By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: "You can have 6 consoles, with 6 games being played by 6 people

Originally, Sony would allow you to "activate" up to 5 consoles with one account. This allowed you to install a digital copy on each one of those consoles, and play simultaneously. The idea behind it was to mimic what you could do with physical discs and share with family members inside your house or friends close to you. Unfortunately, people started creating dummy accounts and sharing them, so that everyone would pitch in 1/5 of the cost of a game and share. When this started getting out of hand (there were forums dedicated to game sharing), Sony reduced the limit to 2, but at the same time they made it easy to activate / deactivate the two consoles that had access to your library.

Microsoft's official stance on licensing is as follows:

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Unless those statements were poorly worded, my interpretation is as follows:

It says you can ALWAYS play your games - which implies that the main account is never locked out. It also says you and any ONE of your family members can be playing from your library at a given time - which to me implies that one other person can play any of your games (including the same game as you) at the same time.

This would make it similar to what Sony offers, as it would allow 2 copies of a game to be played at the same time.

I think it is doubtful that Microsoft would allow 10 copies of a game to be played at the same time. Even if they do allow this at the start, it would quickly be shut down due to complaints from developers / publishers.

Around the Network

I read somewhere how companies were complaining about the money they were losing from used game sales. Swings and rounabouts, my friends, swings and rounabouts.

That said, the basic principle of this is a good idea. It's just their way of allowing people to share a game.

Hmm, pie.

kowenicki said:

Do all these people (I believe you mention 1m) who share your physical games live in the same house as you? 

Because they effectively do under this method.

Stop trying to make this cloud share the same as lending a physical disk... it just isnt and to say it is is rather silly.

My brother lives 200 miles away from me, from now on we wont be buying the same games, we will share games. I just saved myself a ton of money.

Now... I will also include a few of my friends.  More money saved.  How is this bad in any way?

Never said it was bad. Our discussion has centered on simultaneous play of the same game. Which is why I used the physical game now scenario.

Serious_frusting said:
What they are saying is that two people can not play the same game at the same time. Simple as that. They are just wording it awkwardly.

A few days ago they said that 2 people could play the same game at the same time. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I find it fascinating that people who don't understand the system completely are "Xbox haters".
Look at how many responses this thread had. You're honestly gonna tell me that every single person here is an Xbox hater? Isn't it easier to admit that, no, it's not a proccess as simple as "finding your way home"?

Around the Network

Well that makes things clearer!

artur-fernand said:
I swear to god I have no idea how this "share system" works. It's so complicated to understand, and it doesn't help that Microsoft is unable to explain EXACTLY how it is

Only really seems to get complicated if you try to poke holes in it to say "See it is all a scam"

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Nsanity said:

uh oh

Looks like MS is slightly stepping back from their wholly restrictive policy. Haven't really learned their lesson, they just dont want to tear down the infrastructure.