By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU will sell better than Gamecube.

Jeremy Miller, video game analyst for DFC Intelligence, says that the company expects Wii U sales to be slightly higher than the GameCube,  which launched in 2001 and 2002. Miller says that the machine will appeal to the hardcore Nintendo fans, but it won’t capture the mainstream audience in the same way as the original Wii console did in 2006. He went on to say that he thinks initial sales for this generation will be better than last generation for Microsoft and Sony because of limited competition from Nintendo.

“The Wii U is more of a loyalist Nintendo system right now and is looking more like the Gamecube, but our forecasts are higher than for the GameCube. The Wii U and its lineup is very much targeted to a core Nintendo fan.  In that it seems pretty successful. The problem is many people are expecting another Wii in terms of sales and we don’t see that happening. As a company Nintendo probably needs to learn to make due with a smaller but more dedicated audience.”

What do you guys (and girls) think? will the wiiu sell less than gamecube or can nintendo make a come back?

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

I can't really think of any reason why it will do better than the Gamecube.

Edit: I have been told some reasons it can do better and I agree with them. While it is too early to say that it will, it definitely has a good chance.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

I am expecting an over all shrink in the market and expect nothing to exceed their predecessors.

I think it will sell better than N64 but worse than NES, id say about 50 million. As for One-50 million, PS4-100 million, Vita-35 million, 3DS-115 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Yes.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

I'm expecting it to beat the SNES.

Love and tolerate.

That's quite easy and safe to say, agreed.

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.

Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, the fact that Smash and Kart are far more popular franchises now than they were a decade ago, etc.

It could easily double GameCube sales or more assuming sales explode during the holiday with 3D World and DKC.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

anthony64641 said:

He went on to say that he thinks initial sales for this generation will be better than last generation for Microsoft and Sony because of limited competition from Nintendo.

Ha, as if anyone who actually plays games went Wii only that gen to begin with.  Everyone had a 360, PS3, or powerful PC to play everything the rest of the industry was playing, as will be the case once again with the Wii U.

This is also an incredibly milquetoast prediction. I expect roughly 35  - 55 million lifetime.

I'm almost certain it will. GC sales are pitiful.