By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

hinch said:

The worst thing for BFA was RNG loot. RNG loot (stats and pieces) for mythic chests and/or corruption gear. They need to fix that shit in Shadowlands.

Don't forget the stupid RNG powers that come with said loot, like the corrupted gear. Thank fuck they are doing away with that crap. We're prob going to get Anima powered gear with likely RNG powers for those pieces too. I just don't like how insanely heavy Blizz are into RNG based mechanics. My Warlock has some spells which basically fall under RNG dmg, which is really shit for roll checks for raids. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

DF has released their Series X Hot Chips breakdown video! Skip to 12:20 for RDNA 2 section!

And....

I am not feeling RDNA 2 boys.

"What's the difference between RDNA 2 and RDNA 1? Looking at the Dual Compute Setup, other than Ray Tracing support, this is essentially RDNA as it's presented in the 5700 range. Microsoft talks about the CUs having a 25% performance improvement per clock vs last gen but when they say last gen, they are talking about Xbox One X and not RDNA 1"

"Ray Tracing measurements between Nvidia's Turing and Series X are not comparable as they are measured differently." "Minecraft RTX demo on Series X showed it can run between 30-60fps so hard to tell where Ray Tracing performance is."

"Shitz gonna be expensive"

Sounds like it's gonna be expensive and not that great at the same time. Doesn't bode well tbh. Guess I will be sticking with Green team for another round if this keeps up. 

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think the main thing that Turing did is iron out the kinks for next generation.

DLSS 1.0... Yikes

DLSS 2.0... Hot Damn

DLSS 3.0 is gonna be...

But yea, Ray Tracing and Turing is gonna age like Milk. I really do hope we see more Path Tracing but we know there's gonna be a cost to make that run even on Ampere and that cost will be our wallets.

I like to call it early adopter tax - ala like beta testing. Okay its a bit harsh calling it that lol.

Yeah I would like to see more Path Tracing. That can make an average game look amazing. Even for games like Quake II and Minecraft the results are staggering.

It really does give a massive difference in visual fidelity and opens up other opportunities in gameplay.

Captain_Yuri said:

DF has released their Series X Hot Chips breakdown video! Skip to 12:20 for RDNA 2 section!

[video]

And....

"What's the difference between RDNA 2 and RDNA 1? Looking at the Dual Compute Setup, other than Ray Tracing support, this is essentially RDNA as it's presented in the 5700 range. Microsoft talks about the CUs having a 25% performance improvement per clock vs last gen but when they say last gen, they are talking about Xbox One X and not RDNA 1"

"Ray Tracing measurements between Nvidia's Turing and Series X are not comparable as they are measured differently." "Minecraft RTX demo on Series X showed it can run between 30-60fps so hard to tell where Ray Tracing performance is."

Yeah, its AMD's first attempt with RT and still no real competition for the machine learning of Nvidia (DLSS) - still not convinced that Direct ML can give similar results to latter. And still lagging years behind Nvidia. RDNA 2 might have been competitive last year but with Ampere coming its going get steamrolled.

Big die, will run hot and probably very expensive. Unless they price it much lower (can't see it happening) it looks to be just a slightly better Turing in compute and maybe worse performing in RT. Hope I'm wrong but eh we'll see.

Yea we will see how it goes but I am starting to believe those rumours about Big Navi being 3070/3070 Ti performance.

The one thing to remember is that RDNA 2 does now have full support for Direct X 12 Ultimate while RDNA 1 doesn't. So it should perform better than RDNA 1 on the games that use those Direct X 12 Ultimate feature set so there are changes for sure. The kicker is Turing's RTX GPUs also has full support for Direct X 12 Ultimate.

So in theory, for those games that don't use Direct X 12 Ultimate, it could be that RDNA 2 performs similarly to RDNA 1. But those that use Direct X 12 Ultimate, RDNA 2 should see performance gains.

But when Ampere arrives, both AMD and our wallets still start to sweat.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
hinch said:

The worst thing for BFA was RNG loot. RNG loot (stats and pieces) for mythic chests and/or corruption gear. They need to fix that shit in Shadowlands.

Don't forget the stupid RNG powers that come with said loot, like the corrupted gear. Thank fuck they are doing away with that crap. We're prob going to get Anima powered gear with likely RNG powers for those pieces too. I just don't like how insanely heavy Blizz are into RNG based mechanics. My Warlock has some spells which basically fall under RNG dmg, which is really shit for roll checks for raids. 

I mean you can play for weeks or even a month without anything useful for your build. Like my Outlaw Rogue and it insistence on giving me unless secondary stats, powers and armor types; with the same repeat wrists, belts and gloves drops, with crap corruption powers. Its just depressing logging in knowing that the chances of getting upgrades is super low lol.

I mean it works for Diablo games because of the sheer amount of loot you get but for WoW it was few in and far between. Way too random gear for work you put into it.

Uh, what's with everyone talking about path tracing? We're barely at a point where ray tracing is getting sort of viable, and people are already wanting path tracing? I mean sure, eventually, but in at least five years for any actually useful purposes? Nope?

Captain_Yuri said:

And....

Doesn't have to mean much for RDNA2 GPUs.

After all, most console GPUs are pretty much custom made and don't quite follow the same conventions as conumer GPUs. The GPU in the One X for instance is a weird mix of features from GCN 1, 2, and 4, the GPU in the 360 was basically a Radeon X850, X1900 and X2900 mashed together from their feature sets. And as I noted before, the GPU needed quite some cuts to fit into such a small die considering the much smaller RX 5700 already took more die space than the GPU in the XSX despite being produced in the same process yet the latter having more CU and additional features.

Around the Network
hinch said:
vivster said:

Meh. Not sure if I would've considered the 2080 high end even when it came out 2 years ago. The 2080ti still comfortably outperforms it by a good margin. Prices are a bit warped since the cards are already that old. The "end" in "high end" should mean something and when there is something after that "end" that is significantly stronger and still scales about the same on price/performance then what you have is probably not the "end". For example I would consider the highest non-Titan GPU as high end since it is very close in performance to a titan(the actual end) but it's way way cheaper. We'll see how expensive the new high end is but I doubt you'll be able to get it for under $1200.

I would also definitely not consider the picked CPU as high end. Let's call it elevated midrange because "low high end" sounds incredibly stupid.

Amd and Intel have their low (i3, R3) mid (i5, R5), high end (i7, R7) enthusiast ranges (i9, R9) This hasn't changed in the years I've been gaming on PC. Same with goes for GPU manufacturers. There are always high end range with one SKU that is the creme de la crop.

GTX 980 and 1080 was high end. And 980Ti/1080Ti was their TOTL cards for consumers, outside Titans. I wouldn't call an i7 or XX8X series mid range by any metric

This is first time I've heard someone say RTX 2080 was mid range. Its just weird concept to me O_o

It's simple, really. The high end isn't high end anymore when a higher end is introduced. That's why we don't consider a 980ti high end anymore. The i7 stopped being high end when the i9 was introduced.

In the end it's how you want to define it. For me high end is the highest end. Of course it's weird to call a 2080 midrange but feel free to invent a new name for it. You yourself are using a tier that's above high end so you can put a 2080 in high end. But that kinda betrays the "end" part of the descriptor.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

And....

Doesn't have to mean much for RDNA2 GPUs.

After all, most console GPUs are pretty much custom made and don't quite follow the same conventions as conumer GPUs. The GPU in the One X for instance is a weird mix of features from GCN 1, 2, and 4, the GPU in the 360 was basically a Radeon X850, X1900 and X2900 mashed together from their feature sets. And as I noted before, the GPU needed quite some cuts to fit into such a small die considering the much smaller RX 5700 already took more die space than the GPU in the XSX despite being produced in the same process yet the latter having more CU and additional features.

Here's hoping but I am gonna remain skeptical. Wish AMD would at least give us an announcement date seeing as Nvidia already has one for Ampere.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Zkuq said:

Uh, what's with everyone talking about path tracing? We're barely at a point where ray tracing is getting sort of viable, and people are already wanting path tracing? I mean sure, eventually, but in at least five years for any actually useful purposes? Nope?

Well if we are gonna spend $2100 on 3090. Only having Ray Traced reflections is gonna be yawn worthy with 2nd generation of RTX and Tensor Cores. Minecraft RTX already has path tracing so 3000 series + DLSS could have it be implemented at some level with better looking games. Or at least give us ray tracing through global illumination as well as reflections.

Speaking of 3000 series...

3060 $400
3070 $600
3080 $800
3090 $1400

https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1296916731378704391?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Don't believe any of the price rumours though.

This might be budget DIY, but it's kinda impressive for what it is. Never would have thought of building a PC case out of foam board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJveIh78y-w

I'd like to see him build a mini PC this way, and see how much he can get away with in terms of lack of airflow vs case durability.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 21 August 2020