By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Dragon Quest X announced for PC.

Tagged games:

outlawauron said:
atma998 said:
outlawauron said:
atma998 said:
outlawauron said:

DQ7 sold very well and is the only million selling JRPG. I think it would have done well on any platform though. Game is great, loved, and has not been remade ever. Do a good remake of the best selling DQ ever, it's hard to mess that up. Still waiting on an announcement for the States.

I'm not saying the 3DS hasn't had success, but you can't compare those sales with the DS. Not even close.

OK so you don't considere Monster Hunter as a JRPG. That's arguable. But what about Sticker Star, Kingdoms Heart 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters?

I would be curious also of what game you considere as JRPG released on PS3?

Also, DQ7 sold 1.22M (so far) in Japan. Lifetime figures for DQ titles on DS in Japan are 1.27M (DQ4), 1.36M (DQ5) and 1.35M (DQ6). Not to mention that DQ4, DQ5 and DQ6 were released later in the DS lifecycle than DQ7 on 3DS's one. I don't see how it doest not ''even come close'' of the DS success. To me these numbers are quite comparable.

Not really. It's an action game through and through.

Sticker Star, KH3D, and DQM are all not million sellers in Japan and that's all I said. DS had 14 over its lifetime (including 5 over 3 million! That's insane!).

As far as DQ, you have look at the game itself. DQ7 is bigger than any Final Fantasy game. Bigger than really everything outside of Pokemon and a few other Nintendo titles. There isn't anything bigger. DQ4-6 all sold well, but all sold at least 1 million less. You'd expect the 2nd most popular game in the series to do very well in its first remake ever. I think it'll pass those remakes in time.

I also don't think 1 title suddenly puts the 3DS in the same tier as DS. I don't think any console or handheld will be close to that level ever again.

Well Action-RPG are still RPGs but that another debate.

DQM is 0.95M in Japan so not that far away to the million...

The original DQ7 sold about 900k more than original DQVI. What did you expect? The remake would not sell twice as good as DQ6's remake. Also you forget to mention that DQ4-5-6 remakes were released later in the DS lifecycle and thus on a larger userbase.

For the rest I also think that due to the decrease of the market it will be hard to see as many JRPGs million sellers as we saw on DS but the point is that the current best platform for JRPGs is 3DS, not really far away from DS and Square-Enix would make a good move saleswise in releasing a DQXI on that platform.

I don't think MH is an action RPG either. It's an zoned action game designed to be played co-op.

I also don't get why you think I said or believe DQ7 sold badly. It did well and as expected (and I said I think it'll keep on for a while longer). Userbase with a series like DQ really isn't that important. Once you have enough consoles, the difference becomes nominal. There won't be any noticeable different between launching the game on 11 million HW and 14 million HW. DQ sells to DQ fans.

Now we've come full circle. Still don't think you can begin to compare 3DS to DS. 3DS isn't some dominant platform, but is the likely destination. From my perspective, it sucks, since DQ is so much better on consoles (going back to DQ8 really makes DQ9 even more disappointing). Would love to see it on any of them really. 

Maybe there is no relevance between selling a DQ on a 11M million userbase vs. a 14M one but there is surely one between 11M vs. 25M.

Also if a platform that get near 75% of all JRPGs released cannot be called a dominant platform, I really don't see what is a dominant platform for a genre.

I played both DQ8 and DQ9 (I played all of them except 7 and 10), DQ8 was really good but did not have the replay value of DQ9 and did not have multiplayer options either. For me DQ9 was better than DQ8.

DQXI will eventually come to 3DS but it won't be anytime soon, my guess is sometime around 2015-2016.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
outlawauron said:

Sticker Star, KH3D, and DQM are all not million sellers in Japan and that's all I said. DS had 14 over its lifetime (including 5 over 3 million! That's insane!).

As far as DQ, you have look at the game itself. DQ7 is bigger than any Final Fantasy game. Bigger than really everything outside of Pokemon and a few other Nintendo titles. There isn't anything bigger. DQ4-6 all sold well, but all sold at least 1 million less. You'd expect the 2nd most popular game in the series to do very well in its first remake ever. I think it'll pass those remakes in time.

I also don't think 1 title suddenly puts the 3DS in the same tier as DS. I don't think any console or handheld will be close to that level ever again.

The original DQ7 sold about 900k more than original DQVI. What did you expect? The remake would not sell twice as good as DQ6's remake. Also you forget to mention that DQ4-5-6 remakes were released later in the DS lifecycle and thus on a larger userbase.

For the rest I also think that due to the decrease of the market it will be hard to see as many JRPGs million sellers as we saw on DS but the point is that the current best platform for JRPGs is 3DS, not really far away from DS and Square-Enix would make a good move saleswise in releasing a DQXI on that platform.

I don't think MH is an action RPG either. It's an zoned action game designed to be played co-op.

I also don't get why you think I said or believe DQ7 sold badly. It did well and as expected (and I said I think it'll keep on for a while longer). Userbase with a series like DQ really isn't that important. Once you have enough consoles, the difference becomes nominal. There won't be any noticeable different between launching the game on 11 million HW and 14 million HW. DQ sells to DQ fans.

Now we've come full circle. Still don't think you can begin to compare 3DS to DS. 3DS isn't some dominant platform, but is the likely destination. From my perspective, it sucks, since DQ is so much better on consoles (going back to DQ8 really makes DQ9 even more disappointing). Would love to see it on any of them really. 

Maybe there is no relevance between selling a DQ on a 11M million userbase vs. a 14M one but there is surely one between 11M vs. 25M.

Also if a platform that get near 75% of all JRPGs released cannot be called a dominant platform, I really don't see what is a dominant platform for a genre.

I played both DQ8 and DQ9 (I played all of them except 7 and 10), DQ8 was really good but did not have the replay value of DQ9 and did not have multiplayer options either. For me DQ9 was better than DQ8.

DQXI will eventually come to 3DS but it won't be anytime soon, my guess is sometime around 2015-2016.

3DS is getting 75% of all JRPGs?! Where could you show me this, because I keep up with my favorite genre and that is not the case at all.

I also don't see how anyone could have enjoyed DQ9 more than DQ8. It was worse in every possible way and the multiplayer aspects only made the story and characters worse. Not much reason to discuss this any further because we're literal opposites in more than one way.

DQ11 will likely go to 3DS, but that would be a mistake in my opinion. Game would be much better on PS4, Xbone, or Wii U.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
atma998 said:
outlawauron said:

3DS is getting 75% of all JRPGs?! Where could you show me this, because I keep up with my favorite genre and that is not the case at all.

I also don't see how anyone could have enjoyed DQ9 more than DQ8. It was worse in every possible way and the multiplayer aspects only made the story and characters worse. Not much reason to discuss this any further because we're literal opposites in more than one way.

DQ11 will likely go to 3DS, but that would be a mistake in my opinion. Game would be much better on PS4, Xbone, or Wii U.

Well looking at metacritic's user score for both games, it seems there are more people who prefer DQ9 over DQ8:

Dragon Quest IX user score: 8.7

Dragon Quest VIII user score: 8.4

atma998 said:
outlawauron said:
atma998 said:

Well looking at metacritic's user score for both games, it seems there are more people who prefer DQ9 over DQ8:

Dragon Quest IX user score: 8.7

Dragon Quest VIII user score: 8.4

That means anything? DQ9 had around a 2/5 average on Amazon Japan. User reviews and averages really mean nothing.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Dqx could make dq popular here if square or nintendo do it justice. I, for one, hate mmos, but us and s. korea love them. I think Nintendo should just buy DQ publishing rights or whatever the term is so they can release good games like Dq7, Dragon Quest Monsters 3D, and Dragon Quest X instead of the crap that was Final Fantasy XIV and FFXV. Ever since DQ8 I've converted from a FF only guy to a mainly DQ guy. I'll play old FFs and remakes n' stuff but that is it. In short, quit wasting money Square! Dq9 sold over 1m outside Japan and so did 8 why moss this opportunity to strengthen the DQ brand. I know DQ is the final original, real, JRPG series left out there. Please keep it alive.