By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Well if devs chose the engine. I'd argue it's still on the devs. But visually the game can be striking at times and there is zero stutter. Like if you play a game like Jedi Survivor and this game back to back, Starfield will feel worlds better.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

Terribly optimized or do we need for nVidia to catch up with it's drivers?

Being an AMD title, I am sure AMD has been baking it's drivers for this game a lot longer than nVidia.

Plus, being a Bethesda game running on a variant of NetImmerse turned Gamebryo turned Creation engine... They tend to be extremely heavy on CPU/System memory latency side of the equation due to the reliance of heavy scripting.

You add in nVidia's heavier CPU overhead with it's drivers and nVidia GPU's should come up short.

Wait, they're still on the creation engine??? No wonder it runs and looks like shit.

Bethesda should write a pure benchmarking program in the Creation Engine that can make good use of 20+ threads. They'd have the ultimate CPU benchmark at hand with that.

Creation Engine 2.

It's still an evolution/refinement of NetImmerse from 1997.

Chazore said:

btw the amount of code needed for each new iteration of the creation engine, to keep it from falling apart is insane, and another reason why they should just roll with a new engine going forward, instead of just piling on the code until one day, it completely breaks down or refuses to do something other games can do with ease (like how creation engine really has big issues with rendering from distances further than 4 houses from the player's pov, and worse LoD's and that still has not improved since the old days). 

Using older and refined game engines is actually common industry practice.

For example the latest Call of Duty engine has code snippets from Quakes engine, they make yearly improvements/refinement.

Even Frostbite and Unreal do the same thing, hence why UE5 has a ton of backwards compatibility with UE4.

All comes down to developer competency in the end.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Using older and refined game engines is actually common industry practice.

For example the latest Call of Duty engine has code snippets from Quakes engine, they make yearly improvements/refinement.

Even Frostbite and Unreal do the same thing, hence why UE5 has a ton of backwards compatibility with UE4.

All comes down to developer competency in the end.

Good thing you've got an all or nothing guy here.

If that's water tight, let's see them use the same engines for 100-200 more years.

https://youtu.be/sgNyDjjDCD4?t=28

Last edited by Chazore - on 02 September 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

This is without a doubt one of the craziest implementations of detachable controller as the joystick can transform into a "mouse" when detached. Considering it costs $700, I might bite. You really have to watch the video to see what I am talking about.

That "mouse" doesn't look very ergonomic to me. The analog stick and the face buttons seem to be in the way and the mouse buttons are very small. Just use a fricking normal mouse of your choice in docked mode!

Nice gimmick for kickstand mode, all you need is in the case... but I never liked the kickstand modes of handhelds, the small display is too far away.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Considering the image quality I saw in the video, it's absolutely terribly optimized, period - it's just even worse on NVidia GPUs.

Gamers Nexus did a comparison with multiple GPU's from AMD/Nvidia

Not sure if the results were CPU bound (12700KF was used) but Nvidia GPU's clearly a little behind in this game.

Around the Network

September 1st and prior progress

Final Fantasy VI (Steam/PC) - Lv 17 at 10 hours in. Finally got a hold of Summons/Espers, progression going through quick. Just got past one of the best iconic moments in FFVI.

Street Fighter V (Steam/PC) - just finished Street Fighter IV portion of the Arcade. Started on SFV's arcade portion. 2 characters out of 45 played at 27 hours.

Borderlands GOTY Enhanced (Steam/PC) - finally finished the Arid Badlands, did a few missions in Dahl Headlands, I can go to the next area but I'm going to finish all the missions. Lv 22 Support Soldier at 17 hours

Since DF is taking their sweet ass time, here is HUBs optimization guide. It is amusing how so many people were claiming that FSR would kill DLSS back in the day just because FSR is open and works on every GPU while DLSS is closed and works only on RTX gpus. Fast forward to today where even on AMDs highest sponsored title that was optimized by Radeon enginners, the recommendation from reviewers is to turn FSR 2 off cause it looks bad and has tons of artifacting. Really goes to show that if a technology is garbage, it doesn't matter if it's open and works on every GPU, people will simply not use it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

BasilZero said:

September 1st and prior progress

Borderlands GOTY Enhanced (Steam/PC) - finally finished the Arid Badlands, did a few missions in Dahl Headlands, I can go to the next area but I'm going to finish all the missions. Lv 22 Support Soldier at 17 hours

You are were still at Arid Badlands? You're taking your sweet time. I hope you visit every location that there is.

In my case, I finished XCOM 2, toyed a bit with a couple of MegaDrive/Genesis games (nothing too serious, just to waste some time), started and finished "Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans" playing as Bud Spencer, I'll go back some time to beat it as Terence Hill, and now I'm halfway through Rocketbirds 2 Evolution.

For some reason I'm not in the mood for long games, that's why I'm going with short ones.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Since DF is taking their sweet ass time, here is HUBs optimization guide. It is amusing how so many people were claiming that FSR would kill DLSS back in the day just because FSR is open and works on every GPU while DLSS is closed and works only on RTX gpus. Fast forward to today where even on AMDs highest sponsored title that was optimized by Radeon enginners, the recommendation from reviewers is to turn FSR 2 off cause it looks bad and has tons of artifacting. Really goes to show that if a technology is garbage, it doesn't matter if it's open and works on every GPU, people will simply not use it.

The one thing I am really not on board with, is the guy who made the DLSS mod is charging access to it via his patreon, and you need to be constantly subbed to that to retain access to future updates for it.

Paid modding gets a hell naw from me, just like it did back when Todd tried to get Valve to roll with it back in the day. Tip jars are fine and still serviceable to this day.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

The one thing I am really not on board with, is the guy who made the DLSS mod is charging access to it via his patreon, and you need to be constantly subbed to that to retain access to future updates for it.

Paid modding gets a hell naw from me, just like it did back when Todd tried to get Valve to roll with it back in the day. Tip jars are fine and still serviceable to this day.

Yea agreed. That guy did release a free version but that only has DLSS 2/XeSS. DLSS 3 is still locked behind patreon and due to how CPU limited Starfield is, DLSS 3 would make the biggest difference. What's funny is because Starfield doesn't have any DRM, pirate sites have DLSS modded in too but even those are locked behind patreon lul, just from the person that made the pirated version available and not from the creator of the mod. So even piraters are getting in on that nonsense.