By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My new most overrated game ever

Tagged games:

I disliked ICO but I loved SOTC. Hopefully you enjoy it when you start playing it.

Around the Network
Cj2i3 said:
I disagree, but sometimes it can be the expectations you have when going into a game. I had no expectations and thought the game was very good. Did you happen to beat the game or are you just at a part that has you frustrated?

As for SoTC give it a try, if you don't like it Team Ico games just aren't your cup of tea, or you perhaps you were expecting something different.

IM about half way through and every part of the game has frustated me, so most likely wont finish but I hear the games only about 3-4 hours long anyway so may finish for the sake of finishing 

RolStoppable said:
Boutros said:
SotC is great but I can't believe it got green-lighted with those clunky controls. What's up with that?!

It was intentional to make you really immersed with the struggles Wander had to face. You could feel the pain at every moment.

You say that but it's actually true in some parts.

I watched the bonus videos that came with the collection and Fumito said he wanted Agro (the horse) to sometimes not respond to the player's commands because horses in real life don't always respond to commands -.-

What a troll!

It's kind of like when you meet someone who is reading Catch-22 and you ask them what they think and they say something like, "It's OK but I wish there was more fighting". That's how I feel about the OP.

Relative to the time in which Ico was released, it was absolutely brilliant and unique. It changed gaming and was an influence for a lot of people. I played it when it first came out and I'd never come across anything like it.

I can't explain why Ico is special anymore than I can explain why kittens are cure or rainbows are pretty. Either you see it or you don't. Either you feel the connection between Yorda and Ico or you don't. Either your heart breaks at the end or it doesn't. That's just the way it is. All I can say is that playing Ico was one of the more immersive and amazing experiences of my gaming life, and I played it fresh, without the slightest bit of hype.

The reason why I enjoyed Ico is that it is one of the few games that tries to use the medium (gameplay) to incite emotions within a player. The game is designed to make you care about the two characters (particularly for the well-being of Yorda), and the language barrier puts the emphasis on actions, whether its guiding Yorda hand-in-hand across the castle, pulling her up across obstacles, or defending her from the shadows, rather than relying solely on dialogue.

Overall, I would say the game requires a certain amount of internal participation (for lack of a better description), since the game is very minimalistic in its approach, and not everyone necessarily wants that from a game (nothing wrong about that).

Around the Network

Let me just throw it out there that I don't care for Ico at all, but Shadow of the Colossus is literally my favourite game of all time. That is definitely worth playing. It's about as far from Ico as a game can be.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

yum123 said:
Cj2i3 said:
I disagree, but sometimes it can be the expectations you have when going into a game. I had no expectations and thought the game was very good. Did you happen to beat the game or are you just at a part that has you frustrated?

As for SoTC give it a try, if you don't like it Team Ico games just aren't your cup of tea, or you perhaps you were expecting something different.

IM about half way through and every part of the game has frustated me, so most likely wont finish but I hear the games only about 3-4 hours long anyway so may finish for the sake of finishing 

Play through it :) the special thing about this game is how you have to care about the girl :)

You want the story?

The Castle in the Myst has called for its sacrifice: a horned child, born once a generation. When, on a single night in his thrirteenth year, Ico's horns grow long and curved, he knows his time has come. But why does the Castle in the Mist demand this offering, and what will Ico do with the girl imprisoned within the castle's walls?

Should be Assassins Creed franchise.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Purchased it for the sake of collection, but did play SotC at a friend's and show nothing to be impressive about, but surely, it's incomparable to the overrated series that is Mario :)

Couldn't get into Ico, but I loved SotC.