By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - For the nintendo and sony fanboys!

I thought it would be a good idea to list five cons of ur choosen console and 5 pros of ur rival console.
 i freely admit to being a bit of a nintendo fanboy mayself, dont get me wrong i like playstation, i mean i have a ps1, ps2 and psp. so here goes.

nintendo wii
1.underpowered
2.control method my alienate ppl
3.'kiddie' games
4.little 3rd party support
5.too many ps2 ports

playstation 3
1.powerful
2.large 3rd party support
3.established franchise
4.downloadable ps1 games
5.familar control system.

phew... believe me that wasnt easy. plz ppl im interested in ur pros for ur 'rival' console and cons for ur console of choice. btw sorry microsoft fanboys, i just thought it would be simpler to exclude you! lol

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

sounds like a good idea. I wonder what Hus would say if he were still around =) Nintendo: 1. Wiimote isn't as good at picking movement and position as I'd have hoped 2. Broken online system 3. Underpowered 4. Pointer could be improved (No global pointer settings to match the pointer with where you are pointing, also, no automatic adjustment of sensitivity of IR sensors) 5. Region Encoded PS3: 1: Region Free 2: Runs Linux 3: Rechargeable batteries 4: More effort with downloadable games 5: Built in Hard Drive interestingly, it was a struggle coming up with the 5 PS3 pros, but it was also a struggle keeping the list of Wii cons down to 5 ;) I suppose I'm just a cynical bastard.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I'm going to talk about the things I would have done differently with the Wii as compared to the things I would have kept the same (or similar) with the PS3, because the pros and cons of each of the systems is pretty obvious.

With the Wii I would have increased the processing power across the board while not (really) changing the focus on keeping development costs down. If the GPU was able to handle (roughly) twice as many polygons per second, with (roughly) twice the texture data, and render at 720p/1080i (and Nintendo continued to ignore programmable shaders) you would be able to share far more graphical assets between the Wii and the PS3/XBox 360 while keeping cost increases to a minimum level for exclusive Wii development. I would probably have also used a modified Power PC 970MP processor running at 1.0GHz to 1.5GHz as the CPU to give some extra power for physics and animation. Overall, the system would not be much more expensive to produce and should remain in a similar power consumption range but would sit (in processing power) far closer to half way between the previous generation and the current generation.

On the PS3 (besides adding rumble) I probably wouldn't modify the controller. I believe that the Wiimote is the way of the future (and when it is revised with the Wii-2 it will be nearly perfect) the PS3/XBox 360 controllers are still valid for most games and are still very good controllers for some games.

Wii has enough 3th party support... Look at the 07 announcements...

THE NETHERLANDS

Nice thread and topic. 5 things I don't like about the Wii: 1. Sensor Bar range not far enough 2. Not able to support 720p or 1080i 3. Did not come with component cables 4. No online game play 5. um... and region encoded! Stole that one from above but it's still sucky. 5 things I like about the PS3: 1. It's damn powerful 2. Good 3rd party support from the start. 3. Online Game Play 4. Downloadable PSone games 5. It can cook a steak if the grill goes down! That was fun.

http://www.subodesign.com

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Ghost Squad, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play
Around the Network

Starcraft you could've at least tried to participate...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

What bugs me with Wii 1. Crappy online-service(Virtual Console is brilliant though) 2. The kiddieimage 3. Region-lock 4. Nintendo of Europe don't care 5. Looked at as a console for casual gamers only by 3rd parties Good things about PS3: 1. Region Free 2. Great 3rd party support 3. Rechargeable batteries 4. Online with great potential 5. If BD wins you have a good Blu-Ray

Wii

1. Underpowered
2. Graphics chip can't handle anything above 480p
3. Current game offering is favoring party games
4. Online is underdeveloped
5. With any Nintendo console, software delays

PS3

1. Potential of Cell
2. With less RAM for the GPU, 1st gen games still tend to look as good as 2nd gen 360 games
3. Great 1st and 2nd party support, as well as 3rd parties
4. Potential of Home
5. Potential of Blu-ray utilization

Another point I wish to make about the Wii. It is more powerful than the PS2, but developers aren't taking advantage of this, which is a big minus. With games as good looking as God of War 2, the Wii should be pushing out some gorgeous games. I don't want Nintendo developers to be the only ones maxing this baby out.

With PS3, if the Cell is as good as some Sony developers are saying, we could see some epic sized games coming out that are beautiful. Time will tell. 

Stupid stuff with the Wii.

1. Cruddy online service

2. Slightly overpriced VC games.

3. Lack of a demo channel

4. Lack of great games after launch

5. It's difficult to get the wiimote to sync with the Wii.

Great things about the PS3

1. Cool demoes available via PS Shop

2. Well designed controller with tilt functions

3. Beautiful graphics

4. Some great exclusives coming this fall.

5. Cheap Blu Ray player. 

Don't take this as a fanboy's defense - take it as an educated statement - but Nintendo's online is purposefully weak. They're working on building it up to perfection. This year, there's going to be very limited support for the fact that they don't want to put much weight on it yet. At the current moment in time, they're allowing anybody to do online support, but very limited support because they want this thing done right. Just wait until 2008. I expect that online support will skyrocket come April '08. Anyhow, my list. 1. Cost of accessories 2. Improper usage of Wiimote in early games by developers 3. Cost of VC games 4. Limited options for gamesaving, VC game storage (can't save on other forms of media and still use direct from that - if something's saved on an SD card, you can't use it until you copy it back, and you can't use USB flashdrives at all yet) 5. Gamecube backwards compatibility issues (can't use Classic Controllers, can't save games on Wii System Memory or SD cards, can't use Home button to return to Wii Menu or Reset the game, etc) And one more, since it's one of my biggest complaints but also one that shouldn't matter for long: 6. No keyboard for Opera browser (likely to be released fairly soon, especially since online support will be stepped-up) Strongpoints of the PS3? 1. Powerful - capable of doing a lot of stuff, at least in computing terms 2. Currently the most affordable Blu-Ray player, if you're interested in Blu-Ray 3. Established "Playstation" reputation and support 4. Larger built-in storage space 5. Uh... good paperweight? Since I couldn't care less about being "region free", that doesn't strike me a bit as an issue to be concerned with.