By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Also, is the Evil Within a good game or not ? ^^

Around the Network

That's good to know

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Also, is the Evil Within a good game or not ? ^^

No idea, I don't have it yet lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:

So from all reports The Evil Within doesn't even use 4GB of VRAM. And runs fine at 60FPS...

It's build with idTech5, right?

And visually it's not very demanding, so it's not that surprising that it runs well on "regular" PCs and doesn't need the nonsense specs they listed to run it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
zarx said:

So from all reports The Evil Within doesn't even use 4GB of VRAM. And runs fine at 60FPS...

It's build with idTech5, right?

And visually it's not very demanding, so it's not that surprising that it runs well on "regular" PCs and doesn't need the nonsense specs they listed to run it.

Well runs fine as in it doesn't actually even use 2GB of VRAM, and doesn't flake out and have any major issues in 60FPS (some 30fps locked PC ports have weird shit like animations running at double speed etc when the framerate is upped). It actually runs like shit for what it is

at least in certain parts like when you are outdoors with a lot of alpha effects like rain or fire. Aparently in smaller areas it runs fine tho. It's also aparently poorly threaded

Which makes requiring an i7 even more stupid

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

^So what we have here is another case of a publishers trying to fool users with the "high system requirements = better game" trick.

Lame.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Riot rework League of Legends' "severely abused" refer-a-friend system to fight botting

Comments1

Riot have been running a refer-a-friend scheme in one form or another since League of Legends launched half a decade ago. The current system rewards players who introduce others to the MOBA with new skins - but will soon be revamped to tackle a growing problem with botting and account selling.

“Ordinarily we might tolerate low levels of fringe misuse if it meant we were still doing right by the vast majority of players,” wrote Riot. “However, RAF abuse was increasingly degrading the average players’ experience, forcing us to contemplate changes.”

Read and Comment

Nobody is buying Unity: "it is best for us to be an independent company"

Comments2

Whispers began circulating over the weekend that Unity was looking for a buyer, and had begun pitching its popular game engine to the likes of Google. As the rumours threatened to cage the company in a great, suffocating speculattice, its co-founder was forced to head to the Unity forums and clear the air.

“Sometimes when we talk to our partners, discussions turn to talk of acquisition,” said CTO Joachim Ante. “Our response has always been that for Unity it is best to be an independent company.”

Read and Comment

Warlords of Draenor group finder will allow WoW players to "actually meet new people"

Comment

Blizzard have decided that WoW’s dungeon finder is perhaps a little too efficient. The grouping tool pulls strangers together for five-man dungeons, and fires them off on their separate ways immediately afterwards. No time lost - but all too often, no friends gained either.

“The pre-made group finder we’re introducing in Warlords of Draenor is very much trying to take a step back in the direction of World of Warcraft being a place where you can actually meet new people,” said lead designer Ion Hazzikostas.

“It’s about creating a world where players can find like-minded others to adventure with, but also a way you can talk to them.”

Read and Comment

Wasteland 2 patch offers low-spec PC users a "large amount" of memory optimisations

Comment

The second post-release patch for InXile's Black Islish opus, Wasteland 2, went live on Steam yesterday afternoon. It'll appear shortly on GOG, Origin and something called Glyph, if it hasn’t already.

Like one of those non-canon blimps they had floating about Fallout Tactics, the patch is a biggie. It begins with improved performance for lower-spec systems, takes in a bunch of fixes to California’s questlines, and winds up in a pile of extra hints and tips to be shown during loading screens.

Read and Comment

Skywind trailer beautifies some of the Elder Scrolls' oddest-ever environments

Comments1

The western highlands of Vvardenfell are known as the West Gash. It’s a matter of Elder Scrolls lore, and the sooner we get over that fact, the sooner we can talk about their reimagining in Skywind. Okay? Okay.

It’s a source of administrative aggravation that we can’t yet add Skywind to our list of the 100 Best Skyrim Mods, because it isn’t finished. But the latest alpha footage shows that a familiar landscape is beginning to emerge.

Read and Comment

Hands on with Assetto Corsa, a racing simulator made using lasers

Comments1

Full disclosure: the people who make Assetto Corsa put me in a race car and let me drive around a race track at a million miles per hour, simultaneously burning both rubber and the paper-thin veneer of journalistic ethics that prohibits having any fun on press trips.

The idea was that by driving around the Autodromo di Vallelunga in real life I could fully appreciate just how accurately the developer had simulated the track in Assetto Corsa. In practice I was too busy concentrating on not flipping the car over and murdering everybody in a giant fireball to take any notes.

Largely speaking however, all of the corners appeared to be in the right places. So well done.

Read and Comment

Rebel Galaxy is an outlaw space adventure with big ol' capital ships from ex-Torchlight devs

Comments5

When Runic Games’ co-founders, Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer left the Torchlight studio and set up Double Damage Games earlier this year, they had yet to announce their first project. However, given their past, developing Fate, Diablo and Torchlight, it wouldn’t have been bonkers to expect them to make another ARPG. 

Rebel Galaxy is not an ARPG. It’s a Firefly, outlaw and ‘70s sci-fi inspired space adventure. 

Read and Comment

Crusader Kings 2 gets fatter with the Charlemagne expansion today

Comment

At some point in the not so distant future, Crusader Kings II will have grown so large that it simply becomes our primary reality. That’s great if you’ve always wanted to kill a family member and grab their title, or manipulate the nobles of Europe into declaring a religious war on the Welsh. It’s not so great if you like cars, computers and not dying at 30, though. 

Today sees the grand strategy game get closer to that horrifying end point with the launch of the meaty Charlemagne expansion and the 2.2 patch. 

Read and Comment

The Flame in the Flood Kickstarter sails past its initial goal; stretch goals go up to $400k

Comments1

The Flame in the Flood, the procedurally generated rafting misadventure being developed by ex-BioShock, Halo and Guitar Hero devs swam past its initial Kickstarter goal today, only a week after its inception

Now that the $150,000 has been pledged, The Molasses Flood is now looking at stretch goals, from $175k to $400k, and the first five have already been revealed. 

Read and Comment

Dragon Age: Inquisition trailer piles on the pressure

Comments4

Am I going to keep posting Dragon Age: Inquisition streams and trailers every day until it launches next month? Well, that really depends on whether or not new ones keep appearing. And wouldn’t you know - a new one did appear today. 

Take a gander at the Inquisitor being all important and heroic below. 

Read and Comment

The Humble Mozilla Bundle says cheerio to OS restrictions and game managers

Comment

The latest Humble Bundle has taken the leap to becoming free from the shackles of anything but your browser. Each of the nine games in the Humble Mozilla Bundle can be downloaded and run from a browser.

No Steam, Desura, installers or Mac, Linux and PC versions - Firefox or Chrome are all that’s required. 

Read and Comment

World of Warcraft given subscriber reprieve ahead of Warlords of Draenor; up to 7.4 million players

Comment

Blizzard’s next World of Warcraft expansion is less than a month away; you can almost feel the increasing anticipation from the millions of players: 7.4 million players to be exact. Over 600,000 new subscribers are back in Azeroth, ready to take on the Iron Horde this November, according to the latest investors call.

Also the current expansion, Mists of Pandaria, is now included with the base World of Warcraft game, along with all the expansions before it.

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Skyforge – New Developer Diary Focuses On “Orders of Aelion”

My.com has released a developer diary video providing a look into the immortal dwellers of Aelion and their own personal orders in Obsidian Entertainment and Allods Team’s upcoming fantasy MMORPG, Skyforge. In this developer diary Alexander Mishulin, Creative Director, The Allods Team, and Eric DeMilt, Creative Director, Obsidian Entertainment, will guide you through what the Orders of Aelion are, how to deal with your adepts and why you need to have a handful of believers in the first place. Enjoy! Continue reading

Unreal Engine 4.5 Is Now Out, Ray Traced Distance Field Shadows Showcased

Epic Games has announced that the latest version (4.5) of Unreal Engine 4 is now available. Unreal Engine 4.5 includes eagerly-awaited features such as animation retargeting, automatic C++ hot reload, light map UV generation and streaming video textures. In addition, this new version of Epic’s engine supports real-time ray traced soft shadows and screen-space subsurface scattering. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

CGI-Quality said:

Fire Strike Ultra (Is Your PC ready for 4K Gaming?)

http://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/fire-strike-ultra-worlds-first-4k-ultra-hd-benchmark

I've done this - let me tell ya, if you don't have at least a Titan (or a card with at least 3GB of Dedicated RAM), don't bother!

My RESULTS page

I see you have the demo running at 1 screenshot per second, impressive.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Ubisoft on the "no respawn rule" for Rainbow Six Siege: "we wanted to revive that lethality and tension"

Comments1

Rainbow Six has always been known for its tendency to create tense situations. Ubisoft are keen to capture that same experience, which is why they’ve stuck with their “no respawn rule" for their upcoming addition to the franchise: Rainbow Six Siege.

In their regular “behind the walls” blog series, Ubisoft developers have explained why it’s important to go back to the roots of Rainbow Six. “When you go back to Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six, you go back to one of the first tactical shooters” said game designer Andrew Witts. ”Seeing what makes it tick, deconstructing it and then reassembling it for the current generation. Being a part of that is really cool as a fan of the previous games”

Read and Comment

Planetside 2 to receive deployable automated turrets; "the lethality of these turrets is still being discussed"

Comments3

Systems and UI design lead, Jon Weathers, has revealed plans to add an automated deployable sentry turret for the Engineer class in Planetside 2. The addition could come as soon as next month, but not until extensive playtesting has been held on the PTS server.

“If our tests go well, we are aiming for auto-turrets to go live late November/early December.” said Weathers.

Read and Comment

Ultra Street Fighter IV netcode patch lands today amongst balance changes

Comment

An update to Ultra Street Fighter IV will see the culmination of a two month long collaboration with the games community to stamp down on netcode issues. Patch 1.03 will include fixes to how Endless Battle lobbies work in order to reduce the amount of network pings, and hopefully lag. As well as the netcode band-aid, there’s some new training options as well as balance updates to most of the fighters.

Read and Comment

Civilization: Beyond Earth intro cinematic is as beautiful as you'd expect

Comment

The official intro cinematic for the next installment in Sid Meier’s turn-based wonder, Civilization: Beyond Earth, has just been released for the masses to see. The Civilization games have always had a knack in giving us some spectacular cinematic eye-candy, and Beyond Earth is nothing less.

Read and Comment

GOG's giving away Aliens vs Predator Classic to Galaxy beta testers

Comment

Alien: Isolation is the most authentic Alien experience you can have beyond watching the film. But if you’re looking for some xenomorph action that has less crawling around on all fours crying to yourself and more shooting and a lot more aliens, then perhaps Aliens vs Predator would be more your speed? 

The classic from Rebellion is free on GOG right now, if you sign up for the next round of Galaxy beta testing. But you’ll need to sign up within the next 48 hours. 

Read and Comment

Halo is kind of coming to PC again with Halo: Spartan Strike

Comments1

Microsoft and 343 Industries have announced a new Halo game, and it’s not going to be shackled to Xbox One, indeed it’s not coming out on the console at all. Halo Spartan Strike is a twin-stick shooter and spiritual successor to Spartan Assault.

It’s due out on December 12th, and if you buy it for any device, be that your desktop or a tablet, you’ll unlock the game for all windows platforms - which is quite nice. 

Read and Comment

League of Legend’s Halloween content isn’t in-game

Comment

We’re half-way through October, so everyone’s on guard for their favourite gaming communities to throw a sheet over their head and start shrieking “BOO!” very soon. Whilst many games have already geared up their Halloween events already, League of Legends is taking a different approach. To win the big prize this year, you’ll need to be handy with a real knife, rather than your Q key. 

Yup, this year Riot are handing out massive RP prizes to summoners who can carve the best LoL-themed pumpkin. 

Read and Comment

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell is coming sooner than you thought, armed with the seven deadly sins

Comment

Johnny Gat is on a mission, and that’s to get on your hard drive as soon as possible. Deep Silver have announced that the standalone expansion to Saints Row 4 will be released a week earlier than planned, hitting our shores on January 23rd.

Bundled along with the news is this assuredly bonkers trailer showing off seven new weapons, all influenced by the deadly sins. 

Read and Comment

Octodad catches new levels and co-op in latest patch

Comment

Despite being one of the most bizarre niche games of the year, Octodad: Dadliest Catch seems to have happily secured itself quite a following. Developer Young Horses has been nothing but supportive of their game, regularly throwing out updates. This weeks patch is quite a net-full: two new levels and support for co-op, as well as the expected fixes. 

Read and Comment

World of Warcraft's handsome new character models in action

Comment

The pre-Warlords of Draenor patch hit World of Warcraft today, bringing with it new dungeons, graphics options and big changes to classes and races. But one of the most immediately noticeable changes is to the character models. 

I jumped in after a wee break to take a gander at how lovely everybody looks. Join me. 

Read and Comment

Battlefield 4: Final Stand now available on Community Test Environment

Comment

Online warriors who are part of the Battlefield Premium program can now take to a slightly more futuristic war zone than they’ve been used to for the last year. Battlefield 4’s next DLC pack - Final Stand - is fast approaching, and a beta version is now available to play on the Community Test Environment. 

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter