By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NBA 2k14 also coming to PS4 and Xbox One (but not on WiiU this year)

NBA 2K14 will be available on October 1 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Versions made for Xbox One and PS4 are also in the works for their launches, SVP of Basketball Operations at 2K Sports Jason Argent confirmed on a conference call earlier today.

"We are not doing a Wii U version this year," Argent said. "The decision was made internally." Argent added studio didn't have enough resources to pursue a Wii U port while also developing for next-generation consoles. Though next-generation and current generation versions of NBA 2K14 will have "some overlap," they will be "distinct."

"The common thread, of course, is the game first and foremost is based on simulation basketball," Argent said. "Both current and next-gen will be distinct, unique experiences."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/06/nba-2k14-coming-on-oct-1-xbox-one-ps4-versions-at-launch/
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Well at least they brought up a somewhat understandable reason. Or not ?

Around the Network

They are likely using a new engine that didn't with WiiU support out the box. By next year they'll have that added and WiiU will be no issue.

This is why Nintendo needs to pony up and get support in those other engines beyond Unity that they are giving out for free.

RolStoppable said:
superchunk said:
They are likely using a new engine that didn't with WiiU support out the box. By next year they'll have that added and WiiU will be no issue.

This is why Nintendo needs to pony up and get support in those other engines beyond Unity that they are giving out for free.

How long will you keep lying to yourself? What's gone will not come back.

I don't like you sometimes.

superchunk said:

But NBA2k13 is already on WiiU. I doubt this year's version will use a new engine for PS3 or 360 and even if why was it easier to put it on these platforms but not on WiiU ? There is really no other reason other than too few people.
Which raises the question if the same is going to happen next year.

superchunk said:

Don't get your hopes too high. It might happen if the Wii U really picks up in sales, other than that I doubt it.

Is it even that expensive to port it to the Wii U?

Around the Network
Barozi said:
superchunk said:

But NBA2k13 is already on WiiU. I doubt this year's version will use a new engine for PS3 or 360 that couldn't be easily ported to WiiU, so there is really no other reason other than to few people.
Which raises the question if the same is going to happen next year.

Based on a PS360 code port. They want it to be based on the rest of next-gen code.

idk... maybe rols right and it doesn't matter in long run as Nintendo is only one not following the line with DRM so they are out of everything, especially this year to force as much adoption of MSony as they can.

Well, at least they'll be able to fill out their calendar a bit after E3...

Hopefully 4 or 5 of the new additions will be from a third party, though, but I'm not holding my breath

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

This E3 is going to be interesting, between Microsoft (according to rumor only) paying off third parties to snub the PS4 and third parties dropping Wii U left and right.

Could well be that PS3 and 360 will still be the stars this year. And 3DS, of course.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

its pretty obvious that EA cancelling all sports games for the Wii U was a clear signal to the gaming industry to ignore the system completely for sports games, and it appears that the industry is following suit.

i don't expect we will see a game from 2k until the Wii U has a large install base.