By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC vs. Consoles - Cost and power comparison

I have a general question about PC gaming.

How much would it cost to build or buy factory built a PC that was comparable in power to the PS4?

Also, could you even buy or build a PC even as powerful as the PS3 around $260?  (including WIFI/Bluetooth, Blue Ray and peripherals)?

I get that PC's certainly have a higher ceiling, but how does the cost differential come into play?  How long will it be before I could purchase a PS4 level PC for the same price as the PS4?

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Around the Network

Edit: I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
I'm no expert, but based on what I can find around the internet, a PS4-level PC you build yourself will cost around $800 or $900, including just the basic hardware but not any keyboards or monitors.

A $260 PC won't be able to play a lot of PS3-level games.

You're clearly not. $900 is a ridiculous price for the mid-range parts that are in the PS4/XBone.

Salnax said:
I'm no expert, but based on what I can find around the internet, a PS4-level PC you build yourself will cost around $800 or $900, including just the basic hardware but not any keyboards or monitors.

W-T-F? Someone delete that trolling attempt?

A PS4 level PC will cost you about the same as  a PS4. The diffrence will probably be that games on the PC won't run as good as the same games on the PS4 because of optimization on the console, but it doesn't mean that they won't run well.

You can find a PS3 level PC in dumps for free. You certainly can't buy a new PC anymore with those parts because PC tech has gone several generations ahead since PS3 launch.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

catofellow said:

I have a general question about PC gaming.

How much would it cost to build or buy factory built a PC that was comparable in power to the PS4?

Also, could you even buy or build a PC even as powerful as the PS3 around $260?  (including WIFI/Bluetooth, Blue Ray and peripherals)?

I get that PC's certainly have a higher ceiling, but how does the cost differential come into play?  How long will it be before I could purchase a PS4 level PC for the same price as the PS4?

You can purchase PC powerful than PS4 but you can't play any of the Sony Exclusive titles ever and also can't experience the DualShock controller and PS eye features which also possible only in PS4. The benefit the PC provides is that Higher details, Framerates along with High Price point but this can play only Multiplatform titles.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Salnax said:

W-T-F? Someone delete that trolling attempt?

A PS4 level PC will cost you about the same as  a PS4. The diffrence will probably be that games on the PC won't run as good as the same games on the PS4 because of optimization on the console, but it doesn't mean that they won't run well.

You can find a PS3 level PC in dumps for free. You certainly can't buy a new PC anymore with those parts because PC tech has gone several generations ahead since PS3 launch.

There's no way you can get a PS4 level PC for the same price as a PS4.  There so much extra stuff that needs to be in a PC that doesn't need to be in the PS4.  The OS alone adds significant cost.  PS4 is probably sold at a loss, too.

TheLastStarFighter said:
There's no way you can get a PS4 level PC for the same price as a PS4.  There so much extra stuff that needs to be in a PC that doesn't need to be in the PS4.  The OS alone adds significant cost.  PS4 is probably sold at a loss, too.

CPU - 100

GPU - 150

Mobo - 50

RAM - 50

Case - 50

= 400

There you go.

OS can be easily *borrowed*.

You can take power supply and hard drive/solid state drive from your previous build mom.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CPU - $70 ~lower than Trinity
GPU - $125 ~7850 minus memory
8GB GDDR5 ~$100
Motherboard $70
500GB HDD $60
BD drive $20
Case $50
Onboard ARM chip/other custom circuitry $10
Controller $60

$565 excluding software, tax, assembly and shipping

Now obviously Sony pays less. But also they have design costs to amortise and a free cloud service to run. I would say they make a $50 loss per unit at best.

m0ney said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

CPU - 100

GPU - 150

Mobo - 50

RAM - 50

Case - 50

= 400

There you go.

Missing controller, BD drive, hard drive, ARM chip and the fact 8GB of GDDR5 is stupid expensive

m0ney said:

CPU - 100

GPU - 150

Mobo - 50

RAM - 50

Case - 50

= 400

There you go.

No HDD? What about a wi-fi adapter? I also like to play with a controller (that's bundled with the console).

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)