By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anti-used gaming policy is good for gamers.

Euphoria14 said:
Carl2291 said:
Maybe if videogame developers didnt think they were working on the next big fucking Hollywood blockbuster, they wouldnt need mediocre games with small fanbases to sell 10 Million units.

The best way to increase profit, would be to actually start making videogames that people want to buy. Gaining consumer trust would be a start.

Stop cloning Call of Duty. Stop putting out unconvincing videogames. Stop developing games for 4-5 Years at a time. Stop putting out overpriced, shitty DLC. Stop putting DLC on the fucking disc. Stop advertising your product as something that it quite clearly isnt. Make a compelling product.

These companies need to stop blaming the consumer and look closer to home for the problems.

There is a reason why the Indie scene is doing so well right now. Its because they release new, good videogames, that dont cost a lot to make... And are worth the price you actually pay. Its controlled development and the likes of EA and Square Enix could learn a thing or two.

I was just about to post the same gif. Excellent post Carl.

Around the Network

First of all I'm a Nintendo Fan and frankly I won't be buying an Xbox one or a Ps4. My wii u and 3ds will be my only game consoles next gen and will just play the AAA games on steam. With that said...

The future is digital people. I usually buy my pc games digitally since there's no real reason for me to have to drive to the store when I can just download it from steam on sale. I used to be a physical disc only guy for consoles with huge shelves full of games but traveling with the 3ds helped me see the beauty of not having to carry around a crap load of cartridges around that I could accidentally drop somewhere. I've bought quite a few digital games that are available in retail. The idea of being able to switch between my games in my library is awesome. Honestly, I took all my ps2 games ripped them then placed them into boxes in my garage. I play my ps2 games on my pc now with an emulator. It's just so convenient.

All they'd have to do is lower the price of the digital games like how steam does it and people would gladly switch. I've bought a bunch of Wii U games digitally (that I definitively knew I was going to play for a long time) because of the money back incentive they had. I plan on buying animal Crossing digitally too since I know I'll be play that game till the end of time.

Only thing I have a problem with is the always online thing but that would go away if we all had digital products since they wouldn't have to worry about rampant piracy. It was already said the you can lend your game to others as long as you don't try to play the game while they have it installed their Xbox one at the moment. Why are people still bringing that up as a negative point?
With Ps4's push to cloud gaming we would always need to be online to game anyway.

Nice joke OP.

Being able to resell a game is pretty much one of the biggest reasons why I take the risk and buy these expensive $40 to $60 discs that I'm not guaranteed to enjoy. On the flip side, downloadable services reduce consumer risk by generally offering cheaper experiences of all sizes. So if I don't like it then, I can say I didn't pay that much for the game and basically not feel burned by my purchase. With both models, I'm more likely to purchase new games in the future.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

oniyide said:
Slimebeast said:
I agree with the OP 100%. The used games market must be crushed so that developers get more revenue and better budgets to create even better games for us all.

too bad thats not what is going to happen. First off, developers will get no more money. Publishers will, get that part right before you say anything. 2nd off, if anything everyone will get less money as less people will buy games because they will be less valuable by default. If anything games will get worst, since they'll just make the same crap that they know will sell.

Why are you pretending the price of games don't go down over time? After two years the games sell for half their normal price since everyone who can buy it at full price got it when it came out. RE6 released on consoles in the US at 59.99 New. It is 29.99 New right now and it hasn't even been out for a year yet. The poor gamers who can't afford to this hobby would simly have to wait a year before buying their games. Which is what the PC gamers do. If they can't afford the game or simply don't thing 50 is worth the entry price they wait a couple months to years to buy it. I waited till heart of the strom released before and bought the orignal SCII with the expansion since I knew it would be cheaper.

Around the Network

Nope, it's terrible for policy for consumers. It's not my fault nor anyone else's that developers/publishers can't flip a profit on a game because they can't efficiently budget it.

You got me. This thread is obviously joke/sarcastic in nature. The arguments that have been used to defend the indefensible are laughable. Limit choice and force a lump it or leave it approach onto potential customers and XBox 360 owners wanting to upgrade to a next generation console. The golden rule of retail is that the customer is king and is right most of the time. It is easier to keep loyal customers happy than spend lots of money trying to win over new customers. A pro-corporate/anti-consumer/anti-competition policy that aims to maximise profits at the detriment of customers is destined to fail. 

I predict that XBox One sales and market share of the 8th generation will be well down on this generation both in terms of sales and in market share. I do not even see the XBox One reaching beyond 60 million console sales. Microsoft is paying developers not to promote or advertise PS4 games, another cynical business move. Microsoft is so desperate for sales and it is taking desperate measures to curb its upcoming failure in the 8th generation console sales wars. All the money MIcrosoft has spent to promote its system and build its brand will count for nothing if it finishes third/last place in the console sales wars again. 

pokeclaudel said:
oniyide said:
Slimebeast said:
I agree with the OP 100%. The used games market must be crushed so that developers get more revenue and better budgets to create even better games for us all.

too bad thats not what is going to happen. First off, developers will get no more money. Publishers will, get that part right before you say anything. 2nd off, if anything everyone will get less money as less people will buy games because they will be less valuable by default. If anything games will get worst, since they'll just make the same crap that they know will sell.

Why are you pretending the price of games don't go down over time? After two years the games sell for half their normal price since everyone who can buy it at full price got it when it came out. RE6 released on consoles in the US at 59.99 New. It is 29.99 New right now and it hasn't even been out for a year yet. The poor gamers who can't afford to this hobby would simly have to wait a year before buying their games. Which is what the PC gamers do. If they can't afford the game or simply don't thing 50 is worth the entry price they wait a couple months to years to buy it. I waited till heart of the strom released before and bought the orignal SCII with the expansion since I knew it would be cheaper.

Read what you just wrote, RE6? thats retail, and thats my point. Im talking digital. PC games go down MUCH quicker in price, because their are more ways to buy on PC. What do you think will happen on a closed system like XBL and PSN? YOu think they will drop the price out of the goodness of their hearts? Nope Hell you can go on those services right now, and you can see my point being proved.

Max Payne 3 for PS3?? 15 bucks NEW retail, Amazon. PSN?? 70 freakng dollars. Far Cry3, 40 dollars new retail. PSN? 60  AC3 25 new retail, PSN 60 Persona 4 arena 25 new retail, PSN 45 dollar. BIoshock Inifinite retail 35 PSN 60NOw to be fair some of these are bundles, but a) maybe someone doesnt want the DLC which is IMHO mostly useless anyway, so they are paying for something extra they dont want. b) you can buy the retail then the DLC for the same price or it will still come out less.

Carl2291 said:
Maybe if videogame developers didnt think they were working on the next big fucking Hollywood blockbuster, they wouldnt need mediocre games with small fanbases to sell 10 Million units.

The best way to increase profit, would be to actually start making videogames that people want to buy. Gaining consumer trust would be a start.

Stop cloning Call of Duty. Stop putting out unconvincing videogames. Stop developing games for 4-5 Years at a time. Stop putting out overpriced, shitty DLC. Stop putting DLC on the fucking disc. Stop advertising your product as something that it quite clearly isnt. Make a compelling product.

These companies need to stop blaming the consumer and look closer to home for the problems.

There is a reason why the Indie scene is doing so well right now. Its because they release new, good videogames, that dont cost a lot to make... And are worth the price you actually pay. Its controlled development and the likes of EA and Square Enix could learn a thing or two.

^ this 110%, an amazing game thats exciting and unique doesnt need huge money to get made, and if it truly is a great experienc eit will end up selling, I think games like Amnesia the Dark Decent would be a good example

Yunero said:
Carl2291 said:

^ this 110%, an amazing game thats exciting and unique doesnt need huge money to get made, and if it truly is a great experienc eit will end up selling, I think games like Amnesia the Dark Decent would be a good example

ANd they dont need to sell a bajillion copies either.