By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One details: connecting online, licensing, Kinect privacy

DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

So I can access my whole library at every Xbox One out there, just by logging in with my account and without any discs?

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

And people with 18.000 posts on a gaming forum complaining about connecting the console to the internet can not be taken seriously. I am sorry.

Actually this is very good news. VERY GOOD.

Im sure being told you're restricted is a great thing...somehow. Enjoy it.

Restricted?

Feel free to name me another console that allows you to access all (every single one!) your games on every console, just by logging in.

Feel free to name a console that will deny you access to all your games when the servers go down for more than 24 hours.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

So I can access my whole library at every Xbox One out there, just by logging in with my account and without any discs?

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

And people with 18.000 posts on a gaming forum complaining about connecting the console to the internet can not be taken seriously. I am sorry.

Restricted?

Feel free to name me another console that allows you to access all (every single one!) your games on every console, just by logging in.

....Go offline and try it. I beg of you.

Allowing my friends to play on my girls system is going to be awesome. I always have to buy 2 copies for the house.

Darc Requiem said:
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Restricted?

Feel free to name a console that will deny you access to all your games when the servers go down for more than 24 hours.

Then I'm pretty sure you just have to pop in the disc.

I don't know, used games sales are blocked by default and are only permissable at certain retailers if publishers allow it. That's pretty much near the worse end of what was originally speculated with maybe the exception of those rumours that there would be no used game sales at all. Which to be fair may still be the case if publishers decide it.

I don't think it will drive anyone away from gaming or anything, but I think gamers will be taking a drastically different view to their gaming purchases in the future if they realise the game they paid $60 for a few days ago has a resale value of $0 and is basically a paper weight if they don't intend to play it again.

I'm nearly a complete PC gamer now so this doesn't affect me too much, but it will be interesting to see what the consumers do as a result of this. Will publishers get more money from it or receive a shock as consumers tighten the purse strings? I think one thing for sure is that reviews will focus a bit more on how long the game's campaign lasts and reply value as a result.

For the record I expect Sony to do either the same or something very similar.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Restricted?

which never happened before. There was maintenance stuff going on, but I bett there will be solutions for this.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Restricted?

Playstation 4. If you choose to buy a digital copy anyway.  Thats the great thing about options. No/bad Internet or incoming Datacaps (speed reduction to 50kb/s, see (soon) Telekom/4G/3G buy physical copy and you can lend it too. Have great Internet that lets you download a 25-50gig game and want the Steam experience ? Buy a digital copy instead. Everybody wins.

Netyaroze said:
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

Restricted?

Playstation 4. If you choose to buy a digital copy anyway.  Thats the great thing about options. No/bad Internet or incoming Datacaps (speed reduction to 50kb/s, see (soon) Telekom/4G/3G buy physical copy and you can lend it too. Have great Internet that lets you download a 25-50gig game and want the Steam experience ? Buy a digital copy instead. Everybody wins.

So just for digital copies then. See, you are restricted.

*edit* and you can take the physical games with you for the XBox one as well.

Actually the Xbox One offers you more options here.

- Digital copy on every Xbox
- physical copy on every Xbox via Internet connection
- physical copy on every Xbox via disc

PS4:

- digital copy on every PS4
- physical copy on ever PS4

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Darc Requiem said:
DirtyP2002 said:

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

The older I get, the more I fear for the future of our society.

I'm afraid so...

Sorry for bad English.

DirtyP2002 said:
mike_intellivision said:
DirtyP2002 said:
LordMatrix said:
Soonerman said:
Great job MS! This clear stuff and it's a lot better than the absurd things fans of opposing consoles were saying. I will definitely be getting Xbox One. I also love how they're being fair to players that want to sell used games and to the developers to make the games.

Hell hath frozen over! I`m a Husker fan and I`m agreeing with a Sooner fan.

I really don`t see all the fuss over this anymore. The fears off privacy using Kinect 2.0 and Used game fees plus nobody being able to borrow games etc have been handled and are not nearly as horrific as originally speculated.

I am a Gamefly user however and I do hope they clarify whether or not Gamefly or even places I work for like Blockbuster will even be able to rent out Xbox One titles in some shape or form.

Unless you are in the Military or less developed country the whole 24 hour check in won`t be even noticed by most. If you are one of those few unlucky fellows you could at least use your phone as a mobile hotspot when needed to fix this issue.

EXACTLY.

People try to spin this as if this would be a big deal.

Before this clarification came out we thought:

- Kinect is always watching you
- Kinect is always listening
- MS will require a fee for used games
- MS will basically kill the used game market
- You can't share your games at all

Now we know:

- You can turn Kinect off. No listening, no watching.
- There won't be a fee for used games
- There will be a used game market
- You can share your games with anyone inside your house
- 10 family members can access your shared gaming library anywhere in the world on any Xbox One

And people are like 'OKAY NOW THEY HAVE GONE TOO FAR!'

No. It is the what happens to my games in 2020 when they shut the XB1 authentication servers down.   I have had one Internet outage (without power loss) longer than 24 hrs in 12 years in my house (5 days).  But I would fear loss of investment/value when MS takes down its end. And it will probably be buried in the EULA.

No. It is EA and other publishes setting up what value (if any) my game has on the used market. That is where the fee will be, Publishers will have the power to completely lock out used games in an effort to get around the first sale doctrine. They did it with PCs

I also think that Microsoft opened a Pandora's Box with the family issue as it will either hae to police it or see software sales potentially plummet because of large, new, extended groupings.

Why should MS shut down Xbox Live? In 2020 the Xbox One will still be sold, so this is not gonna happen.
Multiplayer might be shut down long after the successor of the Xbox One released, so about 2025, but the verification servers will probably run even longer. Those don't have to handle much data anyway.

So we are talking about an unlikely scenario, that MIGHT happen in 2030 or something. According to your profile you will be 66 years old then. If the value of your video games you bought decades ago is worrying you then... well... you should get your priorities right.

Dirty from Germany!

I didn't know what to bold...I'm at a loss for words. Anyway, it's hard to believe you believe that.

Sorry for bad English.