By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Xbox One Pad vs Dual Shock 4

Tagged games:

Dual Shock 4 and the Xbox One controller: the preliminary verdict

All in all, both Microsoft and Sony have clearly taken note of the shortfalls in their current-gen controllers and make amends without over-stepping the mark - inevitably arriving at a similar middle-point in ergonomic design. Microsoft is no stranger to the process of evolving its pad design with every generation, going from the mighty Duke on the original Xbox, to a minimised S version which formed a basis for the more streamlined 360 pad. The Xbox One continues that tradition of refinement with gentle tweaks across the board - plus the addition of rumble features which make a surprising difference - though the result is one that should be warmly familiar to existing Xbox fans.

Meanwhile, Sony's DualShock 4 shows a more radical departure from the Dual Shock form factor it's held onto for the last three generations. With the revelation that neither the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One offer compatibility for current-gen pads, it's just as well that these new controllers bring enough incremental tweaks to every facet of their designs, each adding up to a broader sense of overall improvement than we'd expected going in. Certainly, controller comfort will always be a strict matter of personal taste, but between the two, the balance between conservation and evolution has been judged with care.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-joypads-a-true-evolution

Around the Network

Sounds good to me! I can't wait to try out the triggers. I wonder if a rumble off with triggers on option will be available.

Seems like both systems have good controllers. I think the big questions now are

A) How big of an impact will the X1 rumble triggers have on immersion (probably depends on how well developers take advantage of it)

B) Will Playstation fans like the change in form factor, or will the yearn for the more traditional dualshock feel (my guess is that if the controller is as well-designed as DF says it is, PS fans will adjust without too much complaint)

C) Will we see many PC games ported to PS4 thanks to the touch pad on the new dualshock

I wonder if you can use them as PC controllers?

sth88 said:
Seems like both systems have good controllers. I think the big questions now are

A) How big of an impact will the X1 rumble triggers have on immersion (probably depends on how well developers take advantage of it)

B) Will Playstation fans like the change in form factor, or will the yearn for the more traditional dualshock feel (my guess is that if the controller is as well-designed as DF says it is, PS fans will adjust without too much complaint)

C) Will we see many PC games ported to PS4 thanks to the touch pad on the new dualshock

As a DS lover for 3 generations the DS4 looks great and won't require much adjustment.  My biggest thank you to Sony is keeping the stick symmetrical and the face buttons the same because they're an iconic picture with PS.  Everyone seems to love it so I don't see who is complaining.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:
I wonder if you can use them as PC controllers?

If Sony/MS release drivers or anybody make reverse engineer... yes.

great read about the ps4 controller. some people might know that i dislike the ps3 controller and this seems so much better this time.

Xbox has the best setup for fsp...but dpad sucks for fighting games...so maybe they improved that for the Xbox One

i really welcome the changes to the dualshock. the 360 controller is by far, without a doubt, the more comfortable controller. this is one place i'm really really REALLY glad sony evolved.

..but in reality i wish both controllers designs were available on both systems. the asymmetric vs. symmetric analog positions are both advantageous depending on the game genre. as i'll pick up a second pad regardless i'll love love LOVE the option to have one of each and switch as i see fit.

I hope that ridge on the PS4 analogue sticks aren't too obtrusive, the PS3 analogue sticks were perfect in my opinion.