By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2007: Really the Year of the Gamer

Thinking about the two threads in regard to Nintendo's lineup and the thread about the psp's lineup, and looking at all the systems, I'm realizing this year really won't be about any one system. 2007 is sort of like a perfect storm of the gaming world. No year ever before had so many major sequals launched in a 12 month window like this. Think about it we have:

1. FF
  2. MGS
  3. Halo
  4. Mario
  5. Smash Bros.
  6. Pokemon
  7. Metroid
  8. C&C
  9. GTA
  10. Zelda
  11. God of War
  12. Monster Hunter
  13. Dragon Quest

I mean come on what's bigger then GTA, Pokemon, Mario, Smash Bros, Halo and FF? They are all monster Million sellers and they are all landing on 2007. What makes this crazier is we aren't just getting these games but tons of extras, like Halo 3 and Halo Wars, FF with tactics, Revenant wings, crisis core, Crystal chronicles... Pokemon with pokemon revolution. Zelda tp(this year for the GC and phantom hourglass for the DS) God of War for ps2 and the other for psp. This is simply huge!!!!

Not to even mention the minion of new franchises that are bound to be huge like: Mass Effect, heavenly Sword, Lair, Halo Wars, Lost Odyessy, Blue Dragon, Little Big Planet, Home, and Too Human. And is Rachet and Clank scheduled for this year? And there was some other smaller sequels like Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Stiker, Stuntman, Killzone, Burnout, Forza 2, Project Gotham Racing 4, Spiderman 3.

Honestly the only thing that could make 2007 bigger is if Nintendo had Animal Crossing and Mario Kart ready, if Sony had Gran Turismo 5 ready, and if EA popped out Sims 3. But without that no other year ever had this many franchises launch sequels. With that said you can call this the year of the sequels for that matter with spiderman, Pirates, Shrek, Bourne, Fantatic Four, Harry Potter, Rush Hour, National Treasure. Not to mention continued franchises like Transformers, and the Simpsons. all in the movies.

And as a side note, don't get crazy if I forgot to name a few games, I'm sure I did, I just was going off the top of my head. So you can name them if you want, either way the point is made, this year we are all winners.

Around the Network

It does seem to be that all systems are attempting to load up their guns for a full force salvo for the holiday season.

In regards to the long term of the gaming industry, I can only hope that with all the big hits coming out this year, that many surprises await us in the future.

If drought of good games occurs, due to the blitzkrieg of them this year, this could prove to be very bad for the industry as a whole; Especially, if there are new gamers adopting videogames this gen.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Good, strong competition will lead to better games for us. But i feel like 2008 will be much bigger, right now the consoles are just getting started.

hopefully then, 2008 would be the year of new IPs.

i freakin' want new IPs! 

(for a selfish reason--i get motion sickness so easily i skip pretty much all the games with any 3D stuff... which is like all the big guns, and 95% of the rest.  so at least new IPs give me hope )

the Wii is an epidemic.

Yeah 2008'll be just fine. We already know the PS3 is getting 2 FFs with one being FFXIII, White Knight Story, and GT5. Also, a couple of Fall 2007 titles are bound to slip into 2008 (Nintendo, I'm looking at you).

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

It's gettin sicker every year... Every year i want more games and it keeps gettin better :D...

This year i have to have:

-Pokémon Diamond/pearl.

-Dragon quest IX.

-Tales of DS...

-FF 12... Revenant wings.

-Mario Galaxy.

-Metroid prime 3.

-Super smash bros: Brawl.

-Resident evil 4.

-No more heroes.

-SSX: Blur.

-Halo 3.

-GTA IV.

-Mass Effect.

-Too Human.

And because i don't own any Sony systems doesn't mean i don't want their games... They have a huge line-up too! PSP is best softwareline-up since... ever?! Revering too: GoW Chains of Olympus and others... And PS3... Mwah, has got some nice big games like lair or heavenly swords, or LittleBigPlanet?!... (Not really something that can compete with Microsoft or Nintendo, 'cmon lets be for real..., its the truth'  but 08 is gonna be big for Sony with FF XIII and MGS4...)    

THE NETHERLANDS

you forgot Half-Life 2 Ep.2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Crysis. How could a gamer not fall in love for Portal or Team Fortress 2?

DoesWhatNintenDont said:

It does seem to be that all systems are attempting to load up their guns for a full force salvo for the holiday season.

In regards to the long term of the gaming industry, I can only hope that with all the big hits coming out this year, that many surprises await us in the future.

If drought of good games occurs, due to the blitzkrieg of them this year, this could prove to be very bad for the industry as a whole; Especially, if there are new gamers adopting videogames this gen.

I think 2008 will also be a very good year for gaming. The first couple of months will be filled with delayed games as well as others.

These are the best I can think of;

Ace Combat VI: Fires of Liberation (PS3)

FF XIII games (various)

Tom Clancy's End War (PS3, 360)

MGS 4 (PS3)

God of War 3 (PS3)

GTA IV Downloadable content

GTA PSP next

Jak: The Lost Frontier (PS3)

Daxter 2 (PSP) 

New Kingdom Hearts games

Resistance next (PS3 and PSP)

Just Cause 2 (PS3, 360)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3, 360)

Overall it is clear that gaming is simply going to get better and better as time goes on.

(N.B. I'm sure that there are games coming to non-PS platforms, but I do not know much about any of them) 

add me

Lingyis said:

hopefully then, 2008 would be the year of new IPs.

i freakin' want new IPs!

(for a selfish reason--i get motion sickness so easily i skip pretty much all the games with any 3D stuff... which is like all the big guns, and 95% of the rest. so at least new IPs give me hope )

I am with you on that. New IP that I enjoy always makes me happy. Steambot chroncles, radiata stories, golden sun and a few others were pleasant surprises.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Staticneuron, I saw a comment from you on digg randomly! ...just felt like saying so...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )