By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You will need ~$650 bucks to match next gen consoles on PC

I got a PC running Windows 98, Pentium processor, 128mb ram, soundblaster awe32 and guess what it plays the games that have more playability than anything that will be offered this next generation - $70 owned!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network
Bladeforce said:
I got a PC running Windows 98, Pentium 2 processor, 128mb ram, soundblaster awe32 and guess what it plays the games that have more playability than anything that will be offered this next generation - $70 owned!

You know you don't need to keep that old "clunker" laying around? :P
You could use a Virtual Machine instead running Windows 98. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

None of the Virtual Machine companies running windows 98 have full support of direct3d no good

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
A virtual machine running windows 98 doesnt support direct3d no good

Not entirely accurate. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines#Other_features

I do have an old Pentium 3 here with SLI 3dfx Voodoo 2's paired up with a Geforce 3 though, Glide games were amazing back then!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Not entirely accurate, your link provides plenty of accelerated support in a virtual machine for xp (nt) but not Windows 98 the closest you will get is a very early beta in Virtualbox but it is crap

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

dahuman said:

Haswell-E man, Haswell-E, it's gonna be gud~ lol....

Don't remind me! Skipping Ivy Bridge-E for it and going straight for an 8 Core Haswell-E, 6 cores ain't enough. :P

Hopefully Asus does another Sabertooth motherboard so I don't have to ditch my entire builds theme, Ivy Bridge-E though, does not have me excited at all.

lol the crazy thing is I don't want it for general purpose, I want to get the Haswell-E for live streaming, I wanna see how far I can push 1080P 60FPS streaming at really high quality presets at reasonable bandwidth that look like BR quality HD rips which would destroy my 3770K in my streaming PC ATM.

g911turbo said:
cunger said:

The wrong assumption that this makes is that you're a person who has never owned a pc before and currently does not own one. I already have a pc to do work on and I also use it for gaming. Ram is super cheap so i have 22 gigs and i have a decent quad quore cpu which rivals/beats next gen consoles cpus. This is all stuff I'd want even if I never played a game on this rig. The only expense for me and many others whom have interest in PC gaming is the cost of a newer better gpu. The one I have right now and purchased for 300 bucks a year ago already beats Xbone and is similar to the PS4.  Your average pc gamer doesn't think about the cost of building a machine from scratch. Right now I would calculate that i can still get $175 for my old graphics card so the choice is either 500 dollars or 400 dollars for a next gen machine or a 575 to 675 dollar gpu. If power is every thing PC would blow these consoles out of the water.  You don't go with a next gen console because of price per spec you do it because you enjoy the console experience better than the PC experience. BTW.. I have pre-ordered a PS4 and greatly anticipate it but by no means do i think that my decisions is based on math it's based on the emotional things that consoles do better.  They are simple, they have one dedicated store and friends list unlike the increasing frangmented pc stores. Every game has trophies.. ect ect. I just think it's childish to try and justify consoles a logical left brained decisions based on price per spec.

I used to game on PC.  Early 2000s - I had a Radeon 9800 pro (showing my age maybe).  Since then I have used laptops for work and consoles.  So I would need to build a tower from scratch, and I am a guy who used to PC game.  Some people NEVER PC gamed.

That being said, I get where you are coming from if you're already in the mix.  Apples to apples, its hard to deny that consoles are PRICED aggressively.  Especially when you realize that sometimes these companies take a LOSS on the hardware they sell.

That and you don't need to BUILD something.  I don't have to go to newegg for RAM, Amazon for this, Microcenter for a case, here for a power supply, yadda yadda.  I but 1 item and done.  So it's easy to see the convenience draw of consoles too.

pffft way late to the PC gaming party there :P I started during the years of Duke Nukem and Wolf3D lol. Of course there were the Apple II, the NES, and so on, but once I went PC, I never left it and I still prefer DOS to this day because there is not a lot of overhead compared to running on top of Windows, you just load your drivers in autoexec and config and you were done, ease of dev fucked the efficiency of PC gaming and it's going to fuck consoles sooner or later as well. I was so happy when I got the AWE32 too, DOOM series sounded fucking awesome lol..... Anyhow, I'm a console gamer as well, though I gave up on 360 and will give up on One and PS4 due to P2PO charges until PS4 has a high number of SP JRPGs, gonna stick to my Wii U and 3DS until then and enjoy the good games on PS3 since they'll prolly support it a few more years anyhow.

VGKing said:
But does it have 8GB of GDDR5? Unified? What about an APU? No?
Nothing to see here folks.

Why would you want an APU? o_O; You can run seperate CPU and GPU and push them much harder because of better heat dissipation on different parts with good air flow since PC these days is more about brute force(why my fav cars remain to be muscle cars too, yummmm... even though I drive a hybrid lol....). Unified RAM wouldn't work with PCs due to the nature of how it works either as PCs are more app heavy so you want lower latency memory at the sacrifice of bandwidth which is why you have RAM on the GPU itself, not to mention that it's not even that much money to max out the RAM in your PC these days since I've been running 32GB for awhile now lol...... Also, where is Raid-0 on consoles? Can I attach 2 512GB SSDs to them to form 1TB of space and make them load games at 1000+MB/s? A lot to see here :D

Money is a beautiful thing.

Pemalite said:
Bladeforce said:
A virtual machine running windows 98 doesnt support direct3d no good

Not entirely accurate. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines#Other_features

I do have an old Pentium 3 here with SLI 3dfx Voodoo 2's paired up with a Geforce 3 though, Glide games were amazing back then!

Jebus I don't even know where my Voodoo is anymore, I used to run a Trident video card with VESA2 drivers and an original Voodoo in the old days and Quake was never the same again lol..... Good times. I also still have the original All-in-Wonder hahaha, that one is sitting in my drawer somewhere.

g911turbo said:
cunger said:

The wrong assumption that this makes is that you're a person who has never owned a pc before and currently does not own one. I already have a pc to do work on and I also use it for gaming. Ram is super cheap so i have 22 gigs and i have a decent quad quore cpu which rivals/beats next gen consoles cpus. This is all stuff I'd want even if I never played a game on this rig. The only expense for me and many others whom have interest in PC gaming is the cost of a newer better gpu. The one I have right now and purchased for 300 bucks a year ago already beats Xbone and is similar to the PS4.  Your average pc gamer doesn't think about the cost of building a machine from scratch. Right now I would calculate that i can still get $175 for my old graphics card so the choice is either 500 dollars or 400 dollars for a next gen machine or a 575 to 675 dollar gpu. If power is every thing PC would blow these consoles out of the water.  You don't go with a next gen console because of price per spec you do it because you enjoy the console experience better than the PC experience. BTW.. I have pre-ordered a PS4 and greatly anticipate it but by no means do i think that my decisions is based on math it's based on the emotional things that consoles do better.  They are simple, they have one dedicated store and friends list unlike the increasing frangmented pc stores. Every game has trophies.. ect ect. I just think it's childish to try and justify consoles a logical left brained decisions based on price per spec.

I used to game on PC.  Early 2000s - I had a Radeon 9800 pro (showing my age maybe).  Since then I have used laptops for work and consoles.  So I would need to build a tower from scratch, and I am a guy who used to PC game.  Some people NEVER PC gamed.

That being said, I get where you are coming from if you're already in the mix.  Apples to apples, its hard to deny that consoles are PRICED aggressively.  Especially when you realize that sometimes these companies take a LOSS on the hardware they sell.

That and you don't need to BUILD something.  I don't have to go to newegg for RAM, Amazon for this, Microcenter for a case, here for a power supply, yadda yadda.  I but 1 item and done.  So it's easy to see the convenience draw of consoles too.

I get where you are coming from but again it's a tradeoff.  I am attatched to my consoles because i value how they were spefically designed by Sony or Nintendo and I value that.  I also value the attatchment I have to my pc since it's something I created myself. I'm gonna enjoy the ps4 as my main gaming device for a few years but when you can get extreme res monitors for 300 bucks and video cards which can max any game 60fps and extreme res i think i'll switch back at that time.