By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Journey Becomes Profitable, ThatGameCompany Starts Receiving Royalties"

Tagged games:

as long as they are making some dough now

Around the Network

Thatgamecompany notoriously mismanaged the budget of the game and was saved on by Sony's faith in them.

HikenNoAce said:
Thatgamecompany notoriously mismanaged the budget of the game and was saved on by Sony's faith in them.

Yeah...  Um...  I wouldn't listen to HikenNoAce.

Anyways, I'm Aaron Grommesh, the Community Manager for thatgamecompany.

I'm very surprised that people are thinking that the game just now became profitable.

The tweet was in response to someone saying that the company completely closed down after Journey was released.  Sony gives out royalties every three months.  Jenova also talked a little about how TGC was set to start receiving royalties with the next payment from Sony here: http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-made-the-majority-of-the-profits-from-journey-says-chen/

AmishGramish said:
HikenNoAce said:

Yeah...  Um...  I wouldn't listen to HikenNoAce.

Anyways, I'm Aaron Grommesh, the Community Manager for thatgamecompany.

I'm very surprised that people are thinking that the game just now became profitable.

The tweet was in response to someone saying that the company completely closed down after Journey was released.  Sony gives out royalties every three months.  Jenova also talked a little about how TGC was set to start receiving royalties with the next payment from Sony here: http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-made-the-majority-of-the-profits-from-journey-says-chen/

Aaron, is it true or not that the game went over budget twice?

Weird that the game would have such a high budget.

Around the Network

Bought it, never played it. If it come out on Vita I'll buy again and definitely play it there since I'm on the go more.

they went WAY over budget

sniper989 said:

Everybody is claiming that, but nobody posts a source. I would really like to see somebody post a legit link to confirm all of that.

AndrewWK said:
sniper989 said:

Everybody is claiming that, but nobody posts a source. I would really like to see somebody post a legit link to confirm all of that.

http://www.destructoid.com/journey-took-thatgamecompany-into-bankruptcy-244311.phtml

Wright said:

JOURNEY BECOMES PROFITABLE; THATGAMECOMPANY STARTS RECEIVING ROYALTIES.

Journey has become profitable according to thatgamecompany, the studio that created the game. The game was in development for over three years and studio boss Jenova Chen had earlier said that they were almost facing bankruptcy but Sony had faith in them and kept funding them.

The game has finally broke even and the critical success might have helped as well. Journey is widely regarded as one of the best games on PSN and a must play if you own a PS3.

Source is Twitter.

Article description found in N4G.

sony.  such assholes.  no wonder they are going multiplat.