By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Winning 2008 Console!!!!

We know Wii will win every month.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
the is not a good comparison, because the PS3/360 do not compete with the Wii.

It's like if I threw Cell phones in this thread that can play Java based games. In the end, you would have Cell phones with 12 points, yet it would mean nothing to Sony, MS, or Nintendo.

Nintendo has no competition for it's market. It's why it's selling ungodly well.

Absolutely. Also, Blu-Ray doesn't compete with DVD and the PSP doesn't compete with the DS.

I had a post in here somewhere asking the question about how many people wanted an HD console and got a Wii, and then was satisfied with it, and also asked how many people wanted a Wii and got an HD console, and was satisfied about it.

It got a lot of responses, and no one said the above ever happened. If you want a Wii, it's because it provides you with something the others don't have, and vise versa. No one sits down and says.

Just because they all plug into a TV, does not make them the same thing. My Ipod plays games. It doesn't make it a DS or PSP.

More interesting would be how many months will 360+Ps3 beat Wii? In both software and Hardware (each in separate sections)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

TheRealMafoo said:
NJ5 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

It's like if I threw Cell phones in this thread that can play Java based games. In the end, you would have Cell phones with 12 points, yet it would mean nothing to Sony, MS, or Nintendo.

Nintendo has no competition for it's market. It's why it's selling ungodly well.

Absolutely. Also, Blu-Ray doesn't compete with DVD and the PSP doesn't compete with the DS.

I had a post in here somewhere asking the question about how many people wanted an HD console and got a Wii, and then was satisfied with it, and also asked how many people wanted a Wii and got an HD console, and was satisfied about it.

It got a lot of responses, and no one said the above ever happened. If you want a Wii, it's because it provides you with something the others don't have, and vise versa. No one sits down and says.

Just because they all plug into a TV, does not make them the same thing. My Ipod plays games. It doesn't make it a DS or PSP.

And what exactly does that have to do with competition? No matter how much you want to believe otherwise, the Wii is competing directly against the PS3 and the 360, in two ways:

- customer purchases (most people won't buy two consoles)

- game developer's resources (they have to be divided among the different consoles)

Just because a certain segment of the Wii's market wouldn't have bought any of the other consoles, that doesn't mean the Wii doesn't compete with them. Besides, polling people at a site like vgchartz like you did isn't going to get you any accurate readings of the gaming market.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

TheRealMafoo said:

I do wonder, do you know much about the video game industry?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

And what exactly does that have to do with competition? No matter how much you want to believe otherwise, the Wii is competing directly against the PS3 and the 360, in two ways:

- customer purchases (most people won't buy two consoles)

- game developer's resources (they have to be divided among the different consoles)

Just because a certain segment of the Wii's market wouldn't have bought any of the other consoles, that doesn't mean the Wii doesn't compete with them. Besides, polling people at a site like vgchartz like you did isn't going to get you any accurate readings of the gaming market.

Ok, well java based games, and the PSP DS take game developers resources (as well as the PC), so lets throw all of them in this composition.

If people wont's buy two consoles, let's throe the PS2 in the mix, as that is still selling very well.

My IPod has EA games on it, so that should go in there too...

In the end, you could put 10 things in the list, and if you threw PC's in there, it would win all 12 months. That does not mean anything to Sony with respect to PSP sales.

I would guess that if you gave ever 360 and PS3 owner a Wii with every game, right before they were going to purchase the 360 or PS3, they would buy it anyway.

These products just don't compete for the same people. We disagree on this it seems, and can go back and forth arguing about it if you like, but it's probably pointless :) 

TheRealMafoo said:

These products just don't compete for the same people.

What evidence do you have for that?

Let's take the existing PS2 userbase as a market segment (a big one as you know). Don't you think that some of the people in that group will upgrade to the Wii, and some other ones will upgrade to the PS3 or 360?

NJ5 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

These products just don't compete for the same people.

What evidence do you have for that?

Let's take the existing PS2 userbase as a market segment (a big one as you know). Don't you think that some of the people in that group will upgrade to the Wii, and some other ones will upgrade to the PS3 or 360?

This is a generalization (so obviously I don't mean all).

I think all the people who bought the PS2 at full price, in the first year, probably went the way of the PS3 or 360. The users that spent under $200 for it later in its life (and this is more then half of the PS2 sales) could go both ways. The numbers prove this out, as the ps3+360 numbers are much better then the ps2+xbox numbers for this point in there lives.

I also think the people who go from a PS2 to a Wii, would probably have not bought a 360 or PS3 until it's under $200. And when it gets to the $150 mark and each has over 1000 games, they are going to buy one even if they bought the Wii.

So in all above scenarios I laid out, the Wii and the PS3/360 don't compete of market share. Again, this is all assumption, but I think it's how it's going to play out.

TheRealMafoo said:

(...) I also think the people who go from a PS2 to a Wii, would probably have not bought a 360 or PS3 until it's under $200. And when it gets to the $150 mark and each has over 1000 games, they are going to buy one even if they bought the Wii. (...)

Even the casual gamers who don't have enough time to invest in two consoles?

Tell me why the people who bought a single console during the last generation, would buy two during this one. Any particular reason why they'd need two consoles this time?

umm...this seems pointless but honestly, it'll most likely be:

Wii: 12
PS3: 0
Xbox 360: 0

cause the Wii is absolutely destroying every other console (except DS) so unless all the Wii production plants are shut down, Wii has won