknown GPU from AMD? Or the answer is simpler than that, and it's just that MSoft will use the RX 480 chip but with GDDR5X instead of the regular GDDR5 that the card will use? And if that's the case, does it mean that AIB partners could launch RX 480 variants with the faster GDDR5X memory?

Probably PS Neo will use a Polaris-based SoC and Scorpio will use a small version of a Vega-based SoC or a Zen/Polaris based SoC.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

Probably PS Neo will use a Polaris-based SoC and Scorpio will use a small version of a Vega-based SoC or a Zen/Polaris based SoC.

But Vega is HBM 2, and that would give it a lot more memory bandwidth.

Also, if MSoft is going with Zen, that's a whole new CPU architecture and who knows if they'll carry over the troublesome eSRAM and those extra co-processors they put on the Xbox One APU...

Developing for all the Xbox consoles will be a nightmare for a lot of devs, and that's bad news for XboxOne owners as that's the console that will most likely suffer the most.

Around the Network

This years' E3 was really great for the PC platform. Of course, you might have conflicted emotions about MS making their games W10 exclusive, but it is what it is, better than nothing. I've been on the fence to buy a gaming PC for quite a while now, but this E3 convinced me 100%.

As a side note, this song was pretty cool and worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBelh_8aqvk

JEMC said:

Also, if MSoft is going with Zen, that's a whole new CPU architecture and who knows if they'll carry over the troublesome eSRAM and those extra co-processors they put on the Xbox One APU...

Developing for all the Xbox consoles will be a nightmare for a lot of devs, and that's bad news for XboxOne owners as that's the console that will most likely suffer the most.

eSRAM was only needed as a crutch due to the slow DDR3 RAM. If they switch to GDDR5X or HBM2 RAM, they can probably ditch eSRAM, even for older XBO-games. They have to change the memory-setup for Scorpio anyway, 8 GB unified RAM won't be enough for 4K.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

eSRAM was only needed as a crutch due to the slow DDR3 RAM. If they switch to GDDR5X or HBM2 RAM, they can probably ditch eSRAM, even for older XBO-games. They have to change the memory-setup for Scorpio anyway, 8 GB unified RAM won't be enough for 4K.

But if they don't use the eSRAM, the performance of the games running on the X1 would be as bad as when the console launched if not worse.

And 8GB can be enough for 4K if they free more memory for the console. The Fury X and 980Ti run out of power before running out of VRAM at 4K... and do we really, really believe that consoles will be able to run the games at 4K next year? Because I doubt it.

So... I am planning to get a new monitor thats not too expensive cause my old one died and I need a quick replacement. And I was thinking about this one so what do you guys think?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-25um58-p-25in-ultrawide-ips-a4-126877.htm

I am looking for one around the $200-$250 cad range if anyone got any suggestions!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
So... I am planning to get a new monitor thats not too expensive cause my old one died and I need a quick replacement. And I was thinking about this one so what do you guys think?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-25um58-p-25in-ultrawide-ips-a4-126877.htm

I am looking for one around the $200-$250 cad range if anyone got any suggestions!

I've heard that the 21:9 aspect ratio doesn't work too mell on 1080p panels, the screen looks to short, but I haven't tested it by myself.

That said, most user reviews are very good so, why not?  

BasilZero said:
Conina said:

It says its been added but I dont see it? :(

I did it yesterday and had no troubles. Have you looked in your games in the UPlay platform?