By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you glad or disappointed Retro´s Wii U game is another DKC?

F0X said:
I find it odd to see people say that this isn't a game Retro should do when DKCR was by far their most successful game.

Yep. As much as I'd love a new Retro Metroid, DKCR sold six million. Way better than any Metroid ever.

Can't blame Nintendo for putting Retro on another smash hit rather than working to make an obscure critical darling.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Slightly disappointed. Hopefully this is not the only titles they are working on, as the Wii U seriously needs their own FPS title. Be it another Metroid or a completely new IP based FPS.

pokeclaudel said:
I'm extremely frustrated. What notable difference is there with this game? It's such a waste of talent. This could have been outsourced to some other team and bet nobody could have spotted the difference

Great mechanics and level design are fundamental to a great platformer. The Yoshi's Island games are a perfect example of how these things take a crap ton more skill to make than simply slapping a new coat of paint on them.

Although dissapointed i will mention that this game is coming out this november. Anything else announced would have had a 2014 release date or later.

IamAwsome said:

"Crowning Achievement" my ass

Chandler said:

Disappointing conference. The games look good but they are all rehashes. No new IP at all. They wasted so much time to discuss little differences.

This is Mario but he now has a cat costume.
This is Mario Kart but now you can drive on walls.
This is Bayonetta but now she has short hair.
This is Donkey Kong but now he has fluffy fur.

No shit Sherlock, we could see that in the trailer before, no point wasting another 5 minutes pointing this shit out.

I have probably never seen Nintendo struggle this much coming up with new ideas.

I feel like Nintendo is completely out of ideas of how to advance with the Wii U.

But I'm also not paying for online so I guess I am stuck with them and PC.

Edit: On the bright side - 5 player co-op for The Wonderful 101, awesome!

Metrium said:
Could'nt be more disapointed. A total waste of talent. I was wondering why we kept hearing about some talented ppl leaving Retro. Now I wonder no more.

Retro is capable of making great hardcore games with immersive worlds and good story. And Nintendo ask them to give us a 2D platformer?! DKCR was 3years ago, DKCR3D was a month ago!!!!! What the hell is wrong with them? This is the biggest waste of talent I've seen since M$ bought Rare.

Then what? When Monolith is done with X they will ask them to make a Kirby game?! DAMN I'M SO DISAPOINTED.

Last year I was super disapointed with Nintendo because of the lack of Retro, but atleast last year I could still wonder/dream/hope on what they were working on. Now it's over, 3years of silence from the studio who gave me my favorite trilogie of all time just for a 2D platformer so I can forget my Retro made Metroid, Star Fox or new IP for atleast the next 3to5years.
teigaga said:

So disappointed. Nintendo really dropped the ball

Its looks like its on the wii, but I'm sure it plays great and the music is amazing, but Retro are destined for more. Even if they have another title on the side, it was big mistake to not have the team focus on that exclusively. They need hard hitters, DK is not one of them, I'm struggling to justify a Wii U purchase this year. I want to play Pikmin 3 and windwaker but I may just wait till smash bros or mario kart comes out. The wii U will be outsold by the ps4 by march 2014, mark my words.

wfz said:
I'm disappointed. Rare has so much more potential than this.

Or maybe it's us fans pretending like the studio has more potential when it doesn't... I don't know.. but I expected more.

I think these qoutes describes it best!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Metrium said:
Could'nt be more disapointed. A total waste of talent. I was wondering why we kept hearing about some talented ppl leaving Retro. Now I wonder no more.

Retro is capable of making great hardcore games with immersive worlds and good story. And Nintendo ask them to give us a 2D platformer?! DKCR was 3years ago, DKCR3D was a month ago!!!!! What the hell is wrong with them? This is the biggest waste of talent I've seen since M$ bought Rare.

Then what? When Monolith is done with X they will ask them to make a Kirby game?! DAMN I'M SO DISAPOINTED.

Last year I was super disapointed with Nintendo because of the lack of Retro, but atleast last year I could still wonder/dream/hope on what they were working on. Now it's over, 3years of silence from the studio who gave me my favorite trilogie of all time just for a 2D platformer so I can forget my Retro made Metroid, Star Fox or new IP for atleast the next 3to5years.

I dont agree here. Yes, I believe retro has the talent to create amazing games, but they do because on Nintendo's supervision. Remember that when Retro was bought Nintendo cancelled all the games the have on develpment, and gave them the task to work on metroid, under close supervision from Miyamoto himself an several other nintendo employees... Yes, I wanted something else from retro, but let´s not pretend this is their last game ever... For the hiring info we have, and since they moved to a new and bigger builidng recently we can probably assume that they have another game already on the works...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Maybe this is like Pikmin and is just a up-ported Wii game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Brutally disappointed.

megaman79 said:
turtuls said:
I am happy. Any game from Retro gets me excited. Kind of surprised that people were overjoyed when they announced they were doing it on the Wii but now hate Retro that they are doing a sequel on the Wii U.

First time around it was genuinely exciting and shocking for Retro to do this, second time around we've had years (literally) of rumours about new ip's, and letting them do what they want, etc. We keep telling ourselves that Retro is the new Rare, and Retro will do what Nintendon't, but its a business.

Retro are actually the new Rare, under the control and will power of a massive force (MS), where they do what they're told and they don't have a choice.

QFT!!

Donkey Kong is all nice and dandy, but it won't convince me to buy the actual system!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:
disappointed. Dkcr was a good game, but it's still a 2d platformer. No matter how good the game is there is going to be a level of 1dimesion-ness to it.

You can say that about any genre. Platformers are just running and jumping, FPS games are just shooting, Metroid is just exploring, etc.

i disagree.  Think you might be a little defensive on the subject.  3d modeling was a huge leap in game development and it would be strange to ignore that.  in some ways 2d games end up being a step backward in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, alot of times they're fun as hell and can be great games.  Retro's level design chops are phenominal.  But, a 2d game is only going to be so deep.  If i wanna play one of my older games to kill some time and have some fun i play donkey kong country returns.  If i wanna go on a freaking adventure with intense immersive situations i play metroid prime.  Both great games, but i think it's hard to deny that metroid is the deeper (and longer) game.

2D is not inherently worse than 3D. Some of the best games ever made are 2D.