By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony officially states that PlayStation 4 will not have DRM against used games

Sony has made it official that it won't be implementing any sort of DRM in the PlayStation 4 to stop the use of used-games The confirmation comes in the form of Sony retroactively having answered the question of used-game DRM. Kotaku had decided to contact Sony directly about the question, and the Sony representative pointed Kotaku towards a statement made by Sony studio chief Shuhei Yoshida back in February. 

According to Yoshida, "At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

Sony has been playing the PR game quite well with its next-gen console. Just recently, Sony boss Kazuo Hirai said that for the PlayStation 4, games come first. This comes in the wake of Microsoft's controversial Xbox One unveiling where the company talked about the Xbox One's TV capabilities for the majority of the event.

At the D11 conference, Hirai said, "The most important thing we need to do is agree and understand that the PS4 is a great video game console that appeals to video gamers." He continued, "If we miss that part, I don't think we get the initial establishment of the console. That formula has worked for us with all our consoles, including the PS3."

This doesn't mean that the PlayStation 4 won't have any non-gaming functionality, though. Hirai has said that the company will be revealing more non-gaming related functionality of the PS4 later."Providing other non-game content is an area we will reveal and talk about in the coming months, but it's first and foremost a video game console." Sony is bound to unveil more information about the PS4 at the upcoming E3.

The PlayStation 4 is expected to hit stores later this year.

Source:
http://tech2.in.com/news/console/sony-officially-states-that-playstation-4-will-not-have-drm-against-used-games/875088

Well ... at least its sort of a sigh of relief.

Around the Network

Get ready for Sony 1st party to not implement this, but the rest of 3rd parties will.

Anyways gives the Sony people a reason not to boycott the console now, but they'd better hold to their word and boycott the games that do require authentication.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Good for them, that's how you pleased the fans and gamers. Come out and just say it and get it over with.

Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Nice job Sony. PS4 is #1 world wide.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
Get ready for Sony 1st party to not implement this, but the rest of 3rd parties will.

Anyways gives the Sony people a reason not to boycott the console now, but they'd better hold to their word and boycott the games that do require authentication.

yeah people say they do this but really does it ever happen? Like with masseffect 3 with day 1 DLC people said they wouldnt buy it yet it has sold the most out of all the mass effect games :/

''it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

Keywords

HesAPooka said:
Saw this on reddit. It's funny watching people on there try to twist this around and still try to make Sony look bad.

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, which makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

According to Yoshida, "At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."

Well it's agood thing that Sony won't block used games but 3rd party publishers probably will.

Otakumegane said:
HesAPooka said:

In a way it still is, 3rd parties are allowed to do this.

And we all know EA and Activision will.

That means to a degree, Sony are supporting the used games DRM, wich makes Nintendo the only console manufacturer this gen not to restrict used games to any degree.

Honestly I'm a bit bummed that Sony "kinda" is going this route. And will still require you to go online for certain games. So it looks like I'll be getting a PS3 and sticking with it. This sealed the deal on my PS4 purchase in the future. 

It's no different than how it works on current gen consoles, which are entirely capable of DRM authentication through their networks. I'm sure that the same can be done on the WiiU as well.

This is all I wanted to hear. If the price and launch games are right, I'll be more than willing to get a PS4 now. :)

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D