By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony makes alot of money

xwan said:

It is no surprise that I am a big sony fan, although, i do not hate the other consoles I think competition is good. This generation nearly destroyed Sony financially and they had to close down several studios including: Zipper, BigBig, one of their UK site, and almost Evolution (hope Drive Club will gain a good following). If Sony leaves gaming, this industry will be dominated by just Xbox and Wii, and that will be an extremely sad day.

I hope PS4 will be very profitable for them so they can start buying studios again and expand again, I think Sony smartly invested in alot of first party during their PS1 and PS2 golden era which really did help to shelter their PS3 early years. Without studios like Naughty Dog, Gueurilla, Santa Monica pumping out exclusive after exclusive in the > 8/10 range titles PS3 would have sinked like a rock.

Let's support Sony again, so they can buy more studios or build new ones, keep up with exclusive for years to come! If Sony goes under, it would be the darkest day in Video game history. More so then when Sega when belly up. We have all seen how generic 3rd party games get...... FUSE for example, created by Insomiac which was doing such a good job during their First (Second) Party years now just pumping out crap like FUSE.. it would be sad to see ND or G do that.

I'm curious as to why you think Sony goes under, it would be worse than when Sega stop making hardware?  Sega was a video game company, that's all they did.  Sony makes a little bit of everything.  If Sony got out of the video game business, you really think that would be worse than when Atari or Sega did...or if Nintendo did?  When it comes to video games, I tend to root for the video game companies. 

While I believe that the PS4 will do fairly well for Sony, it's not going to fix all of their troubles.  The PS2 went gangbusters, yet LTD profits for Sony's gaming division as pretty low, especially when compared to Nintendo.  Sony needs to fix a lot of leaks in their company to ever get back to what it once was, if they ever can.

Stop hating and start playing.

Around the Network

The big flop of 'After Earth' is going to hurt. They are probably going to lose at least 100 million on that one. That is unfortunate timing.

I don't think Sony will leave gaming - although the could sell it off. I would think they would become a 3rd party maker first. I could see them becoming a PC/X1 developer - or maybe Apple will snatch them up. And if the WiiU can get more sales, for that too.

But it's a bit too soon for doom and gloom.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Support sony? what, like the way people supported a company who got in to the gaming business for the RIGHT reasons (SEGA).

People always seem to forget that sony actually LOOKED DOWN upon gaming before Ken Kuturagi went over to them with all the ideas that he had stolen during his brief time over at Nintendo HQ, and then it dawned upon them that they could do what they do best in pretty much all of their business ventures...... BUY their way in to a position of prominence.

Long may sony's financial woes continue.

NYCrysis said:

Who will fund them? It's not all easy going if your studio shuts down or your parent company goes bankrupt. Who will fund the next Naughty Dog Game or the next Media molecule game? 

Banks.

This is a good thing, however, because it incorporates risk into the venture of game development, like a lot of companies experienced in the 16bit era. The result? Not so many rush jobs on games. Games were highly polished, and felt complete, because that risk encouraged studios to go that extra mile with their game.

If you get too many studios under the safe umbrella of a higher investor in the same industry, you'll find that many of them will eventually start to stagnate in quality.

xwan said:

I have got to disagree with that, in terms of Console gaming, the amount of exclusive contents and new IP sony is pushing far exceed what Nintendo has done. Nintendo's agenda was pushing Wii Shovelware with occassional Mario and Zelda IP. If Nintendo doesn't have their handheld, they would be pushing the same game for the past 20 years with minimal innovation.

Making same game over and over again, does not represent gaming. At least we saw several new IPs from Sony this generation.

1. Motorstorm (off road arcada racing)

2. Uncharted series

3. Infamous series

4. Quantic Dream's new IPs.

5. The Last of Us

6. Resistance

7. LittleBigPlanet

8. ModNation Racer

9. Various smaller games from Japan Studio i.e. Tokyo Jungle, Trash Panic, White Knight Chronicles

I am sure u can name a few more, but pushing new IPs, new experience, that's what is going to represent gaming, not rehash of the same old shit

Nintendo has as well

Xenoblade chronicles

Wonderful 101

Harmoknight

Fluidity

Pandoras Tower 

The Last Story

Just because they arent crazy popular doesnt mean they dont make new IP's. Just research it a little

Around the Network
xwan said:

I have got to disagree with that, in terms of Console gaming, the amount of exclusive contents and new IP sony is pushing far exceed what Nintendo has done. Nintendo's agenda was pushing Wii Shovelware with occassional Mario and Zelda IP. If Nintendo doesn't have their handheld, they would be pushing the same game for the past 20 years with minimal innovation.

Making same game over and over again, does not represent gaming. At least we saw several new IPs from Sony this generation.

2. Uncharted series

3. Infamous series

5. The Last of Us

6. Resistance

7. LittleBigPlanet

8. ModNation Racer

9. Various smaller games from Japan Studio i.e. Tokyo Jungle, Trash Panic, White Knight Chronicles

I am sure u can name a few more, but pushing new IPs, new experience, that's what is going to represent gaming, not rehash of the same old shit.

Uh, hate to break it too you, but "new ips" doesn't necessarily mean new gameplay. How many countless times have we seen another generic fps, racer, hack n' slash, etc, from Sony and ms.

I'd rather have new games with the same characters than vice versa, which is more what Nintendo does. And exactly how were groundbreaking games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit rehashes?

Sony is awesome and they have more money than microsoft in assets either way they will make lots of money in terms of profit! cause they do make roughly $72billion a year!

Metallicube said:
xwan said:

2. Uncharted series

3. Infamous series

5. The Last of Us

6. Resistance

7. LittleBigPlanet

8. ModNation Racer

I am sure u can name a few more, but pushing new IPs, new experience, that's what is going to represent gaming, not rehash of the same old shit.

Uh, hate to break it too you, but "new ips" doesn't necessarily mean new gameplay. How many countless times have we seen another generic fps, racer, hack n' slash, etc, from Sony and ms.

I'd rather have new games with the same characters than vice versa, which is more what Nintendo does. And exactly how were groundbreaking games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit rehashes?

Yah i can say every zelda is the same hack and slash mechanic, and every mario is jumping platform too. Every system has it's variety of games and you can't beat Sony when it comes to variety. Things like Little Big Planet started the whole create, share when Wii doens't even have a online networking running without its 15 thousand digit friend code. Tokyo Jungle u play a dog in a polluted town, and Quantic Dreams games are new experiences, as well as Uncharted basically brought third person adventure back being relevant again in the era that's dominated by FPS.

Sony probably has invested in more first party studio in the beginning of the gen than both MSFT and Nintendo combine, they are dedicated to gaming as any company it not more. Or else they would not let Kaz Harai sit the center of the corporation, a man build his legacy in the Playstation branch start with.

Sony should focus on fixing the vita first, it's doing horribly

bonkers555 said:

I don't feel the same. $ony and M$ doesn't represent gaming, to them gaming is something they use to push their agenda in other media. Nintendo and Sega on the other hand represent gaming to the core, video games is the only thing they push. The death of Sega was one the darkest day in gaming and if Nintendo go down the same way it's the biggest blow in Video Games history. If Sony goes down there will be other electronic giants like Apple, Samsung or Google could fill in the void.

I have no attachment to M$ or $ony. My love will always goes to Nintendo, Sega, Neo Geo and Atari because they represent gaming during the golden age and silver age of gaming.

What are you on about? Sony is the only company who's always catered to gamers.