By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

It will be interesting to see how the loading times are as this should elevate some of the myths about the Playstation 5 vs PC IO/SSD speeds. Still I can already hear the salts flowing on many sites.

Especially if the needed data is still in the 32 GB / 64 GB / ... GB RAM

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD confirms Ryzen CPUs for AM5 socket will indeed ship with TDP up to 170W

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-ryzen-cpus-for-am5-socket-will-indeed-ship-with-tdp-up-to-170w

"AMD would like to issue a correction to the socket power and TDP limits of the upcoming AMD Socket AM5. AMD Socket AM5 supports up to a 170W TDP with a PPT up to 230W. "

"The new 230W socket power will be almost as high as Intel’s LGA1200-based Core i9-12900K which has 241W PL2/Maximum Turbo Power. One should note that this 170W TDP value was already mentioned by MSI, even though AMD until now did not confirm that this is TDP. Meanwhile, AMD’s own slides only mentioned ‘native support for up to 170W’."

Looks like the wattage memes won't be exclusive to Intel anymore... One thing to note however is that 5000X series did not include an iGPU while the 7000 series does so naturally, it would sip more power. But of course, so did Intel CPUs when we memed them.

The igp plays a role into the increased power consumption, that's for sure, and I'm sure it's a big part. But those high clocks don't come for free...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

Microsoft Flight Sim's Top Gun tie-in teaches you how to fly like a skillful maniac
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/microsoft-flight-sims-top-gun-tie-in-teaches-you-how-to-fly-like-a-skillful-maniac/
Microsoft Flight Simulator is brilliant for a lot of reasons, but for me, it's pretty much just an opportunity to take leisure cruises through parts of the world I've always wanted to visit. With a new Top Gun: Maverick expansion released today, we're now invited to perform ridiculous, high-skill manoeuvres in a specially decked-out F/A-18E Super Hornet, thus eliminating every trace of "chill" this game normally offers.

The Maverick challenges are superfun!

Average altitude less than two feet

As somneone used to play Ace COmbat, it looks like you could go far lower most of the times if you slowed a bit.

ALso, and this is something that's bother ing me more than it should, why the f*ck is it in feet?!

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

GAMING NEWS

PS5-exclusive Returnal appears on Steam database, codenamed “Oregon”
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ps5-exclusive-returnal-appears-on-steam-database-codenamed-oregon/
It appears that the PS5-exclusive game, Returnal, will be also coming to PC. This roguelike third-person shooter has appeared on Steam’s database with the codename “Oregon”.
>> As I said above, expect a lot more PS titles on Steam/PC.

It will be interesting to see how the loading times are as this should elevate some of the myths about the Playstation 5 vs PC IO/SSD speeds. Still I can already hear the salts flowing on many sites.

Live service games aren't easy to pull out, just ask Square Enix. So yeah, I expect a lot more titles coming to PC and a lot more salty people about it.

Given its success and that a sequel is in the works, it wouldn't surprise me if Spiderman makes the jump, and that would put a lot of people in a bad mood.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD confirms Ryzen CPUs for AM5 socket will indeed ship with TDP up to 170W

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-ryzen-cpus-for-am5-socket-will-indeed-ship-with-tdp-up-to-170w

"AMD would like to issue a correction to the socket power and TDP limits of the upcoming AMD Socket AM5. AMD Socket AM5 supports up to a 170W TDP with a PPT up to 230W. "

"The new 230W socket power will be almost as high as Intel’s LGA1200-based Core i9-12900K which has 241W PL2/Maximum Turbo Power. One should note that this 170W TDP value was already mentioned by MSI, even though AMD until now did not confirm that this is TDP. Meanwhile, AMD’s own slides only mentioned ‘native support for up to 170W’."

Looks like the wattage memes won't be exclusive to Intel anymore... One thing to note however is that 5000X series did not include an iGPU while the 7000 series does so naturally, it would sip more power. But of course, so did Intel CPUs when we memed them.

The igp plays a role into the increased power consumption, that's for sure, and I'm sure it's a big part. But those high clocks don't come for free...

I actually think it has to do with the fact that AMD CPUs with a TDP of 105W tend to pull quite a bit more than that at full load, generally 130-140W. Meanwhile, Threadripper CPUs actually don't exceed the 280W they're rated for. I think what AMD is doing is making the TDP more honest and like the real power draw, as they do on the Threadripper series.

Of course, the higher clock speeds and integrated graphics also make for the number to be higher than it would have been with the previous generations, where 140W would have been a truly honest TDP.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

I actually think it has to do with the fact that AMD CPUs with a TDP of 105W tend to pull quite a bit more than that at full load, generally 130-140W. Meanwhile, Threadripper CPUs actually don't exceed the 280W they're rated for. I think what AMD is doing is making the TDP more honest and like the real power draw, as they do on the Threadripper series.

Of course, the higher clock speeds and integrated graphics also make for the number to be higher than it would have been with the previous generations, where 140W would have been a truly honest TDP.

I wish you're right and that AMD is moving in a more honest direction, but we'll see.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

And Pemalite, I don't know iwhat would AMD get from going back to a previous design model. Wouldn't it be easier to do as Nvidia and add some compute cores (Tensor cores) like they're already doing iwth the RT ones?
The enterprise cards based on CDNA could probably benefit the most from going with a more compute capable architecture design.

I think "regressing" the design to a previous model is the wrong way to look at it, so I could have worded things a little better.

VLIW or "Very long Instruction Word" tends to be very compiler heavy, think of it as sort of like "Hyper Threading" in a way, if you can keep all those threads fed and busy (Hence why it's compiler heavy), then you can obtain some very impressive throughput.

AMD went from VLIW5 to VLIW4 (5 threads per pipeline to 4) with the move from the Radeon 5800 to 6900 because they saw a change in how games were being rendered and one of those threads was often being under utilized.
Eventually GCN would abandon it completely.

However the way it works is that each thread tends to work on a specific type of workload.

So on a VLIW5 cluster you could have one thread that is optimized for special functions that is also the only one able to handle integer multiply's.
And the others would work on simpler integer operations.

VLIW is very effective at extracting parallelism without increasing core complexity significantly.

What AMD might be trying to accomplish (Again, if the rumors in my enthusiast circles pan-out) is AMD may try to build it's RDNA cores to be a little more flexible so that each core might be capable of handling two workloads.
Think: Rasterization+Ray Tracing in tandem. Or Rasterization+Tensor operations. - Which means as we scale in core counts, so does the performance of those aspects.

Of course this is all rumor at this stage.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

7700XT should be roughly inline with the 6800XT I would imagine... So not a catastrophic leap over the current Series X/Playstation 5 unless they chase clockrates.

The big boon will of course be in Ray Tracing... And maintaining higher framerates/resolutions where the current gen consoles struggle.

Expectations are 6900XT-like performance. And probably also needed to keep up with NVidia.

Pemalite said:

Also along the PC enthusiast rumor mill (Grain of salt) is that AMD will be regressing back to their VLIW paradigm with RDNA3 that they defined with the Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000/5000/6000 series. But it will be more along the lines of VLIW2 rather than VLIW5 or VLIW4... And that would make these parts extremely compelling from a compute standpoint.

I think that's for CDNA, not RDNA. Those would definitely profit more from an increased compute performance than RDNA cards.

Possibly. But keep in mind that Ray Tracing is a very compute demanding operation.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I wish you're right and that AMD is moving in a more honest direction, but we'll see.

It will be good for the entire industry if they do.

Still though, if Ryzen 7000 has better idle power consumption, then total power consumption will drop anyway... As a PC typically spends most of it's time at idle.

I am okay with 200w+ TDP's provided I get the performance to go with it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I understand that an architecture more capable at computing would bring improvements to not only RT, but also FSR and probably other tasks, improvements that AMD would be more than happy to have, but I think that an architecture change so big is something that would prompt AMD to change the family name of their cards.

Simply put, I doubt a change so big can happen with RDNA3, but with something with a new codename.

AMD Answers Our Zen 4 Tech Questions, with Robert Hallock 11 AMD Answers Our Zen 4 Tech Questions, with Robert Hallock

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-4-ryzen-7000-technical-details/

I am going to post a few of the interesting Q/A but there's a lot if you want to read through it:

16-core, 32-thread is the maximum core configuration for the Ryzen 7000 at launch?
That is correct.

At Computex, you showed a 15% single-thread performance gain over the Ryzen 9 5950X. Wouldn't that only put the gaming performance on par with 5800X3D?
I think it's too early to say actually. We were deliberately conservative with our number on single-thread performance. We do intend to publish the exact breakdown of IPC vs. frequency contribution later in the summer, also including performance, power, and area on the new process

What are your thoughts on 3D Vertical Cache (3DV Cache) for Zen 4?
3DV Cache will absolutely be a continuing part of our roadmap.

Your presentation mentioned "AI acceleration." Is that AVX-512 or something more exotic, like Intel GNA?
Yes. Specifically, AVX 512 VNNI for neural networking and AVX 512 BLOAT16 for inferencing.

Is integrated graphics standard on most SKUs?
IGP is standard. It's included on all 6 nanometer IO dies, which has a small number of compute units built in, specifically to enable video encode & decode and multiple display outputs.

Does the IGP support AV1 decode?
Yes

What can we expect from the processors in terms of CPU overclocking?
I'm not gonna make a commitment yet on frequency, but what I will say is that 5.5 GHz was very easy for us.

How do you feel about the transition from DDR4 to DDR5?
AMD is betting on DDR5, there's no DDR4 support in Zen 4.

There's a bit of confusion about the CPU's PCIe 5.0 configuration. We've seen 24 and 28 lanes mentioned. Could you clarify?
There are 28 total lanes from the CPU, all Gen 5, of which 4 are peeled off for downlink to the chipset and the remaining 24 are available to the user. On X670 Extreme that means graphics operates at x16 Gen 5 or x8/x8 Gen 5, and there's one M.2 NVMe x4 Gen 5. On the X670 (non-Extreme) only the M.2 NVMe slot is required to be Gen 5, the top slot for graphics will optionally be Gen 5. On B650, only M.2 storage will be Gen 5. Of course, other components, like companion controllers or additional NVMe devices, can connect to Gen 5 on the CPU.

Is the X670E chipset fanless?
It's fanless.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It's the Friday news!

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

Fanatical has two new deals:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

-Empty-

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

This Mod for The Witcher 3 adds a fully automatic quest tracker
https://www.dsogaming.com/mods/this-mod-for-the-witcher-3-adds-a-fully-automatic-quest-tracker/
K1ngTr4cker has released a simple yet cool mod for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As the title suggests, this mod adds a fully automatic regional quest tracker using the game’s built-in Mod Menu.
The mod offers complete and total quest tracking of all quests and random events in the game.

How to get the most out of the classic Fallout games today
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-the-classic-fallout-games-today/
If you came to Fallout via Bethesda's games, with their fully voiced NPCs, real-time combat, and switching between first-person and third-person cameras, you might think Fallout 1 and 2 look intimidatingly old school. And while they are 1990s RPGs with lots of text, turn-based combat, and a top-down camera that refuses to zoom in on the wasteland like it's afraid of what the place smells like, they're still enjoyable to play today.
The original, released as Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game, remains a high-water mark for cRPGs thanks to its juxtaposition of Mad Max and Atomic Age sci-fi, the number of approaches and problem-solving styles it encouraged, and strong replayability. If you're short on time, it's worth knowing it can be wrapped up in a neat 20something hours too.
Fallout 2 is a bigger world, and with that comes a little less coherence—though it retains the freedom and clever quest design of the original. Fallout Tactics, a strategy-focused spin-off, is the only one of the classics not really worth bothering with today. The others remain fascinating both for how they show a genre evolving, and for just how much they let you get away with.
>> The article contains not just the links to the mods, but also instructions to install them.

GAMING NEWS

New screenshots surface for the upcoming horror game, The Callisto Protocol
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/new-screenshots-surface-for-the-upcoming-horror-game-the-callisto-protocol/
A new set of screenshots have surfaced – via GameInformer – for the upcoming horror game, The Callisto Protocol. These low quality (but in-game) screenshots can give you a glimpse at what you can expect from this highly anticipated game.
>> And the game is no longer linked to PUBG.

Here is a brand new screenshot for Outcast 2 – A New Beginning
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/here-is-a-brand-new-screenshot-for-outcast-2-a-new-beginning/
Appeal Studios has released a brand new screenshot for Outcast 2 – A New Beginning. From what we can see, this is an in-engine screenshot. As such, it will give you a glimpse at what the game can look like.