By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: "You can have 6 consoles, with 6 games being played by 6 people

This machine is Gamestops worst nightmare lol.

They want to restrict used games but yet you can have 10 people all share the same copy, really counter productive.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
*6 different games.....

That is still Huge!!

The fact that this thread has this many replies is the entire problem. This shouldn't have to be explained or figured out. It should be this simple:

Physical - Take game disc. Put game in disc drive. Play under any account on system. Do what you want with disc thereafter.
Digital - Download game. Play under any account on system.

It should be this simple because consumers expect it to be this simple, and there's no reason it shouldn't be this simple. Sony and Nintendo understand that.

I......what?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Adinnieken said:
artur-fernand said:
I swear to god I have no idea how this "share system" works. It's so complicated to understand, and it doesn't help that Microsoft is unable to explain EXACTLY how it is

Like this:

Primary & Secondary Consoles:

Any console you have logged in is a secondary console.  The console you're currently logged into is your primary console.

Anyone who has signed into one of the same primary or secondary consoles has complete access to your games library.  They can play the game at the same time you can play the game.  They have access to your DLC.

Family Group:

Any person you set as a "Family" group member has access to your games library and DLC.  However, if another "Family" group member is playing the game, they will be restricted from playing it.

Scenarios:

You and your best friend regularly play on each other's Xbox One console.  His library is available to you, and your library is available to him.  The caveat is if he's playing a game off your games library or you're playing one off his, the console will have to check in every hour.  When you access someone else's game's library (their secondary console) your console must phone home.

You have a friend you play frequently enough online and you add that person to your Family group.  That person can access any game in your game library that isn't currently being played by anyone else in the Family group.  So if you have 10 Family group members and nine games in your game library, the 10th member of your Family group won't be able to play any of your games.

To continue with the above scenario.  If you have one console in your primary residence, and you are signed in and playing one of your 9 games, 9 of your "Family" group members can also play one of your nine games.

To continue with the above scenario again.  If you have three consoles in your house, one you and three others are playing on, and the other two with 8 other people signed-in and playing the same game, the 9 Family group members can keep playing their game.

What cannot happen is no two Family group members can play the same game from your games library.

Recap: 

Primary console - The console you are currently logged into.  Only phones home once, every 24 hours.

Secondary console - A console that you have previously logged into.  Phones home every hour if it is accessing your games library.

Any person signed into a secondary console or into your primary console at the same time as you, can access your games library.

Family group members - Can access any of your games, however no two family group members can access the same game at the same time.

That's not an unneccessary and confusing proccess at all.

*SARCASM

Around the Network

wait...6 different games...? this thing is confusing

BinaryDelt said:
The fact that this thread has this many replies is the entire problem. This shouldn't have to be explained or figured out. It should be this simple:

Physical - Take game disc. Put game in disc drive. Play under any account on system. Do what you want with disc thereafter.
Digital - Download game. Play under any account on system.

It should be this simple because consumers expect it to be this simple, and there's no reason it shouldn't be this simple. Sony and Nintendo understand that.

I think you missed the point of this thread

Hmm..This doesn't sound so bad to me anymore. I'm still confused about it all but if this is legit then this may be a huge win for gamers. I've already pre ordered a ps4, but I'll follow this closely and may switch after learning more.

ok thats it... me and 100 of my "family" will enjoy this...
yeah used game business is destroying the gaming world... but not this....

starcraft said:

Seperately Microsoft have confirmed that for any one physical disk, the disk's owner will be able to play the game, and one of their ten family members will be able to play the digital share copy at the same time.

So if you have a sharing situation set up with say one friend, you have literally just halved the cost of your games across the entire generation (assuming you have the same taste in games).

In a pool of ten, five people could purchase the game and then all ten of you could play that game online simultaneously.

This is a huge advantage over Sony's offering (notwithstanding the disadvantages that come with it in terms of required connections).

I agree that it would be huge, but that's because some of you are clearly not paying attention.

Microsoft is not making a policy where one of every ten users only needs to purchase a game. They are not adding DRM, 24hr check-ins, very restrictive used sales with 30day mandatory live friendships and so on, just to allow you to have groups of 10users where only one person ever needs to buy a game wordwide.

Its just not happening. You're dilusional.

They are trying to soften the blow as they transition you all from physical copies you own, can share freely and sale freely to digital distribution where you rent a copy for the life of the console and can't share or resell. This is the halfway point.

So they are adding many digital restrictions but also adding some sharing features.

One of those is the ability to create essentially a "family" circle of ten individuals. In that group you'll be able to share your library and if they add you to their ten group, you can share their library. However, it follows the same basic principles as if you were all sharing a disc. Meaning only one console can play the game at a time.

Its pretty fucking obvious and its exactly what the OP quote is saying. ("6 different people, 6 different consoles, 6 different games")

I'm going to laugh come December (or earlier as final language comes out in TOS) when you all realize this very simple premise. You only bought ONE copy of the game and in real life you cannot simultaneously play that ONE copy of the game on two different consoles. You just can't. Try it with any disc game you have. Please, because if you can get it to work, it would be awesome to know how to do.