By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, in before E3 : who won the 7th generation ?

In the end, who "won" this (living room) console generation ?

Wii 356 56.33%

PS3 210 33.23%

X360 62 9.81%

Total:628

You might think that a console "wins" a generation by having the biggest "numbers". But the truth is a console wins when it offers manufacturers (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft), publishers (EA, Sony, Square-Enix, Nintendo, Capcom, Microsoft...) and gamers (us) the best.

To make up your opinion as a gamer, with what counts the most (besides hardware/services), games, I will make another topic with all the exclusive games per platform that I'll post here. So far I have the PS3 and X360 lists : http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161544

tl;dr = Wii sold the most (console/games), X360 racks the big ($), PS3 is the best (experience, in terms of hardware, services and game exclusives combined).

1/ TOTALS

Wii (released fall 2006): 99.85M machines and 888.00 softwares
PS3 (released fall 2006)77.45 machines and 708.08  softwares
X360 (released fall 2005)77.40M machines and 792.42 softwares

2/ PROFIT
Now we have to take into account that each consoles are sold with a different prices, different years. The same goes for games : some games are sold in bundles so they weren't "paid" and some consoles sell more AA games than casual

A. Consoles
Wii
End 2006 - 2009 : $250 > 2009 - 2011 : $199 > 2011 - Now : $150 = avg. price of $241 (x 99.85M = 24,1 B of console revenue)
PS3
End 2006 - 2009 : ~$499 > 2009 - 2012 : ~$299 > 2012 - Now : ~$250 = avg. prive of $391 (x 77.45M = 30,3B of console revenue)
X360
End 2005 - 2009 : ~$350 > 2009 - 2010 : ~$250 > 2010 - Now : ~$200 = avg. price of $294,8 (x 77.40 = 22,6B of console revenue) 

B. Games
Now it's complicated because bundles games are included in the price of the console, and there's no way to know exactly at how much each games was sold at the time it was being sold

Also in "software" they probably included downloaded games or DLC.

Just know that the average Wii game costs $40 (between 30 and 50 vith some $60) when the average PS3/X360 games cost 55 (most games between $50 and $60)

But given the number of Wii bundles games (Wii Sports, Resort, Play etc...) with no paid store or DLCs, and given that the PS360 have same average price but the Xbox 360 sold 90 millions more games, we can say that more profit was made with the Xbox 360 for softwares, then PS3 then Wii.

C. Services 
Wii : Free (Wii Channel)
PS3 : Free (95M subscribers on PS Network) + Paid PS Plus subscriptions (Unknown)
Xbox : Paid (46M subscribers to Xbox Live)

So once again in terms of numbers/profit it's hard to tell, the Wii is free, PSN as well except for PSPlus and Xbox Live is paid it's hard to say how many accounts of which type were sold.

3/ QUALITY
Now that's what's really important

1. Hardware

Design
Wii : Small, light
X360 : Average, heavy
PS3 : Large to Small, heavy to average

Controller
Wii : Genius
PS3 : Classic controller that some might say isn't confy
X360 : Lot of people say it's confy, other say it's too big

Power
Wii : Quickly outdated
PS3 = X360, and still going, but not has powerful as today's 6XXX AMD or 6XX GTX

Media
Wii : No HD, No Wifi, No support for other medias
PS3 : HD, DLNA, Blu-ray
X360 : HD, DLNA, no Blu-ray (HDVD)

Service
Wii : Few channels, but Free
PS3 : Free, with a furnished store + optional subscription
X360 : Compulsory subscription

2. Games
Finally! I did a list of all the notable (ie. not super crappy indie japanese hentaï games) games exclusives (only on the forementionned platform, not the other, or PC)

Now or later, it should be online in this link http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161544 , or I'll quote it with an edit here

PS: Feel free to add your data, remarks etc...Yes I know I didn't include cost of production/operation for consoles, it'll come.

Around the Network

atari

Everyone :/

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

bananaking21 said:
atari

I wanted to add the "tamagotchi" option for insanely hilarous people like you. But then I really wanted to have clear/honest/direct opinion

blublibla said:
bananaking21 said:
atari

I wanted to add the "tamagotchi" option for insanely hilarous people like you. But then I really wanted to have clear/honest/direct opinion

ohh in that case then lets be serious, sega won

Around the Network

Wii won.

so far the wii.

Wii. Sales have always been the determining factor and that doesn't suddenly change this gen just because Nintendo did it their way. They won fair and square. And say what you want about the Wii, but the games WERE there. Possibly Nintendos best first party lineup since the SNES? Even if you don't think the "Wii" won...Nintendo definitely did.

It is obviously the Wii, and you don't have to take into account just the number of consoles. Your "profit" section is also highly inaccurate, you can't call it a profit and then also call it revenue. Did Sony make any money selling the PS3 at a loss? No, they can't count as a revenue until they sold the console at cost or greater, same for Microsoft, so in the 7th generation, which company profited more from their console? We already know it was Nintendo.

jlrx said:

It is obviously the Wii, and you don't have to take into account just the number of consoles. Your "profit" section is also highly inaccurate, you can't call it a profit and then also call it revenue. Did Sony make any money selling the PS3 at a loss? No, they can't count as a revenue until they sold the console at cost or greater, same for Microsoft, so in the 7th generation, which company profited more from their console? We already know it was Nintendo.

So you are saying that Wii Sport Resort is the best game of this generation because it sold the most ?

As I said, a console is a winner depending on the perspective. For manufacturers it's the Wii in term of install based but in the end, the profit counts. For publishers it's the same, and Wii is far from being the most profitable. As for games, well all consoles have enough perks and game exclusives to be good, but in the end when you compare hardware, services and mostly, games, there are some platforms which offer beffet than other.