By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

haxxiy said:

The Radeon Control Panel is like four parallel universes ahead of Nvidia's. I swear that thing looks about the same in the 4090 as it did in the 9600 I had 15 years ago. It had some cool features you can't really replace even with Afterburner/Rivatuner.

I know, it's like those webpages in the 90s. It's downright shameful to have such a terrible UI on your control panel in 2023. They're currently valued at 1.1 trillion dollars, and someone's grandma is still makes those menus.

Around the Network

They also require you to log into Geforce Experience if you want to use that but that's not even the worst part. The worst part is it forgets your username/password from time to time and I can never remember what my username/password was for that trash.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mummelmann said:
haxxiy said:

The Radeon Control Panel is like four parallel universes ahead of Nvidia's. I swear that thing looks about the same in the 4090 as it did in the 9600 I had 15 years ago. It had some cool features you can't really replace even with Afterburner/Rivatuner.

I know, it's like those webpages in the 90s. It's downright shameful to have such a terrible UI on your control panel in 2023. They're currently valued at 1.1 trillion dollars, and someone's grandma is still makes those menus.

Perhaps they will upgrade it to "Control Panel with RTX" by using "RTX Remix" to look more modern someday.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

They also require you to log into Geforce Experience if you want to use that but that's not even the worst part. The worst part is it forgets your username/password from time to time and I can never remember what my username/password was for that trash.

I stopped using GFE for multiple reasons that still persist to this day. Reasons like:

GFE suggests "ultra" for every fucking game and often at times at 4k res

GFE forgets my login multiple times during each week.

GFE still takes up some CPU/memory (Even with 16gb ram, I am still memory conscious, and GFE containers in task manager take up more memory combined than Steam's containers).

GFE overlay still doesn't play nice with games (just like how you see guides on PC Gaming wiki/Steam that suggest to disable Steam overlay for perf gains, the same is also said for GFE, and in cases for me, disabling it completely did net me gains).

I uninstalled GFE sometime last year and went with a fresh driver install, so now it's just Nvidia control panel and that's about it. I still think Nvidia control panel looks like garbo and feels super ancient (especially not helpful when ppl do those Nvidia guides, and there are certain additions to the panel that aren't there for me and that will never stop annoying).

The first reason and the main one for me originally using GFE in the first place was primarily for the GFE auto settings tuner for games, which still just fails at properly detecting your hw, looking up bench test data of that hw, combine the results and then tune game settings according to those benchmarks. Since Nvidia is doped up on the AI drug, maybe they should actually make use of their AI and actually have it work with GFE, so that that feature isn't a total waste of time and space. 

Imagine if GFE was accurate as fuck in detecting what settings you should use to 100% get a steady if not locked target framerate, all without you tweaking anything, that'd be amazing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

I stopped using GFE for multiple reasons that still persist to this day. Reasons like:

GFE still takes up some CPU/memory (Even with 16gb ram, I am still memory conscious, and GFE containers in task manager take up more memory combined than Steam's containers).

GFE overlay still doesn't play nice with games (just like how you see guides on PC Gaming wiki/Steam that suggest to disable Steam overlay for perf gains, the same is also said for GFE, and in cases for me, disabling it completely did net me gains).

I uninstalled GFE sometime last year and went with a fresh driver install, so now it's just Nvidia control panel and that's about it. I still think Nvidia control panel looks like garbo and feels super ancient (especially not helpful when ppl do those Nvidia guides, and there are certain additions to the panel that aren't there for me and that will never stop annoying).

The first reason and the main one for me originally using GFE in the first place was primarily for the GFE auto settings tuner for games, which still just fails at properly detecting your hw, looking up bench test data of that hw, combine the results and then tune game settings according to those benchmarks. Since Nvidia is doped up on the AI drug, maybe they should actually make use of their AI and actually have it work with GFE, so that that feature isn't a total waste of time and space. 

Imagine if GFE was accurate as fuck in detecting what settings you should use to 100% get a steady if not locked target framerate, all without you tweaking anything, that'd be amazing.

Yea it feels like GFE is made by underpaid highschool interns. It makes no sense why it's so shitty. The best thing Nvidia ever did is make that garbage optional during the installation process which is sad.

Like I don't even need GFE to be super accurate, I would like it to be some what accurate but instead, the optimizations it recommends can not only be wonky but when you apply it through GFE, it doesn't even apply them correctly from time to time.

Maybe Nvidia should come out with an Ai that can give tell them how to make that shat better cause boy, it has been terrible for over a decade.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Let's go with the Thursday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

This week, the Epic Store gives away Godlike Burger (the link may not work): https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/godlike-burger-4150a0.
Next week, they'll give away Blazing Sails and Q.U.B.E. ULTIMATE BUNDLE.

Steam has two new sales:

The Humble Store has the Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - Imperial Edition - 4 Pack 50% off during the next 6 days. It's far from cheap and also for Steam: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-darktide-imperial-edition-4pack.

Fanatical has two new bundles:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

INTEL Arc & Iris Graphics 31.0.101.4885
https://videocardz.com/driver/intel-arc-iris-graphics-31-0-101-4885
Highlights
Intel® Game On Driver support on Intel® Arc™ A-series Graphics for:

• Assassin’s Creed Mirage
  • Forza Motorsport

Game performance improvements versus Intel® 31.0.101.4826 software driver for
**list of 20 DX11 games that I won't quote**

Fixed Issues
Intel® Arc™ Graphics Products:

• EA Sports FC 24 (DX12) may experience application crash during gameplay.
  • UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection (DX12) may exhibit texture corruption on characters.
  • Starfield (DX12) may experience sporadic instability in some areas of the game.
  • Dying Light 2 Stay Human (DX12) may exhibit color corruption during gameplay.
  • Fortnite (DX12) may experience application crash when Global Illumination setting is set to Lumen Epic.
  • Adobe After Effects may experience an application crash during render operations.
  • Some Intel® Arc™ A-Series Graphics notebooks may incorrectly report a higher value than expected for default clock frequency value

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

This Fallout 4 Mod adds real locational damage to all enemies
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/this-fallout-4-mod-adds-real-locational-damage-to-all-enemies/
Modder ‘Zzyxzz’ has released a mod that implemented DirectHit in Fallout 4, allowing you to deal real locational damage to your enemies. This mod will completely change the way you play Fallout 4, and we highly recommend trying it.
DirectHit Mod for Fallout 4 changes how damage is calculated on the engine level of Fallout 4. As its description reads.
“In the vanilla game, every hit is calculated against the combined armor you are wearing. It doesn’t matter, if you hit a body part with no armor or a body part which is covered by a big and heavy armor. It always deals the same amount of damage. DirectHit changes that. When you use DirectHit and shoot at a body part, the damage is only calculated against the “natural armor*” and the armor that is equipped on that body part. This mean, shooting at body parts with no armor, will deal more damage, than shooting at body parts covered by metal plates.”
What’s also cool here is that the mod takes into account the game’s Power Armor. As such, Power Armor will negate damage completely until its parts break. Furthermore, body parts that are no longer covered by Power Armor Parts are vulnerable to damage.
>> The article has no screenshots nor videos of this mod.

Cyberpunk 2077 mod means you never have to choose between bullet time and hacking again
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-mod-means-you-never-have-to-choose-between-bullet-time-and-hacking-again/
Early on in my Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 playthrough, I had to make a huge decision: should I install the brain implant that lets me trigger bullet time whenever I want if it means my hacking days are over?
It's the give-and-take of Cyberpunk's revamped cyberware system. While your arms, spine, and legs can hold multiple mods at once, you can only have one operating system, and by default, that OS is a cyberdeck that enables quickhacking on enemies and the environment. There are two similarly powerful alternatives to the cyberdeck that give you a huge edge in combat at the cost of hacking: the Sandevistan, which slows down time only for you, and Berserks, implants that makes you temporarily unkillable but limit you to melee weapons.
The problem is that they all rule.
I eventually settled on a Sandevistan and don't regret it, but I do feel left out when I see microwaves I can't explode and cars I can't send careening into a group of baddies. It would be nice to have a bit of both, which is why I'm glad the Cyberware-Ex mod exists. Created by Nexus Mods user psiberx, Cyberware-Ex creates a new operating system slot (or several, if you prefer) so you can finally be a gladiator-ninja-hacker all rolled into one.
>> There's only one screenshot.

Starfield mod lets you loot corpses down to their undies just like Skyrim and Fallout 4
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-mod-lets-you-loot-corpses-down-to-their-undies-just-like-skyrim-and-fallout-4/
Back in the good old days of Bethesda RPGs (and I'm talking about Oblivion, Skyrim, and the Fallout games) when you killed a fool you could loot them of all their stuff. And I mean everything! Not just weapons and cash, but outfits, pieces of armor, helmets, hats, and dignity. When you looted a dead enemy in those games, you left behind nothing but a corpse in its underwear.
To the disappointment of many, Starfield works a bit differently. You can sometimes get a helmet or spacesuit off a dead foe, but usually when you loot someone you just come away with their weapons, maybe some credits or aid items, and perhaps a few other odds and ends. That can be a bummer if you ice someone who's got some nice clothes or a spacesuit you'd really like to wear or sell.
Now there's a fix for that, courtesy of Modder jedijosh920. As you can see in the video above, the Classic NPC Loot System mod brings back that old timey goodness of taking absolutely everything from a corpse's inventory, including clothing, spacesuits, hats, and helmets. Finally, you can feel like you're the true hero of a Bethesda RPG by leaving a trail of nearly-naked bodies in your wake. The only real downside is you're gonna wind up overencumbered even more often than you already do.
>> There's a short video of this mod in action.

GAMING NEWS

Here are 10 minutes of raw gameplay footage from EA Sports WRC
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-are-10-minutes-of-raw-gameplay-footage-from-ea-sports-wrc/
Electronic Arts has released a new video for EA Sports WRC, showcasing 10 minutes of raw gameplay footage from it. In this video, rally driver and game designer Jon Armstrong grabs the wheel and tackles three of the game’s tracks.

RoboCop: Rogue City PC demo available for download on Steam
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/robocop-rogue-city-pc-demo-available-for-download-on-steam/
Now here is a pleasant surprise. NACON and Teyon have released a PC demo for RoboCop: Rogue City on Steam. For the next 13 days, PC gamers can download this demo, test their PC systems, and get to experience the first part of this new upcoming RoboCop game.

Assassin’s Creed Mirage Day-1 Patch detailed, brings gameplay fixes and graphics improvements
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assassins-creed-mirage-day-1-patch-detailed-brings-gameplay-fixes-and-graphics-improvements/
Ubisoft has detailed the day-1 update for Assassin’s Creed Mirage that will be available today, and shared its full patch notes. This day-1 patch will update your game’s version to 1.0.2, and on PC it’s already included in the 41.6 GB game files. In other words, you won’t have to manually download it.
>> And Ubisoft has made a PR stunt for the launch of this game.

Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 2.01 released and here is its full changelog
https://www.dsogaming.com/patches/cyberpunk-2077-patch-2-01-released-and-here-is-its-full-changelog/
CD Projekt RED has just released Patch 2.01 for Cyberpunk 2077, and shared its complete changelog. According to the team, Update 2.01 addresses the most common issues players have encountered and improves overall performance on all platforms, especially in Dogtown.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer footage leaks ahead of its official reveal
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-multiplayer-footage-leaks-ahead-of-its-official-reveal/
In a few hours, Activision will hold its CODNext event in which it will reveal some new gameplay footage from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. However, it appears that a couple of gameplay videos have been leaked online ahead of that event.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Thursday news, part two:

Haunted Chocolatier teasers are still rolling even while development is paused for Stardew
https://www.pcgamer.com/haunted-chocolatier-teasers-are-still-rolling-even-while-development-is-paused-for-stardew/
We've gotten another bittersweet taste of Haunted Chocolatier. Sweet because, well, it's Haunted Chocolatier, and bitter because I still don't know when this game is coming out. But we do have some new screenshots: in a tweet earlier today, Haunted Chocolatier and Stardew Valley dev Eric 'ConcernedApe' Barone shared four tantalising new screenshots of the spooky sweet-making sim.

New World ends its 2-year-long horseless era by adding mounts and leaps up the Steam charts, just below Counter-Strike 2
https://www.pcgamer.com/new-world-ends-it-2-year-long-horseless-era-by-adding-mounts-and-leaps-up-the-steam-charts-just-below-counter-strike-2/
New World's first expansion arrived yesterday, and along with the addition of flails, the ability to turn into some kind of vengeful nature monster, a transformed zone and another expedition, it also solves one of my big launch bugbears: it's finally added mounts.
Customisable horses, dire wolves and lions can now join you on your adventures, with their arrival accompanied by a new riding skill that will eventually see you netting higher speeds and better buffs. At last.

Five former Ubisoft employees arrested following investigation into sexual misconduct complaints at the company
https://www.pcgamer.com/five-former-ubisoft-employees-arrested-following-investigation-into-sexual-misconduct-complaints-at-the-company/
A Liberation report (Google translated) says five former Ubisoft employees, including former chief creative officer Serge Hascoët and vice president of editorial and creative services Tommy François, have been arrested in France for questioning about allegations of sexual harassment and abuse while at the company.

Well that didn't take long: Diablo 4 is coming to Steam
https://www.pcgamer.com/well-that-didnt-take-long-diablo-4-is-coming-to-steam/
Boy, that sure didn't take long. Blizzard announced today that Diablo 4, the latest iteration of its demon-clobbering action-RPG, will be coming to Steam on October 17, and is available for wishlisting now.

Laid-off BioWare employees sue over severance pay: 'We are struggling to understand why BioWare is shortchanging us'
https://www.pcgamer.com/laid-off-bioware-employees-sue-over-severance-pay-we-are-struggling-to-understand-why-bioware-is-shortchanging-us/
A group of seven former BioWare employees who were among the 50 laid off in August have filed a lawsuit against the company seeking better severance pay and punitive damages for what they claim is "unreasonably poor treatment by BioWare" following their termination.

Cyberpunk 2077 developer defends Bethesda's work on Starfield: 'They are just doing something different with their time and that's cool'
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-developer-defends-bethesdas-work-on-starfield-they-are-just-doing-something-different-with-their-time-and-thats-cool/
Starfield is a good game, but it's also been the subject of a perhaps-unexpected level of criticism from players, exacerbated by the triumphant Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 comeback. But in response to a player's complaints about Starfield's use of Creation Engine 2—an updated version of the aging Creation Engine that was first used in 2011 for The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim—one Cyberpunk 2077 developer took a minute to defend Bethesda's sci-fi RPG, saying the issue isn't the technology but that Starfield developers "are just doing something different with their time."

Diablo 4's season 2 patch fixes almost every problem I've had with it since launch
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4s-season-2-patch-fixes-almost-every-problem-ive-had-with-it-since-launch/
There are 51 quality of life changes in the Diablo 4 season 2 patch notes that address some of the action RPG's most glaring issues. Major parts of the game, like leveling speed, mounts, and dungeon layouts have been so dramatically changed that you could almost call this update Diablo 4 2.0—a dramatic overhaul for a game that's just four months old.

Nothing will go wrong with all these new vampire powers in Diablo 4 season 2
https://www.pcgamer.com/nothing-will-go-wrong-with-all-these-vampire-powers-in-diablo-4-season-2/
In Diablo 4's second season, the Season of Blood, you're totally not a vampire, but you sure can use their powers.
Starting on October 17, you can make a new seasonal character (sorry, it's required) and use Vampiric Powers to alter your skills. Like season 1's Malignant Hearts, Vampiric Powers transform how each class usually works. There are powers that make every skill heal you, give you a powerful bat minion, and cause your attacks to deal 80% of your Maximum Life to every enemy around you.
>> It's the Season of Blood, but you could also call it the Season of Horse.

Here's when Forza Motorsport unlocks in your time zone
https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-motorsport-launch-unlock-time-early-access-premium/
Forza Motorsport represents a fresh start for the racing series on PC, and it feels outstanding: while our review criticizes the career mode for playing it safe, it also praises the vehicle handling and "newfound sense of weight to FM's cars."
(...)
On Steam, Forza Motorsport will unlock globally at 12:01 am ET on October 5 for Premium Edition and Premium Add-Ons Bundle owners. It will unlock globally at 12:01 am ET on October 10 for everyone else. Here's how that breaks down across time zones:

The voice of Baldur's Gate 3's Astarion was asked to tone down the horny for his final romance scene: 'ONLY SLIGHTLY, NEIL'
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-voice-of-baldurs-gate-3s-astarion-was-asked-to-tone-down-the-horny-for-his-final-romance-scene-only-slightly-neil/
A recent datamine of Baldur's Gate 3's absurdly huge wealth of voice lines continues to deliver. Not just in helping us uncover dark, dark futures regarding Scratch—it's also given us a peek behind the curtain at the game's development.
As spotted by Team_Purple on the Baldur's Gate 3 subreddit (thanks Gamesradar), Astarion's final romance scene has a hilarious dev note—presumably from a writer who knows the fabulous stylings of Neil Newbon a little too well.

Diablo 4 rendered unplayable as Blizzard struggles with Battle.net login woes
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-rendered-unplayable-as-blizzard-struggles-with-battlenet-login-woes/
Battle.net, Blizzard's own PC game launcher and storefront, and your only port of call (for now) to play games like Diablo 4, World of Warcraft, and other Blizzard games, is having technical issues. A tweet from the Blizzard CS EU account from earlier this morning says the company is "currently investigating an issue" affecting its authentication servers, which might cause "failed or slow login attempts" for users.

Phantom Liberty has three original Idris Elba tracks as well as a full DJ set
https://www.pcgamer.com/phantom-liberty-has-three-original-idris-elba-tracks-as-well-as-a-full-dj-set/
It may surprise you to know that Idris Elba has musical collaborations with Taylor Swift, Wiley and Paul McCartney under his belt, and now we can add to that his contributions to Phantom Liberty: a 3 track EP (The Phantom Files) and full DJ set. Elba's acting career may overshadow his musical output, but he does have an extensive back catalogue of songs as well as a seriously impressive list of collaborators.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Chazore said:

I actually have the opposite experience. GFE always tells me my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements and puts everything to Low or will just straight up tell me it can't read the game, so it can't recommend any settings lol. What a useless POS. 

It is highly amusing though how the Nvidia control panel still looks like it launched with Windows XP lol

Chazore said:

Yea it feels like GFE is made by underpaid highschool interns. It makes no sense why it's so shitty. The best thing Nvidia ever did is make that garbage optional during the installation process which is sad.

Like I don't even need GFE to be super accurate, I would like it to be some what accurate but instead, the optimizations it recommends can not only be wonky but when you apply it through GFE, it doesn't even apply them correctly from time to time.

Maybe Nvidia should come out with an Ai that can give tell them how to make that shat better cause boy, it has been terrible for over a decade.

Don't tempt them. Nvidia is already balls deep in AI than most tech companies already I have no doubt they're doing exactly that though considering GFE is such a core feature they include with their GPU lineup since they prompt you if you want to install the software when just installing a driver lol. Despite being optional, they still have that combo be the default selection. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Chazore said:

I actually have the opposite experience. GFE always tells me my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements and puts everything to Low or will just straight up tell me it can't read the game, so it can't recommend any settings lol. What a useless POS. 

It is highly amusing though how the Nvidia control panel still looks like it launched with Windows XP lol

Windows XP? More like Windows 95! It still looks the way it looked when I had my Riva TNT in my Pentium III