By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

RolStoppable said:

crissindahouse said:

PS2 did cost 869DM in Germany. That's like 440€ and PS4 will cost 399€ which is already cheaper as PS2 was without talking about inflation.

That's still expensive.

People need to remember that the PS3 didn't start to do well until Sony cut the price to $299; and at that point there was already a good budget library available (Platinum re-releases as well as regular games that had dropped in price). $399 and $60 games is a different ballpark.

i don't think it's expensive for a system you will use for 7 years or so. people pay thousands over a gen for their hobby. the hundred dollar they have to pay more at release are only a few percent of the whole expenses. 

most early customers buy the console, a second controller, 2-3 games, maybe a new headset, ps+ and whatever. i don't understand how people always argue about 100 dollar more or less for the console itself.

it seems really important for many but i don't understand why. 

the average customer will probably pay 600 dollar or so at release. if the console would be 100 cheaper, it would be 500. someone who has 500 shouldn't really have a problem to pay 600 knowing that the whole gen will cost him much more overall. 

i understand that many people can't pay a bigger amount at once but we don't talk about "pay 100 or 200 ", we talk about "500 or 600". for those who really care about the console, the 100 dollar more or less shouldn't really make a difference. 

It's not as if they wouldn't also get a stronger system because of that and most of those who buy a playstation very early will care about the power. 

but sure, to sell the console to the "normal" gamers, consoles have to be cheaper as that.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
crissindahouse said:

i don't think it's expensive for a system you will use for 7 years or so. people pay thousands over a gen for their hobby. the hundred dollar they have to pay more at release are only a few percent of the whole expenses. 

most early customers buy the console, a second controller, 2-3 games, maybe a new headset, ps+ and whatever. i don't understand how people always argue about 100 dollar more or less for the console itself.

it seems really important for many but i don't understand why. 

the average customer will probably pay 600 dollar or so at release. if the console would be 100 cheaper, it would be 500. someone who has 500 shouldn't really have a problem to pay 600 knowing that the whole gen will cost him much more overall. 

i understand that many people can't pay a bigger amount at once but we don't talk about "pay 100 or 200 ", we talk about "500 or 600". for those who really care about the console, the 100 dollar more or less shouldn't really make a difference. 

It's not as if they wouldn't also get a stronger system because of that and most of those who buy a playstation very early will care about the power. 

but sure, to sell the console to the "normal" gamers, consoles have to be cheaper as that.

That was a longwinded way to say that you agree.

well, i don't think that this price is too high for the first year or so. after that, we will see...

ethomaz said:

DélioPT said:

Was it Creamsugar? I only know one who has access.

No... Creamsugar and CosmicQueso are insiders... CosmicQueso said > 30k and Creamsugar confirmed 36k... the other guy < 34k was just prediction like you said.

Full numbers from GAF (estimates).

Oh, ok. Thanks!

AnthonyW86 said:
TheSource said:

NPD Consoles (no GB, no DS, etc)

May 1994 - 282,000 consoles sold

May 1995 - 223,000 consoles sold

May 1996 - 196,000 consoles sold

May 1997 - 371,000 consoles sold

May 1998 - 390,000 consoles sold

May 1999 - 310,000 consoles sold

May 2000 - 203,000 consoles sold

May 2001 - 486,000 consoles sold

May 2002 - 941,000 consoles sold

May 2003 - 525,000 consoles sold

May 2004 - 622,000 consoles sold

May 2005 - 457,000 consoles sold

May 2006 - 512,000 consoles sold

May 2007 - 763,000 consoles sold

May 2008 - 1,202,000 consoles sold

May 2009 - 713,000 consoles sold

May 2010 - 725,000 consoles sold

May 2011 - 703,000 consoles sold

May 2012 - 355,000 consoles sold

May 2013 - 240,000 consoles sold (X360 - 114k, PS3 - 84k, Wii / Wii U - 70k?)

May 2013 is down nearly 1,000,000 units from May 2008...

GTA IV launched at the end of April 2008 and so did Mario Kart Wii in the U.S.....Wii sales were up over 300% in the first week: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39572/USA/ Really not a good comparison. And look at May 2000, way lower than this year.

GTAIV didn't do anything for X360 / PS3 hw sales, they were both mediocre to bad until 2009. April 2008 was four consoles selling better than X360 sold this month (yes, including PS2)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

ethomaz said:

From sugar...

PSV game this year (LTD)

SC:TIT ~ 28.8K
NGS2P ~ 8.3K
DOA5P ~ 7.5K
MLB13 ~ 38.8K
SS ~ 45.3K

Cheers for this Ethomaz; I still find this stuff interesting.

So from this:  MLB pretty much spot on; Sly Cooper ~ 8k undertracked; Soul Sac ~ 8k overtracked.

And finally some numbers for Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive.  Terrible numbers, but better than not being tracked at all :P

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
binary solo said:

Smartphones + Tablets.

I've been saying for several months that gen 8 of home consoles is going to be smaller than gen 7. That's because the Wii blue ocean swan across to smartphone and tablet land leaving us more or less with gen 6 numbers + new markets (as in countries, not demographics) since gen 6.

I'd love to be proved wrong. Hopefully you can post me a great big I told you so in 5 years time when PS4/Xbone/Wii U have cracked the half way point to  Mehdi's fabled 1 billion mark.

Have you ever asked yourself why someone would leave motion controls and local multiplayer behind for smartphones or tablets? If someone told you that gamers are abandoning, say, Killzone for Angry Birds, you would probably say that that is a load of hogwash, because it isn't a substitute that makes sense.

Admittedly, you haven't spelled out this leap of logic, but I see it being used a lot. There just isn't much of a desire to understand things, because it's more convenient to simplify everything to "casuals are fickle and unpredictable". Funnily enough, I've often seen this being followed by "they won't be coming back to Nintendo".

So aside from a worse worldwide economy than in the mid-2000s, what's going to be the other main reason why generation 8 will see a contraction? It's the fact that the video game industry greatly lacks in variety and isn't even interested in attracting more customers. Instead it's about fighting over existing customers and squeezing more money out of them.

It's not about games, it's about utility and budgets. Shall I get a tablet, which has X,Y,Z uses that are useful in my life, oh and it plays fun casual games, which are fun? Or shall I get a console which plays games and does some other stuff which is less useful in my life and can all be done on devices I already own or on a tablet? Or shall I get both? Hmmm can't afford both, I like motion gaming and social gaming but I already have a Wii, so tablet it is.

If I was part of that blue ocean (and I fancied a tablet) then that would very much be my line of thinking. I would almost certaily buy a tablet over a console if I could only buy one, especially if I already had a Wii. Those blue ocean folks are not invested in having the latest and greatest console, and they're less influenced by shinier visuals, better AI, and cool particle effects. There's actually not a lot of perceived value in dropping $350 for a WiiU. No more than there is perceived value in having a $500 KinectBox which is basically a universal remote contol device with some apps.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

TheSource said:
AnthonyW86 said:
TheSource said:

NPD Consoles (no GB, no DS, etc)

May 1994 - 282,000 consoles sold

May 1995 - 223,000 consoles sold

May 1996 - 196,000 consoles sold

May 1997 - 371,000 consoles sold

May 1998 - 390,000 consoles sold

May 1999 - 310,000 consoles sold

May 2000 - 203,000 consoles sold

May 2001 - 486,000 consoles sold

May 2002 - 941,000 consoles sold

May 2003 - 525,000 consoles sold

May 2004 - 622,000 consoles sold

May 2005 - 457,000 consoles sold

May 2006 - 512,000 consoles sold

May 2007 - 763,000 consoles sold

May 2008 - 1,202,000 consoles sold

May 2009 - 713,000 consoles sold

May 2010 - 725,000 consoles sold

May 2011 - 703,000 consoles sold

May 2012 - 355,000 consoles sold

May 2013 - 240,000 consoles sold (X360 - 114k, PS3 - 84k, Wii / Wii U - 70k?)

May 2013 is down nearly 1,000,000 units from May 2008...

GTA IV launched at the end of April 2008 and so did Mario Kart Wii in the U.S.....Wii sales were up over 300% in the first week: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39572/USA/ Really not a good comparison. And look at May 2000, way lower than this year.

GTAIV didn't do anything for X360 / PS3 hw sales, they were both mediocre to bad until 2009. April 2008 was four consoles selling better than X360 sold this month (yes, including PS2)

Maybe you should check the link, PS3 and X360 were up 70%-80% the first week and the Wii over 300%.

So is there still no other info or is the title just not updated? -_-

NintendoPie said:
So is there still no other info or is the title just not updated? -_-

Boring month, did you read the 10 posts before yours though? It is a pretty short thread, and I think that info sums up the month.

RolStoppable said:
binary solo said:

It's not about games, it's about utility and budgets. Shall I get a tablet, which has X,Y,Z uses that are useful in my life, oh and it plays fun casual games, which are fun? Or shall I get a console which plays games and does some other stuff which is less useful in my life and can all be done on devices I already own or on a tablet? Or shall I get both? Hmmm can't afford both, I like motion gaming and social gaming but I already have a Wii, so tablet it is.

If I was part of that blue ocean (and I fancied a tablet) then that would very much be my line of thinking. I would almost certaily buy a tablet over a console if I could only buy one, especially if I already had a Wii. Those blue ocean folks are not invested in having the latest and greatest console, and they're less influenced by shinier visuals, better AI, and cool particle effects. There's actually not a lot of perceived value in dropping $350 for a WiiU. No more than there is perceived value in having a $500 KinectBox which is basically a universal remote contol device with some apps.

It is about games. People buy consoles to play games. The perceived value of a console comes from the games it plays and how much the console and the games cost.

The problem with your line of thinking is that it assumes some kind of purchase must be made (many people who can afford consoles don't buy them). The other problem is that your line of thinking can be applied to the last two decades between home consoles and PCs. So why did consoles sell despite PCs having X, Y, Z uses? The answer can only be the games.

You're thinking like a gamer. Your historical precedent is based on the fact that almost 100% of people buying consoles think like you, therefore they did as you have done: buy a console every generation. That's not how Nitendo's blue ocean thinks.

Perhaps as much as 50% of people who bought a Wii, and maybe 10% of people who bought a 360+Kinect, were not gamers when they bought a Wii/360+K, and they are still not really gamers to the extent that they have bought into the concept of upgrading to a new console cyclically. So these people already have a Wii or a 360. But maybe they don't have a tablet yet. Thinking as an occasional player of casual/social video games are you going to be inclined to buy another console to get what you perceive to be more or less the same experience, or are you going to buy a tablet to get other gaming and non-gaming experiences, which you perceive (mostly correctly) to be somewhat different to what you get on console?

I'm picking tablet wins that decision battle at least 75% of the time.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix