By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So can we finally admit that the "cloud" was PR play now that Xbox doesn't require online?

Tagged games:

Simcity 2.0

Now that M$ isn't requiring the online, what about cloud-based games? Obviously they were lies and PR if they can still be played now on Xbone? I expect people to hack the game's code like Simcity and expose this once the games launch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:

Simcity 2.0

Now that M$ isn't requiring the online, what about cloud-based games? Obviously they were lies and PR if they can still be played now on Xbone? I expect people to hack the game's code like Simcity and expose this once the games launch.

Cloud-based games can still exist, you know. We have a Dark Souls system between hands, where the online experience changes things when you play.

Did you think about this thread before you made it? 24 hour connection? Do you think that required the cloud?

I don't know, if a game is using cloud technology I don't see why an online connection wouldn't be required to play it.

gergroy said:
I don't know, if a game is using cloud technology I don't see why an online connection wouldn't be required to play it.

This is exactly it, the 'cloud' will work exactly as they have planned for it to work.

Around the Network

Hope not.. Asynchronic multplayer is awesome.. with AI resembling my online friends.. I hate famousringo in my Real Racing 3..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I meant the "constant off loading AI" up to 40X the power with cloud crap BS.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

The cloud can still be used if the game requires it.

Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida has told Polygon that developers can use the cloud for computing calculations, however the option is not required. He doesn't believe that every title will need the extra boost in power, but it is there if any developers want to take advantage of it.

"Linking, matchmaking…there are already many computations being done on the cloud side. We don’t believe every title needs that," said Yoshida. "But if your title needs [an] online connection to provide some online features: Go for it."

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251035/sony-developers-can-use-the-cloud-for-computations-for-the-ps4/

Yes, this was the final evidence.

It's like a house of cards, it's all falling apart. Now everyone knows Microsoft was lying and cheating and this will haunt them for the rest of the generation.

I told you this was the beginning of the end. The Xbos brand will never recover from this.

No the cloud will work as before.

Before the change you didn't have to be online while playing a game, which means that you couldn't profit from the cloud.
Nothing changed.

Cloud is only helpful in online modes (bigger maps, more players, online stats tracking, better performance etc.) and it's perfectly possible that there are cloud only games that require you to be online (a few multiplayer centric XBLA games already need you to be connected to the internet before you can even start them)