By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You will need ~$650 bucks to match next gen consoles on PC

ethomaz said:

Solid-Stark said:

Or maybe not. The new GTX760 is $249 and is almost at the tier of last years GTX670 which was $399. CPU bottlenecks should be less frequent with each year.

Year after year the PC will get better and cheaper than consoles... no news here.

Yeah, but consoles drop in price too.  You can get an xbox 360 for 200 right?  Can you build a PC for 200 that has 360 graphic fidelity?

Shit I don't think you can even buy a netbook for that.  It's still tough to do.  Bottom line is, price for performance it is tough to beat consoles due to the streamlined volumes they supply!

Now, you can craftily upgrade just PARTS of your PC to be cheaper... but I think most PC gamers want BETTER graphics and are willing to pay for it.  I used to love gaming on my PC in my college days (counter strike source ftw) but have since moved to consoles for how easy it is.  No worries about sound glitches (half life 2 anyone?) etc.  It just works.  That and the old lady wouldn't tolerate me up in my office gaming on PC, she likes to watch on the big screen.

Around the Network
Raze said:
Build my system 2 years ago, AMD 6 core, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 3 TB HD, ASUS mobo w/USB 3.0 ports, RADEON HD 6790 with 1 GB VRAM. Cost me about $500 before the OS purchase. (Newegg has some good rebate programs)

All I need to do to get it to blow out the upcoming consoles for this gen is to replace mt vid card with a $260 vid card, I've got this one lined up for a purchase this fall - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161432 - it has 4GB GDDR5 RAM on it, and thats for graphics alone, not to mention the afore-mentioend 16 GB DDR3 RAM for all other processing. Hell, with this vid card, my rig might be more powever than the PS FIVE =)

Plus, as an added bonus, I don't have to play games with crappy thumbstick controls. Mouse is a lot more fluid for those headshots!

So all you have to do to beat a 400 dollar system is spend another 260 dollars on top of the 500 you already spent?  

Granted, you can get games cheaper.  You can also update your resume on a PC.  I get it, just saying its not THAT black and white.  

I will admit that I miss my mouse and keyboard though!

g911turbo said:

So all you have to do to beat a 400 dollar system is spend another 260 dollars on top of the 500 you already spent?  

Granted, you can get games cheaper.  You can also update your resume on a PC.  I get it, just saying its not THAT black and white.  

I will admit that I miss my mouse and keyboard though!

You're right. PC's are more expensive up-front, cheaper in the long run.
Games are typically $10-$20 cheaper, Online is free.
Seriously, do a little math and work out how many games you typically buy for a system, and add 4+ years of online to that.

I have a few hundred games on Steam, so in game purchases alone I've saved at-least $2,000. (More than that, I never buy a game at full price.)
Add on a couple hundreds bucks that is charge for online and the cost saving ratio easily falls in favor of the PC.

Besides, there are entire Genre's of games on the PC that just aren't available on the consoles to any great degree (RTS, MMO, Space Sims you name it!).

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

cunger said:

The wrong assumption that this makes is that you're a person who has never owned a pc before and currently does not own one. I already have a pc to do work on and I also use it for gaming. Ram is super cheap so i have 22 gigs and i have a decent quad quore cpu which rivals/beats next gen consoles cpus. This is all stuff I'd want even if I never played a game on this rig. The only expense for me and many others whom have interest in PC gaming is the cost of a newer better gpu. The one I have right now and purchased for 300 bucks a year ago already beats Xbone and is similar to the PS4.  Your average pc gamer doesn't think about the cost of building a machine from scratch. Right now I would calculate that i can still get $175 for my old graphics card so the choice is either 500 dollars or 400 dollars for a next gen machine or a 575 to 675 dollar gpu. If power is every thing PC would blow these consoles out of the water.  You don't go with a next gen console because of price per spec you do it because you enjoy the console experience better than the PC experience. BTW.. I have pre-ordered a PS4 and greatly anticipate it but by no means do i think that my decisions is based on math it's based on the emotional things that consoles do better.  They are simple, they have one dedicated store and friends list unlike the increasing frangmented pc stores. Every game has trophies.. ect ect. I just think it's childish to try and justify consoles a logical left brained decisions based on price per spec.

I used to game on PC.  Early 2000s - I had a Radeon 9800 pro (showing my age maybe).  Since then I have used laptops for work and consoles.  So I would need to build a tower from scratch, and I am a guy who used to PC game.  Some people NEVER PC gamed.

That being said, I get where you are coming from if you're already in the mix.  Apples to apples, its hard to deny that consoles are PRICED aggressively.  Especially when you realize that sometimes these companies take a LOSS on the hardware they sell.

That and you don't need to BUILD something.  I don't have to go to newegg for RAM, Amazon for this, Microcenter for a case, here for a power supply, yadda yadda.  I but 1 item and done.  So it's easy to see the convenience draw of consoles too.

But does it have 8GB of GDDR5? Unified? What about an APU? No?
Nothing to see here folks.

Around the Network

I bet this has all been pointed out before in this thread but there are some problems here:

1. OS - add $100.
2. RAM - double it. 4GB isn't gonna cut it on a PC.
3. Dual-core i3? Really?

Fayceless said:
I bet this has all been pointed out before in this thread but there are some problems here:

1. OS - add $100.
2. RAM - double it. 4GB isn't gonna cut it on a PC.
3. Dual-core i3? Really?

Funny you should mention the i3.

The Core i3 is about 5x faster than an AMD Brazos Dual-Core. - AMD's Jaguar/Kabini Dual-Core is roughly 10-20% faster than Brazos at the same clock.
So they should work out pretty even in performance as Jaguar has 4x the cores as Brazos. (Keep in mind that multi-core scaling is never a linear increase.)

Just because you have 8 incredibly slow cores, doesn't mean it's faster than a high-IPC, high-clocked, wider Dual-Core.

Besides, consoles will be using x86 now, so in theory there should be less CPU overhead moving forward on the PC with this next generation of games anyway as no re-compiling of code to take advantage of instructions is needed, developers can assume everything is the same.

But in reality, The Xbox One and PS4's CPU performance to put simply... Is downright horrible, but you get what you pay for.

As for the OS, you have free alternatives, you could do Linux+Wine with Steam for example, but there are ways of getting cheaper versions of Windows that isn't going to set you back $100.

does that cost come with monitor key board mouse speakers etc? sorry consoles will always have better games

even now show me a pc that can play a game like uncharted 3 or gears of war for £120 or so pounds?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

does that cost come with monitor key board mouse speakers etc? sorry consoles will always have better games

even now show me a pc that can play a game like uncharted 3 or gears of war for £120 or so pounds?

Well. If you are making it a fair comparison you wouldn't even have to ask that. - You would use the TV and it's built in speakers.
If you really want to include a monitor though, prices generally range from $100 to well over a grand.
But then, you should include the cost of the TV with the PS4 too.

Keyboards and Mice combo's can be picked up for about 5-10 bucks.

As for "Consoles have better games" - That's only an opinion, in no way is it actual fact and only applies to you.

You dont think that Microsoft and Sony get some kind of bulk discount with their mass ordering of these chips? PC all the way just for upgradeability and durability. Consoles = ok for games but pretty much dictated to on what you can use

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""