By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You will need ~$650 bucks to match next gen consoles on PC

trixiemafia86 said:
I can't wait for comparison videos. PS4 vs 7870 builds.

7950 would prolly be the better video lol, 7870 isn't very strong IMO.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
trixiemafia86 said:

The truth is, according to john carmack consoles can perform better than PCs with similar performance by up to 50-100%. (I can't find the quote). That's why I think a 7870 build won't compete well.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

But you don't have to pay for multiplayer on this PC, and you pay much less for games.

trixiemafia86 said:
dahuman said:
trixiemafia86 said:

The truth is, according to john carmack consoles can perform better than PCs with similar performance by up to 50-100%. (I can't find the quote). That's why I think a 7870 build won't compete well.

That's old by now though, MS has improved DX after that, 11 is actually quiet a lot better compared to 9, 10.1 also did a decent boost, and Windows 8.... although I hate to say it, is faster than Windows 7, and I'll convert eventually just for that after I'm more used to 8 on my new laptop.... It's nowhere near assembly level but they generally get better with newer DX versions and driver updates, and also why I miss DOS on that regard.....

PS: I don't think 7870 would compete well at all as well, unless you are talking about the XT edition, which has less RAM....

trixiemafia86 said:

Around the Network

dahuman said:

That's old by now though, MS has improved DX after that, 11 is actually quiet a lot better compared to 9, 10.1 also did a decent boost, and Windows 8.... although I hate to say it, is faster than Windows 7, and I'll convert eventually just for that after I'm more used to 8 on my new laptop.... It's nowhere near assembly level but they generally get better with newer DX versions and driver updates, and also why I miss DOS on that regard.....

Carmack said that for this new gen... in 2011.

That was a response about the AMD saying the GPUs will perform far better without DirectX like in consoles.

ethomaz said:

dahuman said:

Carmack said that for this new gen... in late 2011.

That's like 2 years ago when devs were still mostly doing work with DX9 level graphics though. Most of the devs that bitched at the time were always bitching about DX9 because it does perform kinda bad in Windows, MS finally got the fucking message at least and is improving the overall.

dahuman said:

That's like 2 years ago when devs were still mostly doing work with DX9 level graphics though. Most of the devs that bitched at the time were always bitching about DX9 because it does perform kinda bad in Windows, MS finally got the fucking message at least and is improving the overall.

No. The full story started when AMD said MS needs to drop the DX (DX11 not the DX9) to have a far better performance in their GPUs like consoles. Carmack said the consoles performs 2x the PC with same hardware not only due the API (DX) but because the optimizations for single specs too.

At the end you are comparing a abstraction API (DX) with some more close to metal (consoles)... that's what AMD wants to say.

And DX11 give less freedom to developers than DX9... it is really attached to OS... DX9 not so much... in this aspect devs like more the DX9 style.

dahuman said:
trixiemafia86 said:
dahuman said:

PS: I don't think 7870 would compete well at all as well, unless you are talking about the XT edition, which has less RAM....

Cool, my build's Win 8. I've gotten used to it. I think the backlash was exaggerated a bit. its not that bad

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

This is what happened in 2011.

AMD: DirectX Holding Back Graphics Performance On PC 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/123987/AMD_DirectX_Holding_Back_Graphics_Performance_On_PC.php

And yeah... the flexibility that any API like DirectX give to you, where you can make a code to run in almost every PC configuration in the world have a price to be paid... the price is the overhead created by these APIs... if you make a API that access directly the hardware (a fixed hardware and not all the hardware available in the maket) it will performance far better than DirectX but it will be locked to only unique hardware.

That will never change... Windows/Linux/Mac and DirectX/OpenGL/etc hold the graphcis performance on PCs.

Every developer agree with AMD.

Some quotes from AMD...

"It's funny, we often have at least ten times as much horsepower as an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in a high-end graphics card, yet it's very clear that the games don't look ten times as good," he said. "To a significant extent, that's because, one way or another, for good reasons and bad -- mostly good -- DirectX is getting in the way."

"Wrapping it up in a software layer gives you safety and security," Huddy said, "but it unfortunately tends to rob you of quite a lot of the performance, and most importantly it robs you of the opportunity to innovate."

"If we drop the API, then people really can render everything they can imagine, not what they can see -- and we'll probably see more visual innovation in that kind of situation," he said.