By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

After working with it, I can recommend th Lian Li Lancool 216. It's big enough to hold any hardware and it's also very easy to work with it.

I only have to complains about it:

1) No dust filter. I've been using it since Wednesday and I can already see dust accumulation if the front mesh panel where the two 160mm fans are.

2) The PSU can only be installed in one way, with the fan facing down to draw cool air in. It won't not a problem with most power supplies, but for the hybrid ones that have to be installed the other way around to prevent heat from accumulating, it can be one.

It looks miles better than my current case, and I have been interested in the LL brand for a few years now. Having 2 large front facing fans would def be better than what I have now, which is 2 smaller front facing ones currently blocked by the old drive bay hanging in front.

I'll probably use 2 high pressure fans for the front and have 2 regular ones for the top vents. My CPU will still be using water cooling single fan, so that can remain at the rear like my current build.

I have the same dust complaint as you do, but I'll have to find some third party mesh I could use, since my 1080ti and PSU are currently the main dust culprits. My other issue I have to work out is to also add some NVME's to the list to slim down my usage of drives (got 5 SSD's atm and one HDD) to maybe 4, or even two, provided I can slot 2 NVME's onto the board. 

I've added the case to my list atm, but it will definitely be on the purchase priority as soon as I am able to get the other parts from the friend, thank ye for the tip broskie!.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
hellobion2 said:

Hello my fellow PC gamers I was wondering if anyone had any stories of playing games back in the dark ages of the Vista era?

I was playing Ragnarok Online during Vista era.

Truly the darkest of all eras if you were using Vista lol

JEMC said:

Well, it looks like it's upgrade season for some of us here, because I've also (finally!) upgraded my PC!

I've upgraded everything but the GPU. I'm not too demanding and my GTX 1070 will still do the job for me for a while. Also, the only option available right now in my price range is the 6700XT, because an 8GB card to play at 1440p is not a good idea. So, this is what I've got:

• Case: Lian Li Lancool 216
  • PSU: Seasonic Vertex GX-850
  • CPU cooler: Deepcool AK-620 (very easy to install)
  • Motherboard (the most expensive part of this build): Asus ROG Strix B650E-E (Murphy's Law. I paid more to get a card with a seven segment display because I got some troubles as of late, only to have none during this build)
  • RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000 32GB 2x16 CL30 AMD EXPO (worked without a single problem)
  • Storage. I went with two drives:
    • OS drive: WD Black SN850X 1TB
    • Games drive: WD Black SN770 2TB
  • CPU: R5 7600

Congrats on your nice new parts. I'm on a i7-4770 Xeon but won't be upgrading any time soon since I don't play modern demanding games, although The Last of Us Part 1 is pushing my Xeon and 6600XT to their limits.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Chazore said:

Hmm, I may be in the prospect of obtaining a mobo+AMD CPU and an RTX 3060 from a friend, though I am unsure if I'll be able to obtain all 3, but even if it's the mobo+CPU, that'll be good enough of an upgrade over my current i7-6700k (I really hate being limited in RAM speed via that CPU these days).

I'm not really interested that much in obtaining the GPU, since I've already compared it to what my 1080ti can do and it's honestly not all that worthwhile going for, but I can use it to pair with my current build as a spare rig (I'm really not interested in RT or frame generation, so those perks are moot to me).

Does anyone have any good case suggestions?. I'm wanting to go for a new case for improved ventilation (due to my 1080ti currently being limited to 2 fans instead of 3), since my current corsair C70 case has ventilation limitations via the front drive bay slot, and I'd really like to upgrade to a more modern case that doesn't restrict airflow as much.

Yeah, 3060 is not really an upgrade from 1080ti (they trade blows), and the only thing that really stands out is DLSS upscaling, even if you don't want RTX.

Another week, another round of news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

Cartoon spaceship disaster sim Space Crew is free to keep on Steam for a limited time
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/sim/cartoon-spaceship-disaster-sim-space-crew-is-free-to-keep-on-steam-for-a-limited-time/
Back in 2017, indie studio Runner Duck released Bomber Crew, a game we said wasn't quite a World War II version of spaceship sim FTL, but was pretty close—a cartoony management game where you've got a mission to accomplish and a team of experts to do it with, until you accidentally lose an engineer over the English Channel and it all goes a bit pomaceous.
In 2020 Runner Duck followed Bomber Crew with a game even closer to its inspiration called Space Crew, a game of juggling plates only instead of plates you're actually juggling Star Trek redshirts, and also the gravity has just failed. Its "legendary edition", which includes a new campaign, away missions, and unlockable legendary crew, is available for a grand total of zero space or Earth dollars on Steam until March 13.
The giveaway is to promote Runner Duck's next game, Badlands Crew, which will let you build and operate your own adorable Mad Max war rig for tactical post-apocalyptic shenanigans. The studio has found another genre to mine for chaotic good times, and it's the one where a gigantic repurposed truck covered in guns, fuel tanks, and possibly one musician playing extremely loud, hurtles across a wasteland while fending off attacks from rival gangs. Also, it's got sandworms.

Steam has two new deals for us:

Fancy a new Humble Bundle? The Games Done Quick – Frost Fatales 2024 Bundle has seven games to get during 11 days: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/games-done-quick-frost-fatales-2024.

And Fanatical has a few new deals:

In another news, Fanatical is changing the way it handles its Build Your Own Bundles. Learn how here: https://www.fanatical.com/en/blog/changing-the-way-we-handle-build-your-own-bundles.

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

Steam just set a new record as it surpassed over 34 million concurrent players
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/steam-34-million-concurrent-players/
Steam just set a new record of concurrent players. Back in January 2024, Valve’s digital platform surpassed 33 million concurrent players. And yesterday, Steam hit over 34 million concurrent players.
It’s also interesting to look at the Top 20 Most Played Games (for the last 24 hours). As we can see, the most played game remains Counter-Strike 2, followed by DOTA 2. It’s shockingly impressive how these games are still so popular. In third place, we find PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS, followed by Apex Legends, Helldivers 2 and NARAKA: BLADEPOINT. Palworld is in seventh place, whereas GTA5 and Baldur’s Gate 3 are in eighth and tenth place, respectively.

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

Take a look at FlatOut 2 with RTX Remix Path Tracing
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/take-a-look-at-flatout-2-with-rtx-remix-path-tracing/
Last month, we shared some screenshots showcasing FlatOut 2 with a WIP RTX Remix Mod. This mod aims to add Path Tracing effects to this old PC racing game. And yesterday, NVIDIA’s Jacob Freeman shared a video, showcasing the latest version of this mod.
This RTX Remix Mod for FlatOut 2 currently overhauls its lighting system. Right now, it does not make any changes to its assets. So, don’t expect any PBR materials, higher-quality textures, or better 3D models.
Despite these shortcomings, the new lighting does make the game shine. It obviously cannot compete with the latest Need for Speed or Forza games. However, it looks leagues better than its vanilla version.
For those wondering, this mod is still a WIP. This means that its final version may look better than what is being showcased here. So, make sure to keep that in mind.

Palworld just got a must-have mini map radar mod that displays the locations of all Pals, players and fast travel points
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/palworld-just-got-a-must-have-mini-map-radar-mod-that-displays-the-locations-of-all-pals-players-and-fast-travel-points/
Modder ‘T3R3NC3B’ has released a must-have mod for Palworld that displays the locations of all Pals, players and fast travel points. This mod will make it easier to find the Pals in the map, so be sure to use it if you are currently playing it.
Now the good news is that this mini map radar mod is compatible with both the single-player and online modes. Do note though that for online modes that use dedicated servers, the mod must be installed on clients.
This mini-map has a mega zoomed-out mode for easier navigating without opening the full map. It also has slightly auto-zoom functionalities based on your speed. Not only that but it can show rare/shiny pals on minimap, as well as the game’s chests. The minimap is also adjustable in-game with ease, and you are able to rotate it.
>> The article only has one screenshot.

You can now play Lies of P in first-person mode
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/lies-of-p-first-person-mode/
Modder ‘Cristiferbeast’ has released a new mod that allows you to experience NEOWIZ’s Bloodborne/Dark Souls-inspired game, Lies of P, in first-person mode. This is a really a really cool mod for those who have completed it but want to replay it. So, if you are one of them, make sure to download it.
Since Lies of P is a Souls-like game, it can be pretty difficult to play it in first-person mode. From what I can see, dodging works pretty well. However, you might have some difficulties with blocking enemy attacks. Dodge rolls may also feel a bit disoriented. And then there are some 360-degree special attack moves that can also feel a bit weird.
Again, this is for those that have already finished the game. If you haven’t completed it yet, or if you have just started it, I suggest staying away from it. This isn’t what you’d expect from an official first-person mode. Still, it can let the game’s veterans experience it in a completely different way.
>> They have forgotten to add the link to the mod in the article, but the embedded Youtube video about it, 9 minutes long, has the link to the mod in its description.

God of War Mod for GTA 5 Available in Early Access
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/god-of-war-mod-for-gta-5-available-in-early-access/
Talented modder ‘JulioNIB’ has released the first WIP Early Access version of his God of War Mod for Grand Theft Auto 5. This Early Access version is currently available only to the modder’s Patreon members. However, we expect this mod to become available to everyone once it leaves its Early Access phase.
To create this mod, JulioNIB took inspiration from GoW 3. The modder has implemented custom moves that were heavily inspired by those that Kratos had in the original game. And, to be honest, he did an amazing job at recreating them.
>> There’s a two minutes video of the mod.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Now Has a New HD Texture Pack That Upscales +1800 Textures
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/batman-arkham-asylum-now-has-a-new-hd-texture-pack-that-upscales-1800-textures/
Modder ‘FCH823’ has shared a new HD Texture Pack for Batman: Arkham Asylum that upscales over 1800 textures. This pack mostly covers environmental textures so that the game can look a bit crisper.
Now the big difference between this mod and Asylum Reborn is that the latter focuses on the game’s characters. As said, this latest pack mostly focuses on the environments. So, you might be able to use both of them.
As FCH823 noted, most diffuse textures have been upscaled X2. Moreover, some of the lower-resolution textures have been upscaled X4. The mod also includes the UI textures from Asylum HD UI.
>> The article has some comparison screenshots.

Cyberpunk 2077 Now Has a New Must-Have HD Texture Pack That Improves the Quality of Architectural, Terrain and Environment Textures
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/cyberpunk-2077-must-have-hd-texture-pack-environments/
Modder ‘nigeez’ recently launched a new HD Texture Pack for Cyberpunk 2077. This pack makes the game look way better by swapping out the low-quality textures with much clearer and sharper ones. Do note, though, that this pack only focuses on upgrading the quality of architectural, terrain, and environment textures.
This pack comes in two versions. The 4K version has mostly 4K textures (though there are some that are 2K). It also includes 2K normal maps (though some large area ones are at 4K). Plus, it has roughness maps at 2K and microblends at 1K (with some large area blends at 2K).
Do note that this mod won’t be compatible with Cyberpunk 2077 HD Reworked. So, you’ll have to disable it to see whether this new one produces better results. Or, you can skip it. The choice is yours.
>> This article also has some comparison screenshots.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Gets a Free AMD FSR 3.0 Frame Generation Mod for All GPUs
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/banishers-ghosts-of-new-eden-gets-amd-fsr-3-0-mod/
Modder ‘elrohir98’ has released a new mod that enables AMD FSR 3.0 Frame Generation in Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden. According to the modder, this mod will work with all AMD and NVIDIA GTX GPUs.
By default, Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden supports NVIDIA DLSS 3 Frame Generation. So, this mod basically replaces DLSS 3 FG with FSR 3.0 FG.
Before installing this mod, you must enable TAA in the game’s options. Otherwise, the game may not launch. So, once you’ve enabled TAA, unzip the mod (which you can download from this link) into the main game folder, and launch it. If you’ve done everything right, you’ll be able to activate the DLSS options.
Since this is an unofficial FSR 3.0 mod, it may have some visual and graphical glitches. Still, it will allow owners of older GPUs to enable Frame Generation so that they can target higher framerates.
>> The article has no screenshots nor videos.

Helldivers 2 Mod unlocks its hidden LAV, RECON & MECH vehicles
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/helldivers-2-mod-unlocks-its-hidden-lav-recon-mech-vehicles/
Modder ‘MadMax’ has released a new mod for Helldivers 2 that unlocks its hidden vehicles, meaning that you can use the LAV, RECON and MECH.
Now for those that are only interested in the MECH, there is a separate mod. This other mod unlocks the hidden two MECH variants with auto cannons and rockets.
You can download these mods from here and here, respectively. Do note that since these mods unlock hidden content, they might get you banned. So, use them at your own risk. From what we know, Arrowhead Game Studios will soon release a patch that will allow you to use the mechas.
(...)
Arrowhead Studios has claimed that 60% of the game’s sales are coming from the PC. In total, the game has sold nearly 3 million copies so far.
>> There’s a seven minutes video in the article.

There's an entire Skyrim mod dedicated to making you feel bad and weird about killing anybody, adding over 200 handwritten letters detailing their rich, inner lives
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/the-elder-scrolls/theres-an-entire-skyrim-mod-dedicated-to-making-you-feel-bad-and-weird-about-killing-anybody-adding-over-200-handwritten-letters-detailing-their-rich-inner-lives/
An old trick that any D&D Dungeon master knows well has snuck its way into Skyrim—thanks to modder Frib on Nexus Mods. 
Picture this: It's TTRPG night with your mates. You encounter some bandits on the road. You hurl a broad variety of spells, weapons, and arrows at the poor sods—one of them watches their friend get turned into a cow before the barbarian swings in and cleaves his head off. In the aftermath, the DM unfurls a crumpled, tea-stained note they painstakingly prepared: That bandit was Jeff. He had a wife, a family, and a bright spotted dog. Shame on you. Shame!
Well, now you can have a very similar experience in Skyrim. Shame of Skyrim adds over 200 personalised notes to enemies in the game—though they won't all cast them in a sympathetic light: "Reading some of these notes will make you feel ashamed for killing the holder. Other notes may make you feel ashamed that those people existed in the first place. Or maybe you're just dead inside and this doesn't affect you at all. Shame!"
In case you were worried that your Dragonborn might grow encumbered with tear-soaked letters, Frib reassures players that there's only around a 10% chance of getting your heart torn out of your chest. "But if you want more or less, you can simply edit the distribution ini file." (...)
>> There are no screenshots nor videos.

Sims 4 players hate its obtrusive new store button so much that a modder has already removed it
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/the-sims/sims-4-players-hate-its-obtrusive-new-store-button-so-much-that-a-modder-has-already-removed-it/
Alongside the new Crystal Creations DLC pack this week, The Sims 4 got a pretty standard game update with bug fixes—but it also brought a new interface icon that caused a bit of an "everyone disliked that" moment in the community. The Sims 4 now has a store icon visible at all times in its main toolbar, which players dislike so unanimously that someone's already made a mod to get rid of it.
"This cart emblazoned button has many uses ranging from sharing pack offers and sales information to recommending packs you might be interested in," says EA in the patch notes. "All accessible without leaving the comfort of your Sims' homes."
The initial issue was that the icon itself had a bug that was causing it to pulse continuously, which is an annoying distraction. That's already been fixed in a subsequent patch, but players are still pretty pissed. One modder, SimMattically, was annoyed enough to make a mod removing the cart button from the interface.
>> There’s only one screenshot in the article, and I don’t even know if it’s from the mod or not.

Skyrim remake of 24-year-old Vampire RPG shows off its modern London level, and the guns are way less janky than I expected
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/skyrim-remake-of-24-year-old-vampire-rpg-shows-off-its-modern-london-level-and-the-guns-are-way-less-janky-than-i-expected/
Skyrim total conversion mod Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption Reawakened just got an updated look at its modern-day portion, with a 10-minute video showcasing London in the year 2000, as well as how the team's managed to get firearms working pretty well in the battered warhorse that is Bethesda's seminal 2011 RPG.

GAMING NEWS

New official gameplay videos for Dragon’s Dogma 2 showcase pretty much all of its different classes
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/new-official-gameplay-videos-for-dragons-dogma-2-showcase-pretty-much-all-of-its-different-classes/
In the past couple of weeks, Capcom released a new set of short gameplay videos for Dragon’s Dogma 2 that showcase almost all of its different classes. As such, we’ve decided to share them in one big article.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Title Update 3 Released, Packs a HUGE List of Fixes, Reduces FSR 3 Artifacts, Improves Texture Streaming
https://www.dsogaming.com/patches/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-title-update-3-released-packs-a-huge-list-of-fixes-reduces-fsr-3-artifacts-improves-texture-streaming/
Ubisoft has released Title Update 3 for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. This patch is almost 10GB in size on PC, and packs a lot of fixes, tweaks and improvements. Moreover, it comes with some PC-specific tweaks. So, let’s take a closer look at it.

No Rest for the Wicked Hits Steam Early Access on April 18th, Gets a 20-Minute Gameplay Showcase
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/no-rest-for-the-wicked-hits-steam-early-access-on-april-18th-gets-a-20-minute-gameplay-showcase/
Moon Studios has announced that its upcoming action RPG, No Rest for the Wicked will be coming to Steam Early Access on April 18th. To celebrate this announcement, the team also shared a 20-minute gameplay showcase that you can find below.

TRIBES 3: Rivals hits Steam Early Access on March 12th, gets official PC system requirements
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/tribes-3-steam-early-access-pc-requirements/
Prophecy Games has announced that TRIBES 3 Rivals will hit Steam Early Access on March 12th. In addition, the developers shared the game’s official PC system requirements which you can find below.

Genshin Impact Patch 4.5 releases on March 13th, adding Training Guide and two mini-games
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/genshin-impact-patch-4-5-releases-on-march-13th-adding-training-guide-and-two-mini-games/
miHoYo has announced that Patch 4.5 for Genshin Impact will be released on March 13th. To celebrate this announcement, the team shared its key features, as well as a trailer that highlights most of them.

Pokemon-inspired creature-collection adventure game, Temtem, will remove microtransactions in next patch
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/pokemon-inspired-creature-collection-adventure-game-temtem-will-remove-microtranscations-in-next-patch/
Crema has announced that it will remove all microtransactions from its Pokemon-inspired creature-collection adventure game, Temtem, in its next update. Moreover, the team revealed that it has wrapped up its development. From Update 1.8 and onwards, the game will not receive any new content.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Monday news, part two:

Tekken 8 boss Katsuhiro Harada helps bereaved fan preserve AI 'ghost' of their dead brother
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fighting/tekken-8-boss-katsuhiro-harada-helps-bereaved-fan-preserve-ai-ghost-of-their-dead-brother/
Tekken 8 executive game director Katsuhiro Harada has offered a helping hand to a fan whose brother unexpectedly died not long after the game released, explaining how to preserve an AI-driven "ghost" of the brother's Tekken character.

This indie 'adventure flight' game dares to ask, 'What if Crimson Skies was about making beer?'
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/action/this-indie-adventure-flight-game-dares-to-ask-what-if-crimson-skies-was-about-making-beer/
The Brew Barons is a game built on an idea that is simultaneously very odd and so perfectly aimed at my specific interests that as soon as I saw the first trailer, I had to know more. It's a mashup of old-timey Crimson Skies-style aeroplanes and beer, and as weird as that sounds, it actually comes together pretty well.

Poker-themed deckbuilder Balatro gets delisted from some stores after its PEGI rating absurdly jumps from 3 to 18+ over 'gambling imagery'
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/card-games/poker-themed-deckbuilder-balatro-gets-delisted-from-some-stores-after-its-pegi-rating-absurdly-jumps-from-3-to-18-over-gambling-imagery/
Roguelike deckbuilder Balatro has run into a problem related to its poker-inspired gameplay and imagery. Its age rating in some parts of the world has changed since the game's launch in February, and as a result the console version of the game has been removed from some online stores, according to Balatro publisher Playstack, who posted a message on Twitter today.

InXile's upcoming steampunk RPG will contain bread, in case you were wondering about its grain content
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/inxiles-upcoming-steampunk-rpg-will-contain-bread-in-case-you-were-wondering-about-its-grain-content/
To be perfectly honest, I'd completely forgotten about Clockwork Revolution, a distinctly BioShock Infinite-looking first-person immersive sim revealed by inXile Entertainment in June 2023. In my defense, it's been quite some time since we last heard about it, but the studio recently reminded followers that it's happening in a most unusual way.

Diablo 4 finally recognizes necromancers just want a skeleton posse and sprinkles buffs on our boys in bone
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/action/diablo-4-finally-recognizes-necromancers-just-want-a-skeleton-posse-and-sprinkles-buffs-on-our-boys-in-bone/
Diablo 4's necromancer class fails the only test any game with a necromancer class needs to pass—which is whether or not you can command a deadly army of skeletons. Minions in Diablo 4 are weaker than the free spider pet everyone gets as part of season 3. They're so bad that you can pick up every minion-based skill and do more damage by not even summoning them.
That could change in Diablo 4's mid-season patch next Tuesday. The necromancer skeletons are all having their damage and health increased, and complementary skills, like Corpse Explosion, are getting buffed too. Blizzard said on a stream yesterday that these changes will be the first step toward bigger reworks to minions coming in season 4.

Starfield's next update will improve the photo mode so you can finally smile pretty for your pictures
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/starfields-next-update-will-improve-the-photo-mode-so-you-can-finally-smile-pretty-for-your-pictures/
A new Starfield update is headed for Steam beta next week, with a focus on quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes: The scanner is getting an upgrade, mission tracking is being improved, and you'll finally be able to smile in your photos.
>> That next week is this week.

Star Wars: Dark Forces' box art showed a level that wasn't in the game: nearly 30 years later, we can finally play it thanks to the remaster
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fps/star-wars-dark-forces-box-art-showed-a-level-that-wasnt-in-the-game-30-years-later-we-can-finally-play-it-thanks-to-the-remaster/
Nightdive Studios' quality remaster of Star Wars: Dark Forces is an excellent way to revisit Kyle Katarn's first adventure, a landmark FPS that would give rise to some of the best lightsaber action games ever. As pointed out by the Twitter account of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight fan site df-21.net, the remaster also preserves a bit of FPS history with its restoration of cut level, the ISD Avenger.

Be a cat god in space and build planets by placing tiles in Nekokami
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/be-a-cat-god-in-space-and-build-planets-by-placing-tiles-in-nekokami/
In a far-future world where sci-fi cats rule the universe, you're responsible for making worlds with the help of spiritual technology as an employee of Nekokami Co. By placing tiles to increase the size of biomes you empower them to get larger and more complex, providing more habitat for the Kami, the nature spirits that empower your efforts. Also, for whatever reason, all the most powerful gods seem to be cats too.

Call of Duty has already thrown King Kong, Godzilla, and Nicki Minaj into its brand synergy blender, so a Warhammer 40,000 crossover is next
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/call-of-duty/call-of-duty-has-already-thrown-king-kong-godzilla-and-nicki-minaj-into-its-brand-synergy-blender-so-a-warhammer-40000-crossover-is-next/
"Operators are only as strong as the oaths they uphold", says the official Call of Duty Twitter account, by way of announcing skins based on gothic space satire Warhammer 40,000 are coming to Warzone and Modern Warfare 3. Expect skins based on the Adeptus Astartes, Adepta Sororitas, and Astra Militarum among others, which is to say the superhuman space marines and battle sisters as well as the poor doomed ordinary troopers of the Imperial Guard. I suspect the marines will not actually be eight-feet tall, as that might make it a bit too easy to noscope headshot them.

Toothpaste turrets and deadly pillows keep people out of your house in this fusion of beat 'em up and tower defense
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/action/toothpaste-turrets-and-deadly-pillows-keep-people-out-of-your-house-in-this-fusion-of-beat-em-up-and-tower-defense/
A great way to get the attention of bored games writers is to make your game trailer so hysterically absurd that they can't help but share it. So it was with Pull Stay, the game I called a "fountain of Japanese slapstick" back in 2020 when its trailer was probably the most ridiculous game trailer you'd watched that week. Following a successful Kickstarter and subsequent development, Pull Stay has now brought its antics to Steam in early access.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Surprising no-one, here’s the third part of the Monday news:

Collect a stable of weird monsters, and dice, in roguelike Dicefolk
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/card-games/collect-a-stable-of-weird-monsters-and-dice-in-roguelike-dicefolk/
Indie creature-collecting roguelike Dicefolk has gotten some positive steam this week following release on February 27. In it you use magical dice to build up your team of mythical creatures—Chimeras—in order to defeat a mysterious evil threat. There's a demo if you want to try it for yourself.

Spiritfall is an action roguelite with the combat of a platform fighter
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/roguelike/spiritfall-is-an-action-roguelike-with-the-combat-of-a-platform-fighter/
Recent action roguelike Spiritfall has a new spin on the genre, incorporating the combat style of platform fighters like Super Smash Bros and MultiVersus with the ever-upgrading power curve of the roguelike genre. By choosing from some 150 or so blessings your divine warrior can synergize out some wild combos to defeat your enemies—or make a bad build, die, and start over.

Old school co-op action RPG Secrets of Grindea releases after a decade of early access
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/old-school-co-op-action-rpg-secrets-of-grindea-releases-after-a-decade-of-early-access/
After a long and I'm sure eventful development, cooperative four-player action RPG Secrets of Grindea has released after roughly a decade available to the public. A decided old school game, Grindea is intended as a tribute to and parody of the SNES era of gaming, but with the kind of length, depth, and variety only available on modern hardware.

Path of Achra is a bite-size, old-school, dungeon-crawling dark fantasy treat
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/roguelike/path-of-achra-is-a-bite-size-old-school-dungeon-crawling-dark-fantasy-treat/
It has been a while since a traditional roguelike RPG caught my eye, but no longer: Path of Achra is a dark fantasy game of an ancient earth where gods and sorcerers battle with mighty warriors and heroes. You're an adventurer on the path through Achra seeking the Obelisk beyond, which you do via a series of little mini-roguelike dungeon areas, each small enough to fit on a single screen.

Helldivers 2 has a balance patch coming, but 'it mostly consists of simple stat changes', says senior game designer
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/helldivers-2-has-a-balance-patch-coming-but-it-mostly-consists-of-simple-stat-changes-says-senior-game-designer/
Helldivers 2 has a whole host of weapons and stratagems to offer, but if you ask any red-blooded Super Earth patriot what their favourite loadout is, then the same few names are bound to come up. The SG-225 Breaker, the Orbital Laser, the Railgun—with some honorary scattered mentions for stratagems like Autocannon.
(...)
Luckily, Arrowhead's going to be making some tweaks. As spotted by Gamesradar, community manager Baskinator responded to a fan asking about a potential balance patch with a simple: "We are working on that for an update, yes."

Helldivers 2 director explains how its freedom and wacky guns were inspired by tabletop: 'Let the player do the action, and you'll see what happens'
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/helldivers-2-director-explains-how-its-freedom-and-wacky-guns-were-inspired-by-tabletop-let-the-player-do-the-action-and-youll-see-what-happens/
If you asked me to list PC gaming's contributions to the hobby at large, it wouldn't take long for me to hit emergent gameplay, that hallmark of immersive sims and other PC-centric genres where a developer makes a sandbox deep enough to celebrate genuine player freedom and creativity⁠—Baldur's Gate 3 is one recent emergent gameplay champion, and so is the smash hit co-op shooter, Helldivers 2.

Palworld players turn to more honest work after a patch robs them of their nail grift: Dooming a merchant to a Greek mythology-tier punishment loop of burning to death forever
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/survival-crafting/palworld-players-turn-to-more-honest-work-after-a-patch-robs-them-of-their-nail-grift-dooming-a-merchant-to-a-greek-mythology-tier-punishment-loop-of-burning-to-death-forever/
Alas, Palworld's nail economy is in shambles as per its latest update. In case you missed that particular patch, nails used to sell for an obscene 160 gold a piece, making them a great way to grind money. That's been fixed, so players have had to turn to simpler labour. Like tilling fields, or setting up an infinite death trap their victims have no hopes of escaping—wait a second.

Stardew Valley 1.6 'adds so much stuff to all the different aspects of the game', teases creator
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/life-sim/stardew-valley-16-adds-so-much-stuff-to-all-the-different-aspects-of-the-game-teases-creator/
Stardew Valley's 1.6 update has been in the works for just under a year—I know because I can't stop checking my watch. As the release date (March 19) approaches, developer Eric "ConcernedApe" Barone has teased that the update packs in a lot more than what's been revealed. 

You're waking up to bad Galactic War news in Helldivers 2 because the bugs and bots don't sleep, says developer Arrowhead's CEO: 'It's a push and pull'
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/youre-waking-up-to-bad-galactic-war-news-in-helldivers-2-because-the-bugs-and-bots-dont-sleep-says-developer-arrowheads-ceo-its-a-push-and-pull/
The galactic war in Helldivers 2 proceeds apace, and it sure is fun to watch, from memes about the creek to Veld-induced panic, there's a whole lot happening day by day. The current major order to keep Heeth and Angel's Venture safe is going well, but players are starting to notice something strange. They plug in the hours to defend Super Earth, but when they wake up the next morning, all that progress has gone down the drain. What gives?
Turns out, bugs and bots don't sleep, that's what gives—as noted by Arrowhead Games' CEO Johan Pilestedt on Twitter over the weekend. "I've seen many posts about a planet's liberation amount—at peak [Concurrent Users (CCU)] the community is able to liberate high amounts, but as soon as peak passes, the enemies manage to take the planet back."

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

I've upgraded everything but the GPU. I'm not too demanding and my GTX 1070 will still do the job for me for a while. Also, the only option available right now in my price range is the 6700XT, because an 8GB card to play at 1440p is not a good idea. So, this is what I've got:

It's not the end of the world to hold out for awhile longer... We are seeing some significant downward pricing tends at the moment... Mostly in part to nVidia's Super series and AMD GRE cards placing downward pressure which has seen even cards like the Radeon 7700 12GB drop down in price by $30 USD.

It also depends on what games you run at 1440P, if it's older titles then 8GB is fine...  A modern 8GB mid-range card can offer a 50% performance improvement or more over the older 1070 regardless of resolution. - But I am probably not telling you anything new here, you would have pushed a ton of games through that 1070 over the years.
Not ideal of course, but there are gains to be had... Just something to think about.

The main problem isn't the performance of today, which is fine and even the 7600 runs around circles of my 1070, but how they'll fare in three or four years. That's when those 8GB will start to be a real cause of concern and, since I try to make my hardware last for as long as possible, that's why I'm looking at cards with more than that, leaving me with the 6700 and 7700 cards. And the newer ones are still sold for around 500€, which is ridiculous.

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

I know, I know. I can almost imagine some of you writing something along the line of "I would never anyhting less than an 8 core CPU in 2024, and that would be the very minimum". And the truth is that I agree, an 8 core CPU is the way to go if you can afford it.

The thing is that this whole build has always been the foundation for the definitive build, not the final one. You see, I've taken the gamble that AMD will launch another gen of CPUs after the launch of the zen5 based 9000 ones that we'll get this year and before moving to a new socket. And the plan is to wait for that and then get the equivalent of the 5800X3D/7800X3D of the time.

Because of that, it doesn't make sense to overspend on a CPU that will get replaced in maybe three or four years, hence the 7600.

Also, since I'm coming from an i5-4670K with 4 cores/4 threads, the jump is already big:

(I used the CPU-Z bench to not stress to much my old CPU)

A 70% increase in single core and more than 200% in multicore is great.

I wouldn't even go with only an 8-core CPU. Different horses for different courses. Haha
I'm still clinging to an old Ryzen 5950X, have to admit, been tempted to upgrade for faster single core performance, but I am trying my hardest to wait for the 8000 series.
I'm doing a ton of 3D design work for 3D printing, so the extra cores have come in handy when I have a few dozen designs all running at the same time without a single slowdown... Plus transcoding to devices for 4k quality media, not unusual to have CPU utilization at 70-80% across all 32 threads for a full day...

The Ryzen 7600 is a good chip and is probably the better option over having to regress to AM4 in my opinion... The slowest AM5 8-core chips tend to command a 50% AUD price premium over the 7600.

Your other potential option was the Ryzen 8500G, which would have hit the performance a bit, but would have saved $30 AUD, I assume you made that assessment and opted for the faster chip anyway.
The 7600 should still provide a better experience than the current gen consoles in gaming, so you are all set for a few years I think.

Happy gaming on the new hardware!

I thought about going the APU route, but with the 8600G in my mind as the 8500G makes too many coimpromises, like coming with 4 Zen4c cores, but the 8600G is more expensive than the 7600 I went with while being slower.

To be fair, I would have gone with the X version if the price between them had been close, but there was a deal that made the choice easier. The 7700 would have been another 100€, which was too much to make sense given the idea behind the build.

Thank you!

Chazore said:
JEMC said:

After working with it, I can recommend th Lian Li Lancool 216. It's big enough to hold any hardware and it's also very easy to work with it.

I only have to complains about it:

1) No dust filter. I've been using it since Wednesday and I can already see dust accumulation if the front mesh panel where the two 160mm fans are.

2) The PSU can only be installed in one way, with the fan facing down to draw cool air in. It won't not a problem with most power supplies, but for the hybrid ones that have to be installed the other way around to prevent heat from accumulating, it can be one.

It looks miles better than my current case, and I have been interested in the LL brand for a few years now. Having 2 large front facing fans would def be better than what I have now, which is 2 smaller front facing ones currently blocked by the old drive bay hanging in front.

I'll probably use 2 high pressure fans for the front and have 2 regular ones for the top vents. My CPU will still be using water cooling single fan, so that can remain at the rear like my current build.

I have the same dust complaint as you do, but I'll have to find some third party mesh I could use, since my 1080ti and PSU are currently the main dust culprits. My other issue I have to work out is to also add some NVME's to the list to slim down my usage of drives (got 5 SSD's atm and one HDD) to maybe 4, or even two, provided I can slot 2 NVME's onto the board. 

I've added the case to my list atm, but it will definitely be on the purchase priority as soon as I am able to get the other parts from the friend, thank ye for the tip broskie!.

You can replace the two 160mm at the front with 3x120mm or 2x140mm, if that's what you want

As far as storage goes, you'll be hard pressed to find a modern case capable of housing more than 2 3.5" HDDs. Case manufacturers seem to think that everybody has moved on to SSD or "the cloud". And the 216 is no exception, with room for only 2 HDDs. When it comes to SSDs, you're in luck as it can store 6, but the problem will then move to motherboards with enough SATA ports for all of them.

m0ney said:
JEMC said:

Well, it looks like it's upgrade season for some of us here, because I've also (finally!) upgraded my PC!

• Case: Lian Li Lancool 216
  • PSU: Seasonic Vertex GX-850
  • CPU cooler: Deepcool AK-620 (very easy to install)
  • Motherboard (the most expensive part of this build): Asus ROG Strix B650E-E (Murphy's Law. I paid more to get a card with a seven segment display because I got some troubles as of late, only to have none during this build)
  • RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000 32GB 2x16 CL30 AMD EXPO (worked without a single problem)
  • Storage. I went with two drives:
    • OS drive: WD Black SN850X 1TB
    • Games drive: WD Black SN770 2TB
  • CPU: R5 7600

Congrats on your nice new parts. I'm on a i7-4770 Xeon but won't be upgrading any time soon since I don't play modern demanding games, although The Last of Us Part 1 is pushing my Xeon and 6600XT to their limits.

Thank you.

To be fair, games weren't the main reason to upgrade, but the general performance of it. For example, I've set my anti virus to do a full scan every week, on Saturday morning when I'm busy with house chores and other errants and, while the mechanical drives play a role in it as well, it took around 5 hours to complete. The new one, with the same files and mechanbical drives, did it in around 2 hours the first time, and it will be less the following times when it only has to scan the new or modified files.

This may be an odd question but does anyone know of any wired keyboards (perhaps a fancy mechanical one) that you can plug in from the side? Bonus points if it has dedicated and sensible media controls. My wireless one works well enough but I wouldn't mind something with lower latency and better keys - only problem being that a traditional back plug doesn't fit my current setup.

Thanks.