By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071
mantlepiecek said:
iceland said:
mantlepiecek said:

Are people comparing paying for PS+ and paying for gold? They are vastly different, and plus is ridiculously amazing for somebody who has more than one PS console that supports it.

It is still not a rip-off like gold was and is. People like me who don't like to pay a subscription for anything will have a problem with it.

Are they vastly different?

Both now require a paywall to access multiplayer

Both offer exclusive deals for the service

Now the only difference is that Sony lets you borrow games as long as you have the service

Unless I'm missing something big, for the record I've always been against paying for multiplayer I just find it so jarring that Sony fans are now fine with the argument they've been using since the ps3 came out. Now that gold is getting free games on 360 and if they keep that going into Xbox One, is there much of a difference if any? 

Yeah, they are very different. You get twelve games or something on PS3, and then there discounts, PS Vita games if you have a PS Vita, and on top of that PS4 games. It is not going to be called a rip-off by anyone, that is for sure.

Okay so the "free games" is the only difference. Xbl has discounts (not sure if you knew that). I'm not saying it's a rip-off or trying to call people out. I'm just genuinely surprised that there isn't more of an uproar for the paywall behind MP as I thought a lot of Sony fans were against it, That's all. 

Around the Network

*sigh* The console could have been perfect in pretty much every way. I'll pass.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

wick said:
Well seeing as I've had an xbox live gold account for the past 4 years I won't care whatsoever.

At least I'll own my games

unless you quit ps+ - all the rentals are gone, right?

iceland said:
mantlepiecek said:
iceland said:
mantlepiecek said:

Are people comparing paying for PS+ and paying for gold? They are vastly different, and plus is ridiculously amazing for somebody who has more than one PS console that supports it.

It is still not a rip-off like gold was and is. People like me who don't like to pay a subscription for anything will have a problem with it.

Are they vastly different?

Both now require a paywall to access multiplayer

Both offer exclusive deals for the service

Now the only difference is that Sony lets you borrow games as long as you have the service

Unless I'm missing something big, for the record I've always been against paying for multiplayer I just find it so jarring that Sony fans are now fine with the argument they've been using since the ps3 came out. Now that gold is getting free games on 360 and if they keep that going into Xbox One, is there much of a difference if any? 

Yeah, they are very different. You get twelve games or something on PS3, and then there discounts, PS Vita games if you have a PS Vita, and on top of that PS4 games. It is not going to be called a rip-off by anyone, that is for sure.

Okay so the "free games" is the only difference. Xbl has discounts (not sure if you knew that). I'm not saying it's a rip-off or trying to call people out. I'm just genuinely surprised that there isn't more of an uproar for the paywall behind MP as I thought a lot of Sony fans were against it, That's all. 

The discounts are crazy though. They are there all the time; and during sale the regular PSN guys get some discounts, plus guys get like 20-30% more.

For eg, it is common to see $10 games go on sale and cost $7, plus guys pay something like $4.

Also free games have turned out to be day 1 games in many situations - like stacking upon release on PSN was free for PS+, there have been others like this.

There is no other difference though.

I am still against it. I am sure there are quite a few people who are against it, frankly. It is stupid to charge for online.

As many of you are already talking about XBL, did MS say in detail what XBL on Xbone will be like? Seems many of you already seem to know.

Around the Network

Already have 2 more years of ps+, get 3-4 games every month on two platforms.
I'm pretty sure most of us before agreed that ps+ would probably be required for multiplayer at some point. I think we even expected it at e3 last year.

I already own a wiiu too :)

i don't care for that and also pay for xbox live since 2005 but i really want to see the people who said for years "paying to play online is a joke" or "i would never buy a console where i have to pay for something which has to be free as industry standard".

but many of them will probably say now "well, i already pay for ps+ and it won't cost me more" even when that is not the point thinking about their posts of the last years.

i hope they will also use dedicated servers for everything now, i would happily pay just for that.

Porcupine_I said:

"Sony welcomes XBOX Gamers to PS4 by providing a experience they are comfortable with"

Nice one!

At least they had an entire generation to get used to the idea. Which might also happen with the online/drm restriction Ms implements now. Not so bad for Sony to be sitting on the fence watching Microsofts moves.

walsufnir said:
wick said:
Well seeing as I've had an xbox live gold account for the past 4 years I won't care whatsoever.

yes, and when you pay up again... they're back! ;p

weaveworld said:
walsufnir said:
wick said:

yes, and when you pay up again... they're back! ;p

And when you do not subscribe for half a year, the games that you got for "free" in this time are not available to you, right?