By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Winning 2008 Console!!!!

Wii will win every month.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Tell me why the people who bought a single console during the last generation, would buy two during this one. Any particular reason why they'd need two consoles this time?

I don't know, let's assume it's the PS3, and it's $149.. For that price, you get:

BD Player

HD resolution (for web browsing)

HD gaming with MSG4, GT5, LBP, GTA4 (and probably another GTA by then), FFXIII and verses, Sing Star, along with 100 good games that are on both the 360 and PS3, but not on the Wii, and probably 50 great exclusives we don't even know about yet.

You get 120gig+ of HD space for music. You can watch youtube videos.

MS Home (probably going yo be more fun for casual gamers) 

Now, there is a huge percentage of Wii owners that have never bought a console, and probably never well again, but for all the people who have owned a non Nintendo console in the past, if you don't think the above advantages are wroth $150, your selling Wii owners short.  

TheRealMafoo said:
NJ5 said:

Tell me why the people who bought a single console during the last generation, would buy two during this one. Any particular reason why they'd need two consoles this time?

I don't know, let's assume it's the PS3, and it's $149.. For that price, you get:

BD Player

HD resolution (for web browsing)

HD gaming with MSG4, GT5, LBP, GTA4 (and probably another GTA by then), FFXIII and verses, Sing Star, along with 100 good games that are on both the 360 and PS3, but not on the Wii, and probably 50 great exclusives we don't even know about yet.

MS Home (probably going yo be more fun for casual gamers)

Now, there is a huge percentage of Wii owners that have never bought a console, and probably never well again, but for all the people who have owned a non Nintendo console in the past, if you don't think the above advantages are wroth $150, your selling Wii owners short.

So what you're saying is that the Wii is going to delay the purchase of PS3s and 360s, or even prevent it from happening for people who don't care about the things you listed (I can guarantee there are many). That delay does hurt MS & Sony, in that those people will buy less software for those consoles, since they'll have them for a shorter time.

Sounds like you admit that the Wii is in fact competing with the PS3 and the 360. Feel free to think otherwise, but I think that our little discussion has shown that competition exists.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I don't know about the month to month... but Wii is going to win overall. Unless the others drop their prices in... everything. (Systems and games.)

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

NJ5 said:

Sounds like you admit that the Wii is in fact competing with the PS3 and the 360. Feel free to think otherwise, but I think that our little discussion has shown that competition exists.

No, I am saying that one day they will. When that day comes we can talk about sales, and stack them up against each other. Until then, it's pointless.

Around the Network

@TheRealMafoo
If the PS3 was only $149, it wouldn't have all that stuff. So your argument doesn't work. (Also you can watch youtube videos on the wii, not just the PS3)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
TheRealMafoo said:
NJ5 said:

I don't know, let's assume it's the PS3, and it's $149.. For that price, you get:

BD Player

HD gaming with MSG4, GT5, LBP, GTA4 (and probably another GTA by then), FFXIII and verses, Sing Star, along with 100 good games that are on both the 360 and PS3, but not on the Wii, and probably 50 great exclusives we don't even know about yet.

Now, there is a huge percentage of Wii owners that have never bought a console, and probably never well again, but for all the people who have owned a non Nintendo console in the past, if you don't think the above advantages are wroth $150, your selling Wii owners short.  

BD Player may or may not add value.  In the next few years we'll find out if Blu ray is a niche product or if it can take a substantial portion of market from DVD/downloadable.  And if it does, you'll be able to get a blu ray player for $50 by the time the PS3 is $150. 

HD gaming with blah blah blah.  I may get a PS3 at some point because I'm a hardcore gamer and I bought two consoles last gen.  But most people were not under the delusion that the above games would come to the Wii.  They knew if they wanted them, they would have to get a PS3, and they still chose Wii.  Plus, I'm 10 games in the hole for the Wii.  With the way third parties are jumping onboard, I'll probably be 25 games in the hole for the Wii by the end of the year.  So my options would be, pick up a PS3 and 3 games or pick up 12 games for the Wii that I've wanted for a while.  Most people aren't going to make the jump.

My computer has 900 gigs of harddrive available and I'll need to upgrade that within a couple of years.  As such, the only thing 120 gigs leaves me with is wanting.  And everything plays You-tube videos.  I would still prefer them on my computer where the interface is better.

And I think if the PS3 was $150 now, it would probably be worth it and I'd buy it.  But.. it's not.  And by the time it is, the Wii may have completed quenched my thirst for gaming.  And even if a person thinks it is worth it, $150 addition dollars is still quite a bit to drop on entertainment.  It goes back to an anology that my teacher said.  If they were selling 50 lbs of dog food for 25c would it be worth it?  Yeah, that is one heck of a deal.  But, I don't have a dog, so what am I going to do with it?  So, yeah a PS3 may be worth $150, but what do I care when I have my 40-50 Wii games taking up my time?

Just give the wii a point for March right now.

TheRealMafoo said:
NJ5 said:

BD Player

That is an interesting list. BD player, HD resolution, and HD gaming are all meaningless to me since I have a SDTV. If I were to buy a BD player it will be when they cost about $40 which is how much I spent on my DVD player. HD for web browsing makes absolutely no sense to me though. If I want to browse the web, I will just use my computer. A web browser on a gaming console is just dumb.

Speaking of computers replacing features we come your hard drive arguement. If I want to listen to music I will use my stereo system or my iPod. My TV doesn't have a great sound system set-up to it so it wouldn't help me at all. If I did though I would just set-up my stero to share the speakers making it as effective as my TV. Home is an interesting arguement, but then so would the Sims and Second Life. Second Life also has the established user base already.

Sorry, I just don't think your list is worth $150. Not even close really. By the time the PS3 is $150 (if that ever happens) the PS4 wil be out. You over estimate the value of a lot of tech junky features for the average Joe. The super awesome gadgets normally don't become main-stream because most people don't have a use for a lot of it. This hurts the PS3 because the Wii is main-stream and is competing directly against it.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

TheRealMafoo said:
the is not a good comparison, because the PS3/360 do not compete with the Wii.

It's like if I threw Cell phones in this thread that can play Java based games. In the end, you would have Cell phones with 12 points, yet it would mean nothing to Sony, MS, or Nintendo.

Nintendo has no competition for it's market. It's why it's selling ungodly well.

How's the view from under that rock.