By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071

It was def pretty sneaky.  I guess at this point, between the two companies, Sony looks like the lesser of two evils.  Now the question becomes, what happens if Microsoft responds by dropping all DRM related items....  HIGHLY unlikely, but what if.

Would make it more interesting.  Only 100 difference.  Both require you to pay for online play.  Neither would have DRM....  Right now DRM is the difference (and to me a big one).

Just seems like this gen will pan out the same way as last, with everyone justifying what Microsoft is doing.  By next gen, Sony will have full DRM too and Microsoft will find yet another way to get in your wallet and control it.  Microsoft keeps upping the profit ante.

Sony feels like the more inepted evil mastermind.

Ms: Pay us or no online play.

Sony: Wait wait wait, you mean we can CHARGE for online play? Why the hell didn't we do that! Lets do that on the next console!

Ms: No used games - draconic DRM to stifle game lending and rental.

Snoy: Damn you Microsoft! Why are you always one step ahead of us?!?? Minion! Next console we're implimenting No used games policy and DRM to boot!

You can bet on that.

Around the Network
Fifaguy360 said:
Im not jumping out because:

1) No drm.
2) $100 less
3) PSNplus enables only multiplayer (+ the xtra goodies)
4) cheaper than XBL
5) You can still subscribe to other services without PSNplus like Netflix etc.

I really wished PSN would stay free, but I don't have a problem paying for it because this console is not anti-gamer like MS/X1.

this

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Miguel_Zorro said:

A lot of us were against Live because you get nothing for your money.  With PS+, you get "free" games included.  I subscribed to plus even though I didn't have to.  How many people would subscribe to Live if it were optional?

I completely agree with this. I got ps+ the month it came out and have been able to try out so many great games that I would've never even thought about getting beforehand. I think I've paid the price of a full price retail game or two for + but have had so many hours of enjoyment because of it.

PS+ stays the same price, I already enjoy PS+, I have no reason not to pay for it, PS4 is everything I wanted it to be and many people agree. Sony had to do this, I'm glad they decided to go this route.

Seing as I love PS plus, this doesn't matter to me.

Around the Network

PS+ pays for itself with all the content that you get.

A year ago it would have pissed me off, and would cry that they are becoming like microsoft, charging for something that should be free. But I signed up for PSN+ 4 months ago, and it's and incredible deal. I have a vita and a PS3, and I get a shitload of free games for both systems for one $50/year fee. And it payed for itself the first month when I got Uncharted and Gravity Rush for the vita in the instant game collection right off the bat, and have downloaded another 10 free games as well. So, what i'm trying to say is if you don't have PSN+ and are disappointed that PS4 will require PSN+, DON'T BE! It rocks, ask if anybody regrets joining PSN+. EVERYONE THINKS IT'S GREAT, AND YOU WILL TOO!

The thing is they are pricing a more powerful console at $100 cheaper, they have to provide servers for multiplayer.... dont be cheap guys... they need to not make too much of a loss you know...lol

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Actually, you can thank Microsoft for this.  They gave Sony the window of opportunity they have been looking for.  No DRM, no DRM, no DRM... and pay for online games.  People still cheer.

"You don't have to be the best, just better than everybody else."

Isn't "the best" mean "better than everybody else"?  Pardon my being curious here about this, but that is what I thought it meant.  You don't need to be perfect though, just better than everyone else.

Kind of a joke and a play on words.  But yeah literally you're right.  Think of it this way...  "The best" would mean you give people everything they want.  But sometime just being better than the other is good enough.

Another example.  The best score might be 100 out of 100.  But if everyone else scores 90 and you score 95... well you get the idea.

mibuokami said:
g911turbo said:
mibuokami said:
Disappointing news, thankfully I do all of my online gaming on the PC so this won't effect me. Still it was sneaky of Sony to sneak this in during the euphoric if $399, DRM-Free and Used game friendly announcements.

It was def pretty sneaky.  I guess at this point, between the two companies, Sony looks like the lesser of two evils.  Now the question becomes, what happens if Microsoft responds by dropping all DRM related items....  HIGHLY unlikely, but what if.

Would make it more interesting.  Only 100 difference.  Both require you to pay for online play.  Neither would have DRM....  Right now DRM is the difference (and to me a big one).

Just seems like this gen will pan out the same way as last, with everyone justifying what Microsoft is doing.  By next gen, Sony will have full DRM too and Microsoft will find yet another way to get in your wallet and control it.  Microsoft keeps upping the profit ante.

Sony feels like the more inepted evil mastermind.

Ms: Pay us or no online play.

Sony: Wait wait wait, you mean we can CHARGE for online play? Why the hell didn't we do that! Lets do that on the next console!

Ms: No used games - draconic DRM to stifle game lending and rental.

Snoy: Damn you Microsoft! Why are you always one step ahead of us?!?? Minion! Next console we're implimenting No used games policy and DRM to boot!

Next next gen is at least 7 years away, we can beat that horse when it lands

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler