By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071

Even though I'm currently a PS Plus subscriber, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that online multiplayer is now going to be tied to a subscription. I personally enjoyed free online multiplayer because I'm more of a multiplatform gamer (gaming PC and consoles), and sometimes I'll go through months where I'll only play on one platform for awhile (e.g., Skyrim on PC, Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, etc.), and the ability to switch platforms and not have to worry about reactivating subscriptions was a plus for the PS3.

With that said, my biggest concerns regarding the next generation were mandatory online authentications and the ability to borrow/loan games, and Sony managed to allay those concerns.

Around the Network

The only multiplayer game I've ever played was Resistance 2 and I don't see myself playing any in the near future so no skin off my back really, but I've been happily paying for PS+ since day one and will continue to do so :).

It's all about the game.

why would I jump out? I never play online anyway... I just wont pay for it.. 10x better than the one

Bonafide732 said:
Booyah said:
I guess all the Nintendo fans will have to pick up the banner that all the Sony fans are dropping now with the free online.

I paid for a gold account for a few years because all my friends played on Live before my 360 dumped out. It's really not that big of a deal but it is funny to see the Sony fans that were so against Live make a complete 180 on the situation.

Im not doing a complete 180 Im still against it...I stay online on Ps3 so that news sucks but  just glad they got the no DRM right and 399 .. still against paying online but what can I do? stand outside of their office with a sign.. still probably wont be a day one purchase for me anyway made that mistake with ps3 and a 600 plus tax console not making that mistake again unless i know the games that are launch appeal to me

I should probably say that people are rationalizing the new Sony position on online gaming. I saw a lot of people coming down hard on Xbox fans for paying for live, I guess its Nintendo fans turns to champion free online lol.

Most of the games I play don't even have multiplayer, I don't care.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Question: What are the payment options?

Is there an option to join for a month at a time for $5? I'm hear there is, but a full year subscription comes at a discount for $50.

If that's the case, I'm all in. $50 for a couple months of play is too much, but $5-$10 for a month or two? That's fine. I just need a system that works for my gaming habits. (Single Player for 80% off the year).

Jack said: "for less than $5 a month". $49.99 a year

I hope they make a feasible monthly plan, I only play online for a month or two at a time between 6-15 months of offline. So an annual plan doesn't work for me

If there is no short term plan, I'll have to hold off my PS4 purchase to offset this extra fee.

Still, nice to hear PS4 plays retail games forever.

PS + has a 3 month option for like 13 bucks or something.  My friend actually did that to play Monkey Island.  

@OP.  I'm seveely disappointed.  I understand a fee for Destiny, Elder Scroll, or other titles that needs a server for persistant gameplay.  But something like Street Fighter where it can be done P2P, there should be no need for subscription.  This soured the entire conference for me.  Sad cause I don't think I'd actually let my subscription expire since I get so much out of plus, but I am soo disappointed with this.

I wonder if PS+ will remain as good as it is now, though? Now that they are bringing online play as a "feature", that's a reason enough for many to join.

joemanuel222 said:
lol well now sony fanboys accept this because sony is doing it lol
they are the most pathetic of them all.

Theres a difference betweens accepting it and having no choice (im not a PC gamer). I think it sucks, im very pissed off but there's no way I don't play the next gen fighting games online so im stuck. It is the less of two evils as PS Plus carries over to PS3 and Vita (both which I have) so it'll easily pay itself within the year...but it still sucks that I HAVE to.

Actually, because of the share and social features I expected it... that has costs associated to it

joemanuel222 said:
lol well now sony fanboys accept this because sony is doing it lol
they are the most pathetic of them all.

You joined the site just to post this?

How about this: Now that Sony is doing it, M$ fanboys consider it a problem? What happened to you get what you pay for and all the other justifications for XBL gold's price?

PS+ has an obvious justification if you didn't notice. Read the price tag of the console.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler